By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the PS5 be the next Wii?

PS5 + Morpheus:

Casual audience comes back to consoles 22 23.40%

Core audience gets a novel experience 21 22.34%

It becomes the next Gamep... 14 14.89%

It becomes the next Kinnect - dying fast 20 21.28%

Its existance on PS4 scre... 17 18.09%

Total:94

I hope not. It'd mean weak console compared with the next Xbox because the price tag has to factor in the cost of a Morpheus set. Next xbox is definitely gonna be a beast, MS has learned their lesson this gen.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
JustBeingReal said:
bunchanumbers said:
JustBeingReal said:
bunchanumbers said:
No. Nothing will be like the Wii. It was a cultural phenomenon. There are already too many other companies making VR headsets. The only one that was really out with motion controls when it launched was Wii. Plus they had the games for it at launch.

I think psNow will be PS5 in the future. Easy access and Sony finally gets full control of all aspects of the system, because its streaming.

A platform going completely streaming based is reliant on the internet being 100% reliable, but that's never going to happen until each household has a system that can't malfunction.

There will always be physical hardware, that handles the local processing of games. No doubt the cloud will be a feature of 9th gen and consoles that come out beyond that, but it will never take over while the internet lacks reliability. There's also the matter of costs, if people aren't willing to pay for a regular subscription model, on top of PS Plus or XBL then there's very little reason to go all out on the streaming side of the platform.

Going for the full streaming based model is pointless when developers can already make huge worlds on the current generation of consoles and PC. We have games like No Man's Sky and WiLD coming out this year, one offers an environment the size of Europe, the other procedurally generates an ever expanding galaxy worth of planets to explore, the next generation of consoles will be able to take that even further, hell this generation will as well, because over time developers will optimize their code on current systems to get more out of them, the same things will happen next gen, basically pushing games several orders of maginitude further than what we have this generation.

Cloud based consoles would also have issues of latency for the user, so any kind of seamless experience won't compete with what will be possible on local hardware.

But there is a big reason for Sony going streaming on PS5. Developers, publishers, and Sony will have full control of the games. There will be no second hand sales and everything will be profit for publishers. I'm thinking that the pure profit margins and low cost of 'hardware' will be the reason why Sony will do this. Their hardware will be a access box that costs less than a Vita TV and will feature easy access features like being able to play on mobile, tablets, and smart TVs. There will be too many convenience features to pass up for most consumers.

Will there be less sales from developing countries and countries with poor internet? Probably. But I think that it will be worth it in the end because they will have tons of people who will be interested in it.

It's anti-consumer, everyone's seen the backlash Microsoft got for trying to force 24 hour connections and anti-used games on customers, it's illogical to think that Sony would build their next platform around that, especially when the hardware available will be plenty capable of producing a huge upgrade from what we have today, cloud focused systems aren't needed, they're a crutch, better to have it as a feature for use in titles like MMOs or for dedicated servers, not be all your platform is about.

Publishers have the option this generation to use DRM, but they know customers won't go for it, they'd rather get people to buy their games than limit them with DRM control.

People will never go for being tied into a subscription based system like they have on their mobiles phone contracts or their Sky TV plans, they want to buy their console day one and then buy the games they want, maybe pay £40/$50 a year for PS+ that gives them access to a load of games and ability to play online in retail games, paying more than that isn't something they want, I know this because it's all people said when the rumors of a potential similar thing could have happened this generation.

Physical hardware is going to happen again, because it's always worked, people don't want to not be able to access their games when their internet goes down, everyone, in every country, even those with the best internet infrastructures in the world has instances of internet connections not working in their homes, if your system is built relying on that, you lose access to all of your games when you internet stops working, it's ridiculous to build your console around that kind of a limitation, especially when these Vita TV style boxes will still need to have a processor, RAM and everything you'd build into a console anyway.

Latency is another factor, it would be present in all games, because it's a law of physics that broadband cannot overcome and you want to have that in all games? LOL no my friend, we'll have generations more of physical consoles, you buy throughout each generation, maybe digital games will become gradually more popular, but still there will be a copy of the game on your hard drive, you'll play that on your console, just like this generation and the last before it.

MS is working on prediction technology that is supposed to reduce latency to almost zero. When this happens I wouldn't be surprised if they trot out their Rio service. Sony would be wise to copy this technology from MS.

As for not being able to access internet, if your home internet goes down, you will be just as easily be able to pull out your phone or tablet and keep gaming as though you were never disconnected. There will be tons of ways to keep playing without missing a beat. You'll be able to play your full console games on your way to work, at work, on your way home from work, and at home. It will be too convenient to pass up for most consumers.

