By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global hardware 28th February 2015. (USA SW, Last week adjustments)

Kerotan said:
uran10 said:
Kerotan said:
Burek said:
20.2 million for PS4. VGC tracking spot on

What happened to WiiU, it's dropping like a rock?

i was wondering the same. with china launch coming and some big releases in japan the vita might maintain it's lead or even increase it over the wii u. 

Mario party, X and splatoon will have so much fun :)

i think you'll be surprised with how little hardware they shift. 

I think you'll be surprised by how Much they shift. X has hype, a lot of hype and a bundle and releases in Golden week. Its going to do 40k+ for Wii U in japan launch week. Mario Party is Mario party, it will provide a pretty good boost. Splatoon is the odd ball of the group. It has the power to move a ton of units, but it also has the power to not do much.  TBH I think X is gonna do more than 40k by a lot but I'm taking it easy on that but it will be huge world wide. Splatoon is being shown off everywhere and A LOT of people like it. It will move a significant amount of units as the exposure continues. It has not missed any directs since it was announced. They are pushing it harder than they pushed kart. You sir are underestimating them. I think Mario party will be the smallest boost.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
nanzano said:
Kerotan said:

i was wondering the same. with china launch coming and some big releases in japan the vita might maintain it's lead or even increase it over the wii u. 

WoW I completly forgot about china launch! Thanks kerotan!

I guess Vita will get a 100k boost from China -> Vita will be then bigger than Wii U overall in 2015!

uran10 said:
Kerotan said:
uran10 said:
Kerotan said:
Burek said:

I think you'll be surprised by how Much they shift. X has hype, a lot of hype and a bundle and releases in Golden week. Its going to do 40k+ for Wii U in japan launch week. Mario Party is Mario party, it will provide a pretty good boost. Splatoon is the odd ball of the group. It has the power to move a ton of units, but it also has the power to not do much.  TBH I think X is gonna do more than 40k by a lot but I'm taking it easy on that but it will be huge world wide. Splatoon is being shown off everywhere and A LOT of people like it. It will move a significant amount of units as the exposure continues. It has not missed any directs since it was announced. They are pushing it harder than they pushed kart. You sir are underestimating them. I think Mario party will be the smallest boost.

I'm just being realistic 

Kerotan said:
uran10 said:
Kerotan said:
uran10 said:
Kerotan said:
Burek said:

I'm just being realistic 

There is a difference between being realistic and pessimistic. What I did was being realistic from what is currently going on. In fact I didn't even take into account the crazy push nintendo is giving X in Japan. I'm not gonna expect a ton, but Mario party 10 launches aligned might give 60k for wii U WW, splatoon and X will be more aligned and X has a chance to be more than that in Japan alone due to its launch timing, bundle and marketting push. like I said I'll play it safe with X and stay with 40k but chances are it will do a lot more. You are underestimating these games.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

PS3 doubling 360
PS4 almost tripling X1
PS4 significantly ahead in NA
Now imagine if PS4 gets a Fall $100 price cut...(even $50 would be big)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
uran10 said:
Kerotan said:

I'm just being realistic 

There is a difference between being realistic and pessimistic. What I did was being realistic from what is currently going on. In fact I didn't even take into account the crazy push nintendo is giving X in Japan. I'm not gonna expect a ton, but Mario party 10 launches aligned might give 60k for wii U WW, splatoon and X will be more aligned and X has a chance to be more than that in Japan alone due to its launch timing, bundle and marketting push. like I said I'll play it safe with X and stay with 40k but chances are it will do a lot more. You are underestimating these games.

You see that's the thing.  You're being optimistic and i still don't consider those once off boosts to be much. I'm being more realistic and will go with even smaller boosts than the ones you mentioned. 

PS4 seems to have become the defacto console of the generation. I think it is now selling based purley on its early lead and its a case of buy the one everyone else has so we can share games.

50% markets share is probably only a few months away now.

Ryng_Tolu said:

PS4 fter the adjustment is still dropped 180k in January (less than 150,000 in a week).
People can eat crow...

Any way, still amazing sales for PS4!

I don't feel like previous week was adjusted it look the same numbers as before

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

platformmaster918 said:
PS3 doubling 360
PS4 almost tripling X1
PS4 significantly ahead in NA
Now imagine if PS4 gets a Fall $100 price cut...(even $50 would be big)

Yet you neglect to mention that they're thrashing Nintendo even more...but whatever.

Intrinsic said:

Yup I agree. The WiiU wasn't trying to compete with the 7th gen systems. But considering its specs it made it impossible to comoee with the 8th gen systems. Nintendo's horse in the 8th gen race was technically a 7th gen console. 

But yh, if Nintendo is smart, they should make a new console for 2016 that is at least more powerful than the PS4. But not only do I not think they can do that but I also feel it would do more damage to their brand than riding this gen out and that they also wont get third party support. cause then they will be making a proper 8th gen console to compete with consoles that would already have a 50M+ lead on them. Not a single third party dev will give them a second look. 

Oh gosh, a new system in 2016 sounds like a mistake to be honest, its at least a year too early.

Problem with the WIi U is that Ninetendo weren't trying to compete with anyone. For whatever reason they thought they could replicated the Wii, a system which had no competition because it had a truly unique selling point and low entry price, meaning even if you had  360/PS3 you would still strongly consider getting a Wii, whereas PS3 and 360 were competing for the same audience and instead of one dominating like the PS2, the market was split 50/50. Unfortunately for Nintendo they didn't win their casual market with the gamepad, the Wii U isn't actually that cheap to be a throw away purchase and its not even an option for primary console amongst core gamers. I mean did anyone expect that the average 360/PS3 owner would commit the next 5 years of gaming to a system pretty much equal with what they've had at home for the prior 5 years? I don't think Nintendo could be so daft so we have to assume that Nintendo were trying to carve out their own niche, existing alongside PS4/X1 as opposed to competeing with them and stealing their audience.

Now Nintendo shouldn't launch in 2016 because they would be setting themselves up to compete directly with PS4/X1 which is crazy. You don't attack a competitor just as they're about to become their most powerfull; just as their price is about to hit that mass market adoption point, just as their software line up becomes its most compelling and amazing yet or just as their sales reach are about to reach their highest peak.

They need to position themselves as a successor to the PS4 not its competitor, the same way the 360 was a successor to the PS2. Let PS4 have its peak and be on the decline. Let its hardware truly show its age, let developers moan about how weak its hardware is and yearn for better hardware, let the core audience to fatigue and wane. The best predicament would be that multiplat comparison videos look night and day between the PS4 and Next Nintendo. To me that means fall 2017 launch at the earliest, because not only does the PS4 need to be on the decline but technology has to have moved on far enough for Ninetendo to offer a generational leap leap at $399.

The generational leap is where the Wii U failed in stealing of the PS4/X1 marketshare (outside of marketing and weak 1st party line up), Nintendo don't need to be as powerful as the PS5 or X2... PS2 was weaker then the Xbox/gamecube, the PS1 was weaker then the N64, everyone was sure the 360 was going to be a lot weaker then the PS3 the way sony were hyping the cell but that didn't stop 360 from gaining huge momentum in 2005/6. Nintendo simply need to be next gen in comparison to the generation before, just as PS1 was to the snes and PS2 to the PS1. Now if they manage that whilst also being early enough to have a year or 2 without any new competition they will do miles and could even become market leader in 9th gen. My doubts are that Nintendo won't know how to market in a way that appeals to a more core market, that they'll be afraid to sell a system for more the $299 and above that afraid to make a temporary loss on hardware.