By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band 4 not coming to Wii U because "the audience is not there"

Cloudman said:
Platina said:

This is sort of a different scenario... PS vita in Japan is doing relatively well, and the devs are targeting that audience specifically

Rock Band can choose to port to a wide variety of consoles and chooses to skip out the the weakest one with the lowest sales, and that is the Wii U

I don`t mean just Rock Band, but games ingeneral. I don`t see why Wii U had to miss out on all the games just because it`s not selling as strongly as its compeititors.

You aren't wrong there. Most normal games would probably be profitable, if not necessarily very profitable by adding the Wii U to their multiplatform list (saving costs of most assets like audio, video, etc, just scaled differently). Rockband unfortunately is much more front loaded cost wise than typical games, requiring more licensing fees and specialized hardware which must meet demand by a close margin otherwise huge losses can occur.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
PxlStorm said:
Who cares...? There's no reason to be sad about this loss.

Every little helps as they say. This title has a potential market on the Wii U too so it's a little surprising.  However id be more surprised if they're skipping the Wii.  

Cloudman said:
Platina said:

This is sort of a different scenario... PS vita in Japan is doing relatively well, and the devs are targeting that audience specifically

Rock Band can choose to port to a wide variety of consoles and chooses to skip out the the weakest one with the lowest sales, and that is the Wii U

I don`t mean just Rock Band, but games ingeneral. I don`t see why Wii U had to miss out on all the games just because it`s not selling as strongly as its compeititors.

I think that is due to Nintendo being different. It is basically a double edged sword; new features can be added but make it harder for 3rd party devs to make games.

With the gamepad, it makes games harder to port especially if the game will utilize it in some way other than just off screen play.

The Wii did fine and had 3rd party support but that was mainly due to a large install base. Bigger install base -> More 3rd party support -> More games  (repeat) . The Wii U, on the other hand, is not selling well so 3rd party devs don't see the need to invest to a small market..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Kerotan said:
PxlStorm said:
Who cares...? There's no reason to be sad about this loss.

Every little helps as they say. This title has a potential market on the Wii U too so it's a little surprising.  However id be more surprised if they're skipping the Wii.  

Yup, basically this. Even though I don't really care for this game, others may and could potentially boost Wii U sales since there are more games and diversity.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

dharh said:
Cloudman said:

You aren't wrong there. Most normal games would probably be profitable, if not necessarily very profitable by adding the Wii U to their multiplatform list (saving costs of most assets like audio, video, etc, just scaled differently). Rockband unfortunately is much more front loaded cost wise than typical games, requiring more licensing fees and specialized hardware which must meet demand by a close margin otherwise huge losses can occur.

I can understand that with Rock Band, but the audience not being there sounds kind of hard to buy. A lot of people called it that back then, and it does seem more a casual market compared to its other competitors.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
dharh said:
Cloudman said:

I can understand that with Rock Band, but the audience not being there sounds kind of hard to buy. A lot of people called it that back then, and it does seem more a casual market compared to its other competitors.

I don't know why they call it casual. Sure it can be casual in the sense that it's a party game and you would find it at bars to play back in the past. But up front costs to buy the game w/ instruments with your group of friends? Those are not casual prices. If you want to go above and beyond, the pro drum kit cost me $250 on sale.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Platina said:
Cloudman said:
Platina said:

I think that is due to Nintendo being different. It is basically a double edged sword; new features can be added but make it harder for 3rd party devs to make games.

With the gamepad, it makes games harder to port especially if the game will utilize it in some way other than just off screen play.

The Wii did fine and had 3rd party support but that was mainly due to a large install base. Bigger install base -> More 3rd party support -> More games  (repeat) . The Wii U, on the other hand, is not selling well so 3rd party devs don't see the need to invest to a small market..

True, with the gamepad there it makes it more difficult to port a game and make use of it, but Retro showed that not only do you not have to use it, but you can turn it off. So I think that removes that as a reason to not port it. As for the 2nd reason, that`s likely why they won`t support it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think they made the right call. It's a shame really that it's come to this, but Wii U is a failed piece of HW and Nintendo gamers aren't really all that interested of this kind of game...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Cloudman said:
vivster said:
Why release any game to a low install platform?

Despite its low sales, the Vita is getting some good support, at least in Japan.

I thought we already established that Japanese people are crazy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

dharh said:
Cloudman said:

I don't know why they call it casual. Sure it can be casual in the sense that it's a party game and you would find it at bars to play back in the past. But up front costs to buy the game w/ instruments with your group of friends? Those are not casual prices. If you want to go above and beyond, the pro drum kit cost me $250 on sale.

I`m guessing people call it casual for Ninten`s overall kiddie image they have with their family friendly IPs and lack of mature title games. Though buying the set to play the game can be said for any console. The game itself isn`t very casual price wise.

Dance my pretties!