By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

shio said:
flagship said:
Because just like golf it's extremely boring to watch. Americans like watching games with fast paced action like football and basketball.

joke post?

In my opinion, americans enjoy sissy sports that are afraid of contact:

Basketball - I liked playing basket at physical education back in highschool, but it's a bit boring to watch. It's not a very dynamic sport, it's tactically limited and not very fast with serious symptoms of stopclock-o-litis. No contact whatsoever.

American football - The players are afraid of getting sued so they wear big equipment that will save their pocket money, and are so out-of-shape that need to stop the clock everytime something happens(joke). Serious now, Rugby is simply faster and has alot of real contact, how can american football beat that?

Baseball - No contact whatsoever and definitely slow paced. But to be honest it's the main american sport that I respect the most.

Ice Hockey - I like this one, but it's not as fast as rink hockey and there's no real contact.

lol. you are so right.

baseball is 20 minutes of action packed into 5 hours of play.

basketball is a good sport but when a player gets touched on his wrist they stop the game for 2 minutes to shoot free throws.

football is very boaring. 20 seconds of play then a 40 second break. and during the 20 seconds of play they barley move up field.

hockey. i hate hockey. (pretty weird for a canadian) but hockey is really a sissy sport cuz they wear mad padding and theres so many players on a small rink which makes it very hard to score.

soccer- soccer for me is amazing to watch. sometimes it gets boaring if your watching to shit teams i.e sheffield united and QPR, but the atmosphere of the crowd the close calls,the amazing saves, and the penalty shootouts make the game great. also when a player scores, its a big relief. wish i could go see a man utd game.

cricket is just an amazing game. i really dont know what to say about this game but its good speically watching it. 

Around the Network
shio said:
flagship said:
Because just like golf it's extremely boring to watch. Americans like watching games with fast paced action like football and basketball.

j

Basketball - I liked playing basket at physical education back in highschool, but it's a bit boring to watch. It's not a very dynamic sport, it's tactically limited and not very fast with serious symptoms of stopclock-o-litis. No contact whatsoever.

No contact, you must be watching and playing a different game then what i have seen and played.  Just wait until you get some guy going to the hole or trying to move up on the basket, watch as you get an elbow in the face and a knee in the gut.  

Its like the same people who say soccer is not a contact sport, people are smashing into each other all the time and kicking the legs out from under each other.

It's a great sport, just show the americans a match with the mighty Aston Villa and they will be turned.
Is it just me or do america have an abundance of good goalkeepers?

^ yes america does have some pretty good keepers

hanneman, friedel, keller, howard, and guznan.

to bad for villa drawing with arsenal. i really wanted villa to win then man u wouldve taken first place.

beckham was used to try to hype up soccer in the U.S.
but i havnt been tracking his team anymore.
i guess you could say it kind of worked considering some people had never even seen a soccer game.

Around the Network

When it comes to international soccer, there is national pride involved when 2 countries play each other. I don't think America understands that. Why would they cheer for a soccer team to beat another country when they can just invade that country instead? :) j/k

Griffin said:
shio said:
flagship said:

j

No contact, you must be watching and playing a different game then what i have seen and played. Just wait until you get some guy going to the hole or trying to move up on the basket, watch as you get an elbow in the face and a knee in the gut.

Its like the same people who say soccer is not a contact sport, people are smashing into each other all the time and kicking the legs out from under each other

Difference:

Basketball - Almost every single contact is a foul.

Football (soccer) - Most of the contact made does not result in foul.

DogWeed said:
beckham was used to try to hype up soccer in the U.S.
but i havnt been tracking his team anymore.
i guess you could say it kind of worked considering some people had never even seen a soccer game.

yes i know. some people in toronto bought tickets just to see beckham play but then he ended up getting injured.you know what the ticket holders demeanded?

yep. refunds. just cuz becks isnt playing. becks is an amazing player but its just dumb that you need a refuund just cuz heisnt playing. fucking ridiculous. 

rocketpig said:
A few reasons:

- Not enough scoring. Look at hockey. The NHL almost completely tanked because defense had taken such a priority that 90% of the game was happening between the lines. They're changing the rules now and the sport is slowly building more momentum after a high in the 80s. Soccer is slower, less physical, and has less scoring than hockey did even in its darkest days. Not surprsingly, Americans just don't care about it.

- Too many sports. Americans have a plethora of popular sports to choose from. Basketball, hockey, NASCAR, football, baseball, etc. Soccer would have to bump one of those sports out of the way to gain even a little acceptance and that's not going to happen without major rule changes.

- It's boring. Seriously. It is. I'm a big sports guy and have tried to watch soccer more times than I can count. I can barely make it through a World Cup match without wanting to scream. Any sport that calls so many chickenshit fouls is not going to go over well with Americans. Basketball tests my patience and soccer is ten times worse.

- The best American athletes don't play the sport and consequently, America doesn't do well internationally. The sport might catch a bit of interest if an amazing American athlete emerged in the sport.

Soccer IS popular in the usa. I'm American and I LOVE it. What's not popular are the TV ratings and the American soccer league(MLS) which is slowly changing.  There are a lot of people who like soccer in the U.S. they are just not as fanatical as other countries so many don't notice it.  I live in Jersey and I can go to the park anytime it is warm and people will be playing. 

And rocketpig, it is NOT boring.  I want to scream at you for saying that because I'm a fanatic of the sport.  The 2006 WC did have a lot of chickenshit fouls because of crappy new strict rules set for the referees and it had to be one of the worst world cups I can remember(I mean seriously Italy should not have won).  The referees were calling everything so players took advantage and started diving.  That's not to say there weren't any good games because there were, it was just getting past all the bad ones to see the good ones.

Also, the sport is a lot more physical than most people realize.  You don't know unless you start playing competitively.  Some great players don't go pro because they realize they may not be able to walk after their career.

I'll say this though, it is much funner to play than watch.  To watch you really have to have the right playing styles and some good fans.

game is too slow. americans like intensity. fifa needs to make the game more offensive. its a great game, but some professional games are so boring.

personally, the first thing they need to change is the sub rule. high school games are faster because players can run their hearts out and then take a break, but in professional they have to stay in the whole game. there might be quicker bursts in prof, but the overall pace is way too slow.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.