By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first Shin Megami Tensei game - Tips for a beginner?

Anfebious said:

The compendium is useful to register demons that you liked/have a great combination of skills. Then you can summon them later to fuse them with other demons to make your new demon inherit those skills. Remember that everytime you fuse demons you can press b and cancel the fusion, and each time you chose to fuse them again the skill set of your new demon will be different. That way you can create demons with the skill sets you want.

But you shouldn't use it for common demons. Those can be recruited by talking to them! Just try talking with a lot of demons and you will start seeing a pattern, some of them react well to some answers. Soon you will get the hang of it and recruit any demon you want. There is always a random factor where the demon might leave or attack you anyway.

Yeah, I've already noticed some patterns, like some demons act like bratty children, others act senile, and some talk like cave men. The only one I kind of grasp is the child-like one, where they'll usually join me if I say no a lot.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Anfebious said:

The compendium is useful to register demons that you liked/have a great combination of skills. Then you can summon them later to fuse them with other demons to make your new demon inherit those skills. Remember that everytime you fuse demons you can press b and cancel the fusion, and each time you chose to fuse them again the skill set of your new demon will be different. That way you can create demons with the skill sets you want.

But you shouldn't use it for common demons. Those can be recruited by talking to them! Just try talking with a lot of demons and you will start seeing a pattern, some of them react well to some answers. Soon you will get the hang of it and recruit any demon you want. There is always a random factor where the demon might leave or attack you anyway.

Yeah, I've already noticed some patterns, like some demons act like bratty children, others act senile, and some talk like cave men. The only one I kind of grasp is the child-like one, where they'll usually join me if I say no a lot.

The cave men demons are usually aligned with the chaos path in those games so answers that have to do with a couple of key words like "a world ruled by strong people", "value strenght over all things", "courage" and those kind of things will make them join you.

As for the senile ones, they are the law ones. They belive in a world with order, some of them like to be called gentleman. They also like you to praise god and see humans as inferior beings.

Think about it this way:

Chaos demons: Anarchy

Law demons: Order

I don't know if what I wrote made any sense but that's how it works pretty much. Try to answer with things that fits their views and you'll get them!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

The cave men demons are usually aligned with the chaos path in those games so answers that have to do with a couple of key words like "a world ruled by strong people", "value strenght over all things", "courage" and those kind of things will make them join you.

As for the senile ones, they are the law ones. They belive in a world with order, some of them like to be called gentleman. They also like you to praise god and see humans as inferior beings.

Think about it this way:

I don't know if what I wrote made any sense but that's how it works pretty much. Try to answer with things that fits their views and you'll get them!

Oh wow! Yeah, that makes sense! Only, the only senile demon I recruited joined me because I told him I'd fuse him with someone young lol.

spemanig said:
Anfebious said:

Think about it this way:

Oh wow! Yeah, that makes sense! Only, the only senile demon I recruited joined me because I told him I'd fuse him with someone young lol.

We all know that old japanese folks are a bunch of perverts. Demons are no exception.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

We all know that old japanese folks are a bunch of perverts. Demons are no exception.

Yeah lol I got a laugh out of that.

Around the Network

I just beat the Minotaur! Fucking hell. I died so much.

I'm about to fight the Minotaur, too and this is also my first SMT game. I thought the learning curve was pretty steep for beginners on this game, but definitely worth it.

Lots of good tips in this thread, so I'm glad you created it, OP. I'll have to start fusing my demons instead of hoarding them. lol

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

That Minotaur was so hard! Answering the questions correctly makes it more manageable at least, but seems like cheating to find the `right` answers.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

spemanig said:
menx64 said:
My tips:

Patience
Fuse a lot
Go with normal difficulty at first.
Save a lot.
Enjoy the story.

After you beat this game go to SMT strange journey or soul hackers!

My only nervousness comes with fusing. I haven't been paying much attention to what I fuse, and I'm afraid that I'll end up with bad demon fusion due to this. Exactly how much attention should I really be putting into fusions. I've been particular about what attacks I pass on, but that pretty much it, since I'm unfamiliar with literally every demon.

what I normally look for is a good healear, a melee and and a de/buff caster. Try to find a good combination between attacks, healing a buff/debuff. 

Dont fuse just for the sake of doing it, but try to cover weaknesses and always get better stats. Some demons can grow quite a bit, so dont worry if you dont find a good demon to fuse, just keep using what it works until  you find a good match for a fuse. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

zelmusario said:
I'm about to fight the Minotaur, too and this is also my first SMT game. I thought the learning curve was pretty steep for beginners on this game, but definitely worth it.

Lots of good tips in this thread, so I'm glad you created it, OP. I'll have to start fusing my demons instead of hoarding them. lol

I went in pretty much knowing all the basic mechanics, so the learning curve wasn't as harsh for me lol. I did a lot of research to prepare myself.