By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario, sales of Nintendo's most prominent franchise.

Here's a fun fact, the best selling console game in Japan EVER is the original Super Mario Bros. and by a pretty big margin too as NSMBWii takes the #2 spot in that list, you can see the difference between the two.

Around the Network

i thought SMG2 was closer to 10mil.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

This is something that's always bothered me, but why are bundles consider as sold units? I find the feat of the New Super Mario Bros series much more impressive in terms of sales considering most people had to buy those separately.

yoscrafty said:
This is something that's always bothered me, but why are bundles consider as sold units? I find the feat of the New Super Mario Bros series much more impressive in terms of sales considering most people had to buy those separately.

Because why not? It wouldnt make any sense if we werent since you know.. we wouldnt keep track of all games sold. I mean, NSMB was also bundled, obviously not sold as many units as the original but still.

Wouldn't expect anything less from the face of video games

Around the Network

I believe the Wii U - NSMBU and SM3DW would reach 5M lifetime sales. Great stats but we all know Mario on consoles ain't that great in recent times but handheld versions is still in good sales. Hope Nintendo could continue to produce great Mario games. Mario Galaxy 3 next year?!

kljesta64 said:
i thought SMG2 was closer to 10mil.

That's how it usually goes with Nintendo sequels, even when they're superior.

Seems it outsold the original in Japan at least. 

If you type in mario here.. All mario franchises, the total sales lies at 540mil copies... Beast indeed

I wonder what the total sales of all games with Mario in it as a prominent character are? hmmm gonna check something....

edit- ok so I just did a database search with the word Mario.... 539 million, that not even counting series he is a prominant character but not in the name of the game like Super Smash Brothers, or any other games he is in that does not have his name in the title.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

and this doesnt even include the other mario games like mario kart or mario galaxy