By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When to start gaming

I have a 3 year old son who will be 4 in a few months. Any experience on when it is best to start playing games with your children? Any age that fits best?

I thought maybe wait till he is 5 or so...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Whatever age it is when they ask you if they can play games on your console/PC/whatever...

I think another important question is what he should start gaming on? Go for the 'from beginning to now' route, or jump right in to current gen?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Depends on it it helps them develop. Anything that can encourage reading, maths skills or writing, I'd say go for it.

Try a Leapfrog.

Hmm, pie.

No sooner than when their personality has formed.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
No sooner than when their personality has formed.

So maybe two years after they start drinking? Thats a bit late...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

KLXVER said:
Whatever age it is when they ask you if they can play games on your console/PC/whatever...

If I would show him he would want to play. As of now he knows the Wii U as our netflix player.

Faxanadu said:
KLXVER said:

If I would show him he would want to play. As of now he knows the Wii U as our netflix player.

Then show him.

Let him play pokemon. That should be fine.

Faxanadu said:

I have a 3 year old son who will be 4 in a few months. Any experience on when it is best to start playing games with your children? Any age that fits best?

I thought maybe wait till he is 5 or so...

My daughter is 2 and a half, and she is already decent in Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds on the phone.

Right now, she is interested in Fat Princess Piece of Cake on Vita (it's a match 3 type of game). Match 3 is still a bit tough, but it helps her learn shapes and colors.

Of course, all of those are touchscreen, I think she is still a year or so away from using a controller. Touchscreen feels natural and instinctive, controller will demand a lot of practice.