As for the physical media always being around and the like, even that is going away. People don't care as much for collecting DVDs or Blurays when they can just as easily fire up Netflix and stream all their shows and not feel like they were ripped off at all. Same thing applies here. Hundreds of games at your disposal and it only costs you a monthly fee? And you can take your games everywhere with you? It will happen. I'm predicting next gen. Some are predicting the generation after, but its going to happen. I hate to say it but you should brace yourself for it.

I'm well aware of Deloreon, that's what it's called and it's essentially a predictive text style, guessing algorythm for a player's actions, it doesn't reduce latency, it attempts to guess your actions, based on past choices you've made, as with predictive text it faulters very often and can never be perfect, because people are inherently unpredictable.

Nope, we're not talking about phones here, we're talking about the platform, this is about gaming on one device, you bought into PS5, you're a kid you don't have anything other than the PS5 your parents bought you, your internet goes down, you don't have access to your games and thus you're annoyed and hating the company for making the choice to design their system around an inherently unreliable design.

Keeping a physical device, that provides for your processing needs just makes sense, the future is going to be about having more options, it always has been, to limit someone to not being able to play their games when the internet goes down is just plain stupid.

As for the last point, it's just plain wrong, just like the whole point I made about going only streaming based, removing physical media, removes a large portion of the market's ability to collect physical discs, collectable boxsets, collectable editions of their media.

Regardless of what you and others may think people do care as much about collecting discs, I'm one of them and I know loads of people that still care. Sales of such things are still high.

Brace yourself for options, there will always be a market for physical media, it's been that way ever since vinyl discs were 1st released, as with the limitations of the internet, people like having that reliable disc, ownership of the content and not being able to access your content because your internet is down is just plain wrong.

Imagine you've bought into this network based future, you turn on your phone, you can't get a signal because the network is down and your internet at home isn't working (which happens), that means you have access to none of the content, it may not happen very often, but any time that happens, you're basically paying for nothing and you decided you wanted that stupid future.

Sony knows this, which is exactly why their next console and the one after that, the one after that and so on will have a physical processor and everything else needed to host your game locally and as long as physical media on a disc continues to sell they'll continue to keep selling theirs and external publisher's games on them, because it's about catering to the market, giving options, not limiting your customers.

JustBeingReal said:
bunchanumbers said:

MS is working on prediction technology that is supposed to reduce latency to almost zero. When this happens I wouldn't be surprised if they trot out their Rio service. Sony would be wise to copy this technology from MS.

As for not being able to access internet, if your home internet goes down, you will be just as easily be able to pull out your phone or tablet and keep gaming as though you were never disconnected. There will be tons of ways to keep playing without missing a beat. You'll be able to play your full console games on your way to work, at work, on your way home from work, and at home. It will be too convenient to pass up for most consumers.

As for the physical media always being around and the like, even that is going away. People don't care as much for collecting DVDs or Blurays when they can just as easily fire up Netflix and stream all their shows and not feel like they were ripped off at all. Same thing applies here. Hundreds of games at your disposal and it only costs you a monthly fee? And you can take your games everywhere with you? It will happen. I'm predicting next gen. Some are predicting the generation after, but its going to happen. I hate to say it but you should brace yourself for it.

I'm well aware of Deloreon, that's what it's called and it's essentially a predictive text style, guessing algorythm for a player's actions, it doesn't reduce latency, it attempts to guess your actions, based on past choices you've made, as with predictive text it faulters very often and can never be perfect, because people are inherently unpredictable.

Nope, we're not talking about phones here, we're talking about the platform, this is about gaming on one device, you bought into PS5, you're a kid you don't have anything other than the PS5 your parents bought you, your internet goes down, you don't have access to your games and thus you're annoyed and hating the company for making the choice to design their system around an inherently unreliable design.

Keeping a physical device, that provides for your processing needs just makes sense, the future is going to be about having more options, it always has been, to limit someone to not being able to play their games when the internet goes down is just plain stupid.

As for the last point, it's just plain wrong, just like the whole point I made about going only streaming based, removing physical media, removes a large portion of the market's ability to collect physical discs, collectable boxsets, collectable editions of their media.

Regardless of what you and others may think people do care as much about collecting discs, I'm one of them and I know loads of people that still care. Sales of such things are still high.

Brace yourself for options, there will always be a market for physical media, it's been that way ever since vinyl discs were 1st released, as with the limitations of the internet, people like having that reliable disc, ownership of the content and not being able to access your content because your internet is down is just plain wrong.

Imagine you've bought into this network based future, you turn on your phone, you can't get a signal because the network is down and your internet at home isn't working (which happens), that means you have access to none of the content, it may not happen very often, but any time that happens, you're basically paying for nothing and you decided you wanted that stupid future.

