By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A PSN User's account got hacked, $600 lost, and Sony apparently, can't help.

Captain_Yuri said:

Right, but I very much doubt that he has any possibility of seeing if it was a hacking, let alone prove it. Perhaps Sony could check and see. Though like you said, even if they do, and it appears to have happened, they probably wouldn't admit it.

But the reality is, a lot of people are stupid with their passwords, and have been since their inception. Even I have guessed a stranger's email password correctly before. On the first try.
So what do you think is more likely? That a person used illegal measures to hack this particular PSN account, only to waste the guy's money and activate his own PS4 (which I'm guessing Sony can easily see which one it is, and shut it down). Or that this guy has been careless with his password, and now in his desperation wants to try to get back what he lost?

I would guess it's the latter.
It's a very common thing that happens all the time. People screw up, and then they blame someone else to try to to recuporate their loss.
 Why just a few months back I threw away my iPhone charger, and planned to buy a new one. And a week later I read an article about how that particular model tends to burst into flames, that Apple will exchange your old charger for a new one that's safer. Maybe you can guess what I told Apple when I called them up. Hey, they're a multi billion dollar company, and sold me a product that could have burnt down my house while I was sleeping. I figured they owed me as much. lol

Hmm maybe there is a confusion somewhere cause when I said he provided "clear proof," I was referring to the fact that he had unauthorized transactions in his account and not that he proved how someone hacked it and etc cause in order for him to prove it to that level, he would probably need admin access to PSN as well as a lot of other things.

And sure, it could be that his password sucks and its could be that its 123456789 but that doesn't stop the fact that he had unauthorized transactions done in his account. Sony is even investigating it and said that they have found the IP of the person was traced back to somewhere in Europe. Now, people are idiots all the time, thats a proven fact but a good company with a good customer service would refund him the money when an unauthorized transaction like this has happened regardless of whoes fault it is because he didn't make those transactions... Someone else did! And its all digital so all they would have to do is deactivate the games on his account and refund him the money. He is only asking for his $600 back and he has every right to get it back and Sony are idiots for not doing so cause this is exactly how you break trust

It is impossible for him to have a European friend? I have lots of European friends. Where the IP Address is from does not prove a thing. So I can get one of my Euro friends to give me their info and buy stuff on their credit card and get FREE stuff?!?! SWEET!!!!...... Then I will give them mine and they can get free stuff!!! :) 

Totally not going to do that but you get my point

Around the Network

What is it with gamers always looking for the console manufacturers to get them their money back?

Contact your damn bank

rolltide101x said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Hmm maybe there is a confusion somewhere cause when I said he provided "clear proof," I was referring to the fact that he had unauthorized transactions in his account and not that he proved how someone hacked it and etc cause in order for him to prove it to that level, he would probably need admin access to PSN as well as a lot of other things.

And sure, it could be that his password sucks and its could be that its 123456789 but that doesn't stop the fact that he had unauthorized transactions done in his account. Sony is even investigating it and said that they have found the IP of the person was traced back to somewhere in Europe. Now, people are idiots all the time, thats a proven fact but a good company with a good customer service would refund him the money when an unauthorized transaction like this has happened regardless of whoes fault it is because he didn't make those transactions... Someone else did! And its all digital so all they would have to do is deactivate the games on his account and refund him the money. He is only asking for his $600 back and he has every right to get it back and Sony are idiots for not doing so cause this is exactly how you break trust

It is impossible for him to have a European friend? I have lots of European friends. Where the IP Address is from does not prove a thing.

Its not impossible but when Sony themselves are saying that his credentials have been compromised, I am pretty sure its legit... And I don't get whats so hard to understand about this... Sony themselves have investigated the sitution and came to the conclusion that it is indeed was unauthorized transaction and Sony has access to all the accounts so if they deactivate the games and refund the money, it should be as simple as that...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

kinisking said:
pokoko said:
On a credit card? Call the credit card service. Unless it's with some rinky dink bank, most credit cards offer protection against online fraud. If someone buys $600 of stuff with a stolen credit card at Wal-mart, you go to the credit card company. Isn't that what anyone else would do?

