By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Blue Dragon as bad as some say?

I am going to need an RPG to play once I am done with Lost Odyssey and I am going to need another JRPG style game to keep me busy. I want to try to stay away from Eternal Sonata since it is coming to PS3 and will most likely have extras so I will pick it up then. Mass Effect seemed interesting until I saw that it looked like a 3rd Person Shooter disguised with some RPG elements. Am I horriby off?

I played the Blue Dragon demo and it was boring, it seemed like all my characters were beefed up and I had nothing to do besides fight with no purpose as to why. Maybe the super buffed up characters threw me off.

Is this game as bad as that demo or is it worth a pick up for a JRPG fan? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I love Nobuo Uematsu for his work in LO and Final Fantasy and who doesn't love Akira Toriyama?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I strongly recommend the game especially if you felt that way about the demo as it was exactly my feeling. That demo was really bad as you had access to EVERYTHING which is nice in theory but it just makes it seem like the game is super easy and boring. Is really a nice jrpg. Enjoy!

The battles are kinda repetitive and the voice acting is annoying. Overall the game never rises above being mediocre. I got bored pretty fast and I just quit playing it after 4 days. You better wait for Eternal Sonata, WKS or FFXIII. The DS has a pretty good JRPG line up too. The Wii has some pretty good JRPG's coming up too but either way you need to be patient or buy the the Xbox360 version of Eternal Sonata instead, depends if the extra's will be worth it or not.

Blue Dragon was a disappointment but was not bad perse

I liked Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata, but loved Mass Effect.

Around the Network

I love Blue Dragon. If it is too easy, there is a free download to make it very difficult.

Euphoria14 said:

I am going to need an RPG to play once I am done with Lost Odyssey and I am going to need another JRPG style game to keep me busy. I want to try to stay away from Eternal Sonata since it is coming to PS3 and will most likely have extras so I will pick it up then. Mass Effect seemed interesting until I saw that it looked like a 3rd Person Shooter disguised with some RPG elements. Am I horriby off?

I played the Blue Dragon demo and it was boring, it seemed like all my characters were beefed up and I had nothing to do besides fight with no purpose as to why. Maybe the super buffed up characters threw me off.

Is this game as bad as that demo or is it worth a pick up for a JRPG fan? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I love Nobuo Uematsu for his work in LO and Final Fantasy and who doesn't love Akira Toriyama?

Mass Effect isn't a JRPG, but it is most definately a WRPG.  it is excellent.  Combat is very secondary to the RPG elements of the game such as character building, dialogue and story advancement.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Blue Dragon was the worst demo I ever played. I absolutely despised it.

Then I bought the game. After playing for several hours, I suddenly realized that it's one of the best JPRGs I have played in years.

The only downside is that it seems too easy. Luckily, there's a free patch that steps up the difficulty level.

Here is my review of the game, though even I am a little embarased to post this after my recent writings:

http://www.theancientgamer.com/index.php?/site/comments/blue_dragon/

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Blue Dragon isn't bad, per se... but you could do better.

I'd say give Mass Effect a go... I haven't beat it yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far. It is quite awesome, and it's not a "shooter w/ RPG elements". It is a full blown RPG, with action also.. It's awesome. You can't go wrong with that game.

blue dragon is a very good game.

it has some really good touches for an rpg like you can seen the enemys on field and then goes into a turn based battle, and the leveling up system is neat.

i don buy much games for the 360 that much these days but blue dragon was a cool game.

my only gripe was at the end boss, it has a funny sve system that you cant go and level up and go back in so basically i was stuck on last boss with wrong set up.

but deffo gave it a go, yes the demo is shyte but full game is neat. u will find it so cheap now, i got mine for £10 and lasted me a good 35 hours

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...