By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people want Last Gen to die now? Cross-Gen Multiplats sell better its a fact

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Everything I said is based on an article i've read. I didnt have a problem with last gen ports until devs stressed the important of the current gen versions. I am also not talking about the profit because without the last gen consoles Tomb Raider 2 would've sold less than half of what Uncharted sold on one platform while being on five if the devs waited for next gen.

Crystal Dynamics stated that Tomb Raider 2 is being developed by a second team and that the integrity of the Xbox One version of the game will not be harmed : FACT

Mortal Kombat's last gen ports got pushed back: FACT

Titanfall was developed by a second team for the 360: FACT

I'm not stating the reasons based on my personal opinon, but rather from what i've gathered from devs. Personally I don't care unless the game is good. despite the profitability of launching on multiple consoles in a cross gen style it leaves the door open. 

Not once did you see me write " I think", "I feel" or "in my opinion".  I would play Tomb Raider on the or Last of Us on the PS3 without a problem. I am just responding to what the developers seem to have come to the conclusion of based on how fans react and how development schedules and finances are concerned.

You said ports take double the time and double the work: OPINION and WRONG

You said ports are too costly and gimps games: OPINION and WRONG

You said last gen ports need to be cut after two years: OPINION and WRONG.

Even though you didn't say "I think," "I feel," or "in my opinion" you still gave opinions: FACT

Here's my argument in a nutshell. Cross gen games are good for users who aren't interested in upgrading yet. Whether or not publishers should do them depends on the potential of that game selling on older platforms.

Obviously we don't want studios spreading themselves thin by trying to put their game on many platforms with a small budget. But companies like Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and other major publishers can afford to do it without sacrificing the quality of their 8th gen version.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

TC I assume you're also against exclusive games of any kind because they'd sell more if on other platforms, right?
*looks at sig*
ohwai

Ruler annoyed:

Why do people want Last Gen to die now? Cross-Gen Multiplats sell better its a fact

Because some people want better games (at least technically). Again... some people want better games, not the games that sell better.

I don't count myself to such people, but I understand these people.

Most people only want prettier graphics, that's it. The whole "they don't take advantage of the new hardware" crap is just that, crap.

Kuksenkov said:

Most people only want prettier graphics, that's it. The whole "they don't take advantage of the new hardware" crap is just that, crap.

Naughty Dog had to use tricks for Uncharted because what they had planned for the game to be larger much like what you are seeing with Uncharted 4. They had to basically play around with all the tools at their disposal to get the just enough of what could be handled last gen.

Around the Network

there's no incentive to. those systems are powerful enough to run new games in some meaningful way and have a huge install base.

PS4 has already stormed over 20m sold. The last thing we need is last gen dying and Sony under going massive shortages. Seriously they need last gen to live a while longer so they can keep up with demand. And the added bonus is the huge profits ps3 software sales currently give.

I want some good games on the next gen, companies might lower the development to make the games more equal.