By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy type-0 review thread 67-76 metacritic *reviews incoming*

Those reviews are better than I expected. Seems to be another polarizing entry in the series, unsurprisingly, so I'll reserve final judgement until I play it myself. The critical reception falls in line with other modern entries and I expect the same from XV, but maybe the demo will change my mind.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Oh snap Final Fantasy has moved from a series that scores in the 90s to a series that scores in the 80s and now in the 70s. FFXV must be as good as FFIX if possible to return the series to its legendary status

Most people who played the crack translated version on the PSP said it was awesome. Something about this game said "nitch" so I'm not shock by the mix review. This game is solely for the JRPG fans.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Hardcore Gamer is sure complaining, but first, ignore "2.5/5 score" don't matter. I think i agree with this reviewer.

GamingTrend.... No comment.

SjOne said:
Oh snap Final Fantasy has moved from a series that scores in the 90s to a series that scores in the 80s and now in the 70s. FFXV must be as good as FFIX if possible to return the series to its legendary status

First of all it's a spinoff and second it's an HD remaster of a PSP game which says a lot in terms of the criticism pointing to its design. A portable game designed for portability will never be perfect enough as a home console game.

Around the Network

Only time will tell. Should be delivered to my door in the morning. This is going to be my first FF game since I wanted to start exploring the series before FFXV comes out. Hopefully I don't end up starting with a dud xD

Is this another game that some people are going to write off becuase of a sub-80 metascore, without caring about what the reviews actually say?

It's an bad port with bad pricing. Does that mean it's a bad game? We already knew about the graphics and the price and it's my impression that FF fans' greatest concern is the actual gameplay/story, of which the general impression seems to be quite positive.

sundin13 said:
Kowan said:
GamechaserBE said:

Oh oh....

When you pop in Type-0, one of the first things you'll see is a cut-scene with the following chunk of narration: 

And so the Milites Empire, home to the White Peristylium, invaded the neighboring Dominion of Rubrum. As soon as the declaration of war was made, the Militesi main fleet swarmed into all corners of Rubrum. 2

Again, this is one of the first things you see. It goes on:

At the same time, a separate fleet was charged with a sneak attack on the Vermillion Peristylium. A l'Cie accompanied this task force. Using a l'Cie to invade a sovereign state was a direct violation of the Pax Codex, a treaty created by all four Crystal-States of Orience. The besieged peristyilum attempted to repel Milites's magitek armors… 3

...you know what, you get the idea. Final Fantasy Type-0 isn't afraid to be incomprehensible, spitting out proper nouns like it's trying out for Worst Tolkien Impersonation at the bookstore. But unlike, say, the old spinoff Final Fantasy Tactics—which is similar to this game in a lot of ways—Type-0 doesn't have strong enough heroes and villains to convince you that this is a world worth investing in. It's gritty, sure, but it doesn't have a whole lot of heart

From Kotaku but they are mostly  positive about the other elements http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-the-kotaku-review-1691651331

That's not so hard to understand. 

And so the Milites Empire. home to the white peristylium(A school that holds a crystal. The colors are the distinction between the schools) invaded a dominion of a country which caused a war."

So this white school(lol) also attacked this other school(vermillion) and used an illegal way in doing so. The Vermillion school defended back. This vermillion school is your school, where class zero resides.

Jason(from Kotaku) just couldn't keep up with the terms.

Whether or not you can translate that into something comprehensible, it is still bad writing. People tend to just filter out jargon, because it just doesn't mean anything. You really need to go the extra mile to make that stuff work, and judging by those snippets, this game doesn't do much of anything to make that mess of jargon mean anything. I know that if I opened a book and saw that, I would instantly close the book and walk away because that is just bad writing. I think it deserves to be pointed out, because I would assume that the majority of people hearing that segment would get virtually nothing out of it.

If it were a book I doubt it'll be written the same way. Video games/ movies and books are written differently. That snippet is shown in the beginning. By that time you will not know anything about the game, apparently. As the story progresses you will then be more familiar with everything. Also most of those are not jargons, they are specific names of places in the game which the game will show you. The word peristylium may be considered a jargon but since the game shows you what it is anyway then you'll be able to understand right away what it's supposed to be whether it be specific or vague.

I agree it would be bad if this was just that - a text shown in a blank screen leaving you doing all the work of what is being talked about but no it's not. Visuals are shown with the text which helps a lot in letting you know what is being talked about. I guess sure it might still be a bit hard for others even with the accompanying visuals but to say it's near incomprehensible is just a bit unfair.

Kowan said:
SjOne said:

First of all it's a spinoff and second it's an HD remaster of a PSP game which says a lot in terms of the criticism pointing to its design. A portable game designed for portability will never be perfect enough as a home console game.

Still the trend exists. Final Fantasy XIII-2 got a 79 on Metacritic and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII got a 66 on Metacritic, and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn got a 78 on Metacritic.

SjOne said:
Kowan said:

Still the trend exists. Final Fantasy XIII-2 got a 79 on Metacritic and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII got a 66 on Metacritic, and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn got a 78 on Metacritic.

A realm reborn has an 86(Ps4, which got majority of the reviews)and an 83(PC) in MT. It was widely praised.

The Ps3 version(78) got a lower score because of the technical limitations of the console. It was just not for the Ps3.