By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LOST ODYESSEY

I'm am so surprised with the people on this website.

My mate purchased this game on day of release, now I knew it would be good but he rung me and said the words "It's better than Final Fantasy 7".

Of course I laughed and argued the point. But he answered me with "do you own it?"

I planned to buy it anyway, so I got it the next day.

Now I wont say on whole it's better than FF7, but so far 10 hours in it's currently better than FF7.

It's so Epic that you cant help to be amazed.( If your an RPG fan) During the first cutscene the game goes straight into combat.  No resolution change no fade out fade in. The gameplay is the cutscenes.

Those of you who own this what do you think?

It's definately the best 360 game by far for me. And Square enix need to take note because this is so good.

If you like Rpg's and dont own a 360, it's shame. Because honestly Hironobu Sakaguchi has pulled out all stops here. Amazing.

Heres the first 10 mins if you dont believe it. After FF12 I thought JRPG's were dying. Now I know they arent.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5565_en.html 

Around the Network

my friend has been lecturing me about how brilliant it is, and I might get a 360 for this, however, all reviews have said it is not revolutionary in the combat system, but is the story really good enough to make up for that?

Lol

Better than FFVII? No. And I do own Lost Odyssey.

Munkeh111 said:
my friend has been lecturing me about how brilliant it is, and I might get a 360 for this, however, all reviews have said it is not revolutionary in the combat system, but is the story really good enough to make up for that?
 The combat system is pretty similiar to Final Fantasy games just less annoying. From what I've played FF7 isnt as good so far. The story is certainly the best written rpg for many years. 

Saying a game is better than FF7 is like saying a band's album is better than Britney Spears.

But anyway, Lost Odyssey does look pretty good. What's the battle system like, exactly?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
selnor said:
Munkeh111 said:
 The combat system is pretty similiar to Final Fantasy games just less annoying. From what I've played FF7 isnt as good so far. The story is certainly the best written rpg for many years. 

Good, having only really played FF X, X-2 and XII I can't say that I have a huge RPG experience, but I did feel that FF XII concentrated more on the gameplay, although I will enjoy turn based games if they have a good story. In those cases I feel that it is more of an experience, I still remember the Moheian Highroad (something like that) from FF X, and the music was brilliant, I just hope LO can do that for me. I watched the game trailers review and I was very impressed

Metacritic:

Final Fantasy 7: 92%
Lost Odyssey: 79%

Sales:

Final Fantasy 7 = 9.78 million
Lost Odyssey = 340K

I'm not saying the game is bad, but Final fantasy VII was a much bigger success both critically and sales wise. With some critics claiming FFVII "redefined the RPG genre".

Oh by the way it's 4 discs!
Thats 37 Gb of Information. It's massive. If Blue Dragons length is anything to go by this game should be about 60 - 70hours. 200 if you do everything.

Dallinor said:
Metacritic:

Final Fantasy 7: 92%
Lost Odyssey: 79%

Sales:

Final Fantasy 7 = 9.78 million
Lost Odyssey = 340K

I'm not saying the game is bad, but Final fantasy VII was a much bigger success both critically and sales wise. With some critics claiming FFVII "redefined the RPG genre".

JRPG's dont score that big anymore. FF7 was rated when Jrpg's first made it big outside Japan.

FF12 got good scores and most Rpg fans will tell you It's one of the worst Jrpg's in years.( aside from Graphics) 

Garcian Smith said:
Saying a game is better than FF7 is like saying a band's album is better than Britney Spears.

But anyway, Lost Odyssey does look pretty good. What's the battle system like, exactly?

"The issue many took with Lost Odyssey was its deliberately old-school gameplay mechanics, particularly the traditional combat system, which several critics found to be dull and dated, as well as the game's use of random battles, which were further deemed an issue by their purportedly lengthy load times.Critics were also divided on the story, with some, like Gamespy, calling the plot and characters "shamelessly derivative".