By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Price not a factor in Project Morpheus development.

Normchacho said:
Zkuq said:
Normchacho said:
Zkuq said:
I'll be laughing so hard if VR fails after all this hype. Not talking about Sony specifically, but about everyone instead. Everyone seems to be making VR glasses these days, but I'm still not sure where they're going to find the market for such expensive equipment. It's possible the market will be there, but right now I'd bet it won't be there for glasses costing more than $100.

$100? Active 3d glasses are barely cheaper than that...That is an unreasonably low number.

And look at how 'popular' 3D glasses are. I know it's an unreasonably low number but people don't have a strong tendency to pay much for accessories. It could always change but I'm not too optimistic about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4#

Gamers will pay silly amounts of money on an accessory if they think it's worth while. I personally have more than $400 in accessories just for Gran Turismo...racing game fans alone could make VR a success.

OK, I should've mentioned I was talking about large-scale success - something anyone is willing to pay $2 billion or a comparable amount for. At best, VR will be viable at these prices, but it won't be a huge success. And it has the high development costs many other accessories don't have (like the racing wheel you linked). It will be a niche unless the prices come down.

Around the Network

I think the price will be something between 200-300$

binary solo said:
Normchacho said:

He also pointed out that, just like the PlayStation 4, price will fall with time. Yoshida was unwilling to hint at a price point, but a focus on the quality of the experience before thinking about cost may lead to a better headset that's more comfortable for players.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/5/8157541/project-morpheus-price

Personally, I think that's a weird thing for him to say. I also don't think it bodes well for the price of the headset.

Well up until this time PS4 hasn't dropped in price. So...

it has certainly dropped in price per unit for Sony

Lafiel said:
binary solo said:
Normchacho said:

He also pointed out that, just like the PlayStation 4, price will fall with time. Yoshida was unwilling to hint at a price point, but a focus on the quality of the experience before thinking about cost may lead to a better headset that's more comfortable for players.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/5/8157541/project-morpheus-price

Personally, I think that's a weird thing for him to say. I also don't think it bodes well for the price of the headset.

Well up until this time PS4 hasn't dropped in price. So...

it has certainly dropped in price per unit for Sony

I think Sony is in a position to drop the price by $50 right now if they wanted to or as much as $100 if they waited till August/September. The only reason they haven't is timing and that of course they are still selling so well at $399. 

I really believe that by the time Morpheus is released the PS4 will cost $299, so the standalone Morpheus kit (headset, camera and one/two move controllers) will probably cost $250 and there will be a PS4+Morpheus bundle for $499. 

The Morpheus headset will probably cost Sony around $130-$150 to make, camera around $30, move around $25 and the Morpheus external box around $30. 

The only consideration is quality in terms of how the device functions and quality in terms the content it launches with and receives in the proceeding year. As long as it isn't $300+ for the headset and necessary ad-ons, it will sell fine. I don't see any other VR as much competition, consoles will always be a superior trojan horse to PCs when it comes to home entertainment.

Around the Network

I will be surprised if it starts at anything less than $400. It will be sold as a premium product at first. You don't start at the bottom with new technology.
When Kinect was coming people expected $60, $75, $80 tops for the camera. It sold tons at $150. If it works as advertised Morpheus will sell at $400.

Zkuq said:
Normchacho said:
Zkuq said:

And look at how 'popular' 3D glasses are. I know it's an unreasonably low number but people don't have a strong tendency to pay much for accessories. It could always change but I'm not too optimistic about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4#

Gamers will pay silly amounts of money on an accessory if they think it's worth while. I personally have more than $400 in accessories just for Gran Turismo...racing game fans alone could make VR a success.

OK, I should've mentioned I was talking about large-scale success - something anyone is willing to pay $2 billion or a comparable amount for. At best, VR will be viable at these prices, but it won't be a huge success. And it has the high development costs many other accessories don't have (like the racing wheel you linked). It will be a niche unless the prices come down.

I think that if it's less than $300 for the headset and camera they'll be fine. Especially if the headset can be used for things like movies as well. The market for a VR headset should be a good bit bigger than the market for racing wheels.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

my price prediction will be around 300-350 USD for NA with P.Morpheus and PlayStation Eye include it. less then that it will be to difficult to coup with the development cost and more then that it will difficult to gain market share.

I think it's the right decision. VR is here to stay it wont go away anymore the experience is so good that even when the novelty wears of traditional gaming won't be an alternative anymore for alot of people like me.

Vr has to be done right to leave a positive impression this time

Normchacho said:
Zkuq said:

I think that if it's less than $300 for the headset and camera they'll be fine. Especially if the headset can be used for things like movies as well. The market for a VR headset should be a good bit bigger than the market for racing wheels.

I disagree, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.