By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy type-0 review thread 67-76 metacritic *reviews incoming*

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well... I kinda expect SE to have higher standards than this when it comes to making games... Like you have games like FFVII Crisis Core which isn't really a mainline FF game getting a score above 80 and that is where FF games should lie and not in 67-75 range cause that means that SE put a lot less effort into making the game... This will go for Nintendo games as well. If the next SSB is in 65-75 range, then I would skip that too. The last thing I want is to show to companies that I hold in high regard is that its okay for them to release games that aren't up to snuff. If anything, I might get it when its discounted

Now if the score goes up and it was only a matter of clickbait, then I wont care. And its not really a review score, its the sum of all the review scores from the good to the bad. And the review score represents the complaints so I dont get what the issue is

You have to realize that it's also a $60 port of a PSP game.  It's getting points deducted just because of that.

It's not wise to judge the experience of a game on its price, because the price will be lowered.  The value might be in question initially, but I feel that many will be doing themselves a huge disservice if they don't give this game a chance.  Reading the reviews of this game in particular is essential to knowing if you will like or even love it.

You don't want to miss out on a game you might love now don't you?  Not like, LOVE.  There are certain qualities higher in games that could be hidden just because there are those games that have lower scores.  You might value some of those qualities higher in Type 0 for instance than say a game that's all around good getting 90+ on metacritic.

Xenogears (gotta bring that game up again) only has an 84, a respectable score but dwarfed by say GTA5.  On the other hand I feel so much more attached and connected to Xenogears than GTA5.  I could never get such an emotionally evocative output from GTA5 as I do Xenogears.

I have to question also whether or not these reviews reached play times including the new game + mode.   I hear that's when Type 0 really starts to shine.  So many of these reviews are premature.

Well, it sounds like the issues lie within the combat system/level design/camera rather than it being a $60 HD port.

And I am not really judging the game by its price, I am judging it by the metacritic being noticeably lower than where I would put the FF franchise being into. The issue is that since I havn't played the game myself (obviously), it is up to the reviews to judge the game for me and tell me whether or not my money should be spent on this game and if the overall review scores are lower than what is expected of the franchise, then there is clearly something wrong somewhere. And metacritic gives you the opinions of the reviews from the good to the bad which are represented by scores which imo, is a bit more reliable than just judging the game based on a limited number of reviews cause you get more opinions.

The other thing is that, I am not judging a game like this compared to the review scores of other games like GTA V. I am judging this game compared to the scores of other games in its franchise. I hold the FF game to a 80(- + 1) standard and when they don't deliver that, there is clearly something wrong with it. Now, all this could be is just a clickbait review messing up the reviews scores which would make sense hence why if the score goes up, then I won't really care but if the score goes down, then I will probably not play it. I mean who knows, maybe if its cheap enough in a couple of years, I might buy it but as of right now, I don't think I will.

Don't get me wrong, I do buy games that are in the 70 range but its just I expect FF to be higher which it might end up being

And yea, if they are premature/clickbait, then the reviews in the future should raise that score to higher amount

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
VXIII said:

Read the reviews. There could be a big difference between two "bads" that scores can not explain.

It is widely accepted that the gameplay is solid. The main criticism is that the game is meant for a portable console in its design choices. And that is 100% true. This is not about the quality of the game, but about the suitability of it on a home console.

If they'd made this for the Vita we'd likely be seeing moderately better reviews. It still wouldn't be an 'amazing' game, but its design choices (compromises, really) would be much more easily forgiven on a handheld than a home console.

I do think it should have released at $40 though. It doesn't make much sense that a re-skinned PSP title is going for the same price FF15 will (arguable their more ambitious project ever).

ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well... I kinda expect SE to have higher standards than this when it comes to making FF games... Like you have games like FFVII Crisis Core which isn't really a mainline FF game getting a score above 80 and that is where FF games should lie and not in 67-75 range cause that means that SE put a lot less effort into making the game... This will go for Nintendo games as well. If the next SSB is in 65-75 range, then I would skip that too. The last thing I want is to show to companies that I hold in high regard is that its okay for them to release games that aren't up to snuff for them. If anything, I might get it when its discounted

Now if the score goes up and it was only a matter of clickbait, then I wont care. And its not really a review score, its the sum of all the review scores from the good to the bad. And the review score represents the complaints so I dont get what the issue is

Good thing it has a 76 =P

Also Crisis Core pulling an 80 on a handheld vs Type-0 pulling a 76 on PS4 are very different. Crsis Core was compared to PSP games, Type-0 has to compete with games as large in scale as Dragon Age Inquisition while working with the limiations of what the PSP could do.

Also my issue with review scores is 5 = Average and 7 = Average depending on the reviewers. Without reading the review or knowing how the reviewer scores games you have no way of knowing what they think.

Loll well as I said, if the review scores go higher, then I won't have any issues buying the game

And I doubt they are actually comparing an HD remaster to a large scale games like DA:I cause if they did, then they are doing reviews wrong which again, should go up when more "legit" reviews come out.

And yes, I get the whole, "its dependent on the reviewer" but again, as more and more reviews come in, the score should increase if the game deserves it or decrease if the game doesn't deserve it. And I am pretty sure most reviewers know how people feel about review scores, specially the ones that have been in the industry for a very long time. And not everyone really has time to go through all the reviews and read them hence why this thing exists

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Type-0 has a better battle system, has airships, is open world and has a better story and more interesting characters. I'm a bit surprised its getting a lower score than XIII..

Would have done better on Vita in my opinion

Still has a 76 though which is pretty good

Around the Network

Wrong thread T_T

Gaming Trend... seriously a 45/100?... from what ive seen and read about the game it seems about a 75 - 80 (or even a 83 since it does seems pretty fun to play), and thankfully the majority of scores are in that range and some of them even above that.

It's almost a staple at this point to lower a games score because the reviewer can't comprehend proper nouns.

Seriously terms like l'Cie and fal'cie aren't that hard to understand.

Wagram said:
It's almost a staple at this point to lower a games score because the reviewer can't comprehend proper nouns.

Wait are they genuine complaints of a reviewer?? O_O

ktay95 said:
Wagram said:

Wait are they genuine complaints of a reviewer?? O_O

Several reviews complaining about not understanding the story due to proper nouns.