And his account was hacked? He's got proof of that? Because it's much more likely that the breach was on his end or his password was cracked somehow.

This sounds odd.

"Additionally, Kadjar was advised that if he were to speak to his credit card company and request a chargeback, he would have his PSN account banned, losing all his purchases, trophies, etc… Which is something Sony has been known to do"

I didn't say a chargeback, I said file a case of online fraud.

Angelus said:

What is it with gamers always looking for the console manufacturers to get them their money back?

Contact your damn bank

Sony threatened the guy basically saying "If you escalate this to your bank, we will permaban you." 

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Angelus said:

Contact your damn bank

Sony threatened the guy basically saying "If you escalate this to your bank, we will permaban you." 

Wtf. Seriously?

Do they need the money that badly lol

Angelus said:
jlmurph2 said:

Wtf. Seriously?

Yeah, again, I'm not really sure how this would all work out in court, frankly.   But, all that aside, my very first step would be to challenge it w/ my bank.  It wouldn't be to call Sony.  And I don't think there's any court or jury out there who'd say it's reasonable to 'check with Sony', before challenging a charge to your bank account. 

mornelithe said:
Angelus said:

Wtf. Seriously?

Yeah, again, I'm not really sure how this would all work out in court, frankly.   But, all that aside, my very first step would be to challenge it w/ my bank.  It wouldn't be to call Sony.  And I don't think there's any court or jury out there who'd say it's reasonable to 'check with Sony', before challenging a charge to your bank account. 

My thoughts exactly 

Hiku said:

Well I don't think he can even prove that someone had unauthorized access to his account. (And unauthorized access is not the same as unauthorized transactions being made. Think of Share Play incidents where the other person deletes your save files.) Because in order to do that, he would have to be able to prove that this wasn't someone he had given his password to. And if this was the result of him sharing his password with someone, then he should not be refunded. Not only because it would have been his fault, but also because it came as a result of him perhaps trying to scam Sony, by going 50/50 on digital titles with someone else. Though on the other hand, there's probably no way for Sony to determine for certain if that's what happened either. Unless his password was rather complex, and the culprit got it right in one try without any hacking. Perhaps that's part of their investigation? Or if he had any online contact (in games) with an account matching the IP adress that they found? Etc.
I don't think a company should just always refund people right away before concluding an investigation when it comes to things like passwords, which we are supposed to be responsible for.

Though it appears now that Sony came to the conclusion that what transpired gave him the right to a refund.
No harm in investigating to make sure first. :)

Well he can to a certain extent cause firstly, which asshole friend would do such a thing and secondly, the way that the transaction worked screams unauthorized access because buying $600 worth of games in such a short time is very unnatural. Save file and buying games are different things cause sure, a person can delete a save file but buying $600 worth of games in such a short time doesn't make any sense... And sure, there are scammers everywhere but the issue isn't about scamming... The issue is their policies cause even if what he said turned out to be true (which it is), there is hardly anything he could do about it cause according to Sony themselves, if something like this happens, he is limited to only these things:

1. They can only refund up to $150.

2. I can dispute the charges with my bank, but that will result in my account being banned.

3. I cannot unban my account, and will thus lose my purchases ("but you only have the Last of Us and some of our free games, so it's not a big deal")

4. Whomever hacked my account deactivated my PS4, and activated their own. Customer support will only permit one activation every 6 months. I'm locked out of logging into my own account on my PS4 for six months.

Which is why they are idiots because even if they concluded that what he is saying true, he would be limited to those things in terms of getting any issues resolved. And yes, he might be getting a refund now but clearly, the only reason Sony is now revising their policies and probably giving him a refund is because this exploded all over the internet and if it didn't, they wouldn't have which is proven by how they acted before this got spread. Now I understand the whole scamming and investigating and thats fine cause no Company should give a refund without investigating it first when it comes to situtions like this but the fact that they acted soo poorly before it got spread shows just how terrible their customer service really is when it comes to this kind of a sitution which is what my issue is

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Angelus said:
jlmurph2 said:

Wtf. Seriously?

It sounds bad, but it is the right thing to do. Once you take it to the bank, it essentially becomes a fraud case, plus the fact that your account has been compromised. The safest precaution is to close down the account.