By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first Shin Megami Tensei game - Tips for a beginner?

dam4rus said:
My tip is to walk with your 3DS more often, if you don't already have maximum play coins. When you die you have an option to spend your play coins, instead of macca. Trust me, you will NEVER have enough macca in this game unless you grind for relics.

As already stated, the beggining can be a bit overwhelming for beginners. I'm a veteran SMT player, yet the Naga/Minotaur/Medusa boss killed me a lot of times. After that you will have more freedom to grind/do quests, etc and the game becomes easier until the end, when the difficulty comes back again. Also don't forget: you unlock easy mode by dying a few times (3 times, if i remember correctly). So, if you want an easier difficulty don't load the game back, just deal with it that you lose some macca/play coin. I hope you enjoy this game, i think it's a great game even though it's not the best SMT game out there.

I've definitely unlocked easy mode already lol though I'm not going to lower the difficulty. It feels fair enough so far, though I haven't gone against any of the enemies you mentioned yet. I've just saved Navarre, so I'm a bit early off. I actually haven't died since I unlocked that mode, so at least I'm learning!

Around the Network

I'll be reading these tips as well, because I too am new at the series and have only barely begun the beginning of the game.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

noname2200 said:
leedlelee said:
My tip would be to not immediately dismiss the game as rubbish because it doesn't come natural to you...
It axes me the number of complaints I see because people feel they shouldn't have to grind or feel challenged...

Feeling challenged is great, but I'd happily argue that it's bad design to require "grinding." Perhaps you meant something else?

In the case of SMT IV, it's not so much repetitive fighting to level up as much as it's taking the time to figure out the best approach to a challenge...

What demons to recruit...

What fusions would work...

These things may take time...

But traditional grinding to level up won't get you very far...

Have a nice day...

I don't really have anything to add that Noname didn't already say, but I will comment on the comparison to Pokemon, since I've heard people use it before.

Based on the three SMT games I've played (IV, Persona 4, and Devil Survivor), the demon recruitment aspect feels a lot different than catching and training Pokemon. Pokemon generally seems to reward keeping one team with you, and your party will stay viable the entire game. In SMT, your demons will keep leveling up, but the moves they learn are pretty limited, so eventually you'll have to either scrap them or fuse them together into something new in order to stay competitive within the game. I think there is a way you can evolve your demons, but I don't recall getting very much use out of it, you'll defintely find yourself fusing demons much more than evolving them.

Personally I enjoy both, but there's seperate draws to each, so just keep that in mind if the demon recruitment was one of the things that drew you in.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Don't be afraid to fuse demons. Beginners usually get intimidated of fusing demons because they're unsure if the new demon will be worth it, and the fact that you lose two demons to gain one. Though save before you fuse demons because you can get screwed (rarely happens though). Also, learn your enemies' weakness; you'll easily breeze through battles once you know them. Lastly, save often. This is a series where you can die from a random battle.

Nocturne was my first SMT experience, and I loved it. The difficulty kept me on the edge of my seat because I was scared getting sunk into a random battle. It was tense but rewarding.

Around the Network

It's great that you are enjoying it so far! This series is a lot of fun. My first mainline SMT was Strange Journey. My first SMT was the first Persona, though. Since then I've played every main series game, and a lot of the side-games. It is a very fun series. I'd recommend Strange Journey, once you finish this game. Devil Survivor would be a good recommendation too, but you've mentioned you don't like SRPG's too much and its tone is somewhere between mainline SMT and Persona.

Don't give up and buffing is your friend.

sc94597 said:
It's great that you are enjoying it so far! This series is a lot of fun. My first mainline SMT was Strange Journey. My first SMT was the first Persona, though. Since then I've played every main series game, and a lot of the side-games. It is a very fun series. I'd recommend Strange Journey, once you finish this game. Devil Survivor would be a good recommendation too, but you've mentioned you don't like SRPG's too much and its tone is somewhere between mainline SMT and Persona.

Well if I beat this and like it, I'll probably attempt to play FE:A at some point down the line, as the biggest reason I was even interested was because of the cross over. Who knows, maybe that game can warm me up to the genre.

But yeah, I'm definitely liking it so far. I guess my biggest complaint is that a lot of the dialog is expository, which can get really boring, especially when it's coming from random NPC's and therefor not being voice acted.

My tips:

Patience
Fuse a lot
Go with normal difficulty at first.
Save a lot.
Enjoy the story.

After you beat this game go to SMT strange journey or soul hackers!

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

menx64 said:
My tips:

Patience
Fuse a lot
Go with normal difficulty at first.
Save a lot.
Enjoy the story.

After you beat this game go to SMT strange journey or soul hackers!

My only nervousness comes with fusing. I haven't been paying much attention to what I fuse, and I'm afraid that I'll end up with bad demon fusion due to this. Exactly how much attention should I really be putting into fusions. I've been particular about what attacks I pass on, but that pretty much it, since I'm unfamiliar with literally every demon.