By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

Yeah, unlike soccer, golf is fun to watch even once and a while.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Dogs Rule said:
twesterm said:
Hockey is pretty popular in the US, or at least it is in Texas of all places.
Ok, but hockey is not in your blood or in your culture like it is for Canadians. From what I hear, attendance in the Southern states is no where near as loyal when the team is loosing. Of course when you have teams in the playoffs it gets popular, but regular season, I'm pretty sure you can get tickets. On topic: Football (soccer) is not in North America's blood and culture.
In Texas at least it has always been pretty popular, even when the Stars are losing. You can pretty much always get tickets but that's true for most sports save for the big games.
They imported hockey enthusiasm from Minnesota along with the hockey team itself.  It was a package deal.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

A few reasons:

- Not enough scoring. Look at hockey. The NHL almost completely tanked because defense had taken such a priority that 90% of the game was happening between the lines. They're changing the rules now and the sport is slowly building more momentum after a high in the 80s. Soccer is slower, less physical, and has less scoring than hockey did even in its darkest days. Not surprsingly, Americans just don't care about it.

- Too many sports. Americans have a plethora of popular sports to choose from. Basketball, hockey, NASCAR, football, baseball, etc. Soccer would have to bump one of those sports out of the way to gain even a little acceptance and that's not going to happen without major rule changes.

- It's boring. Seriously. It is. I'm a big sports guy and have tried to watch soccer more times than I can count. I can barely make it through a World Cup match without wanting to scream. Any sport that calls so many chickenshit fouls is not going to go over well with Americans. Basketball tests my patience and soccer is ten times worse.

- The best American athletes don't play the sport and consequently, America doesn't do well internationally. The sport might catch a bit of interest if an amazing American athlete emerged in the sport.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Dogs Rule said:
@Twestern Alright. Texas might be the exeption to the rule. Perhaps it is even the exeption that prompted the NHL to try a southern expansion project. Last I heard Phoenix was a pretty tough sell. A desert should not have a team. @Cheetos: I agree about the national team. If they had a shot at the World cup, then the sport would take off. To get that shot, the team would have to be massively funded and supported. I don't know who would make that investment, it wouldn't be the government that's for sure.

the us always gets to the world cup for some reason. maybe its becuase they face shit teams from concacaf in qualifying.

anyways as i can remember usa has been in the 2006 2002 98 94 90 world cups, and they did beat england 1-0 in 1950. 

Hockey and golf both have big followings but I would say (as a total guess from someone pretty ignorant of the popularity of sports) that soccer is comparable in popularity to both. But (American) football, baseball, and basketball are way more popular.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Hockey and golf both have big followings but I would say (as a total guess from someone pretty ignorant of the popularity of sports) that soccer is comparable in popularity to both. But (American) football, baseball, and basketball are way more popular.

Both golf and hockey are considerably more popular sports than soccer in the US.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Final-Fan said:
Both golf and hockey are considerably more popular sports than soccer in the US.
I believe you because as I said I am not a big sports follower, but evidence plz?

Well its 5th in popularity, that's not to bad.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

flagship said:
Because just like golf it's extremely boring to watch. Americans like watching games with fast paced action like football and basketball.

joke post?

In my opinion, americans enjoy sissy sports that are afraid of contact:

Basketball - I liked playing basket at physical education back in highschool, but it's a bit boring to watch. It's not a very dynamic sport, it's tactically limited and not very fast with serious symptoms of stopclock-o-litis. No contact whatsoever.

American football -  The players are afraid of getting sued so they wear big equipment that will save their pocket money, and are so out-of-shape that need to stop the clock everytime something happens(joke). Serious now, Rugby is simply faster and has alot of real contact, how can american football beat that?

Baseball - No contact whatsoever and definitely slow paced. But to be honest it's the main american sport that I respect the most.

Ice Hockey - I like this one, but it's not as fast as rink hockey and there's no real contact.

mmmh... some people here seem to say

football = USA
soccer = Europe

but the truth is more like

football = USA
soccer = Europe, Africa, Asia, South and Central America, Antartic (yup)

Actually, I this was not an american website, I would not even use the word "soccer" as everywhere else in the world we call it "football" and we call your football "american football" (you follow ?)

Beside that, I think the arguments of low score and difficulty to put commercials are quite good. The cultural difference too : I think american people usually don't like it when they are not the ones who spread their own culture around the world so they don't easily accept what's coming from other countries (metric system, movies, food and, here we come, soccer)