Sony knows this, which is exactly why their next console and the one after that, the one after that and so on will have a physical processor and everything else needed to host your game locally and as long as physical media on a disc continues to sell they'll continue to keep selling theirs and external publisher's games on them, because it's about catering to the market, giving options, not limiting your customers.

More than likely, that won't happen. A physical console option might just be the PS4 as the last physical console they make. Sony doesn't want to waste billions on more hardware that will be obsolete within a year. All that money is wasted. As a digital console, they won't be held back by hardware limitations anymore. We won't have to worry about fps and resolution being limited by hardware anymore. It will be the games the developers want to make without trying to cram it into a obsolete box. Developers, Publishers, and Sony wants this.

Its going to happen sooner or later, so you might as well as accept it. Attachment to physical media is less of an issue every day. MS messed up in that they released a physical console. If they didn't and launched Rio from the start it would probably be a different story. They also wouldn't have less power than the PS4.

bunchanumbers said:
JustBeingReal said:

More than likely, that won't happen. A physical console option might just be the PS4 as the last physical console they make. Sony doesn't want to waste billions on more hardware that will be obsolete within a year. All that money is wasted. As a digital console, they won't be held back by hardware limitations anymore. We won't have to worry about fps and resolution being limited by hardware anymore. It will be the games the developers want to make without trying to cram it into a obsolete box. Developers, Publishers, and Sony wants this.

Its going to happen sooner or later, so you might as well as accept it. Attachment to physical media is less of an issue every day. MS messed up in that they released a physical console. If they didn't and launched Rio from the start it would probably be a different story. They also wouldn't have less power than the PS4.

Actually more than likely it will, because there's no precedent for anything else, there's no example of a cloud based system being used for everything in a games console and as I keep saying there's just too many issues with going all out cloud based, the internet and much bigger investment up front being required than in physical local hardware.

Being obsolete is relative, Sony aren't competing with PC, they're competing with other consoles, which doesn't require endless upgrading your physical hardware, rather just optimization of your API and development tools to get the most out of your hardware, brute forcing it, with every increasing processing and RAM upgrades has never been the way it's done, it just becomes more an more costly over time, as your servers needs upgrading, maintenance and increasing the size and volume of your server farms to provide for users needs.

FYI most gamers, that aren't the kind that frequent forums like this don't care about resolution and frame rate, they actually care more about where their friends play and what games they want to play, hence why the PS4 has sold like it has.

You've ignored the very nature of the cloud processing actually still requiring cost of a subscription based fee for each user to play on this system, they buy a console, they know they have the system and that's that, they pay for this server access, the fee can be increased whenever the platform holder wants, because they control the hardware, people won't go for it!

It will only happen if customers let it, if it's not providing the same seamless experience as they've been used to every generation before and providing a step up in that area (which can't happen with a cloud based service, because of the inherent limitations of the tech), then it won't happen.

What you're forgetting here is that Gaikai and On Live have had a presence in the PC space for years, but it's never taken over, it has it's users, but not all PC gaming is done on it, in fact only a fraction of overall PC users even bother with it, this is the exact thing you're suggesting will take over consoles. Best case scenario PS Now has it's presence in Playstation's ecosystem, MMOs get additional features using the cloud, but the physical hardware is an integral part of the console experience.

Any cloud presence will take more than a single generation for people to put their faith in it, most likely it's just going to be PS Now, used for PS3 game hosting throughout this generation, with some little additions to some games for PS Plus users. Taking over everything to do with rendering all of every single game isn't happening, especially considering a large number of users still don't even use the internet.

JustBeingReal said:
bunchanumbers said:

Actually more than likely it will, because there's no precedent for anything else, there's no example of a cloud based system being used for everything in a games console and as I keep saying there's just too many issues with going all out cloud based, the internet and much bigger investment up front being required than in physical local hardware.

Being obsolete is relative, Sony aren't competing with PC, they're competing with other consoles, which doesn't require endless upgrading your physical hardware, rather just optimization of your API and development tools to get the most out of your hardware, brute forcing it, with every increasing processing and RAM upgrades has never been the way it's done, it just becomes more an more costly over time, as your servers needs upgrading, maintenance and increasing the size and volume of your server farms to provide for users needs.

FYI most gamers, that aren't the kind that frequent forums like this don't care about resolution and frame rate, they actually care more about where their friends play and what games they want to play, hence why the PS4 has sold like it has.

You've ignored the very nature of the cloud processing actually still requiring cost of a subscription based fee for each user to play on this system, they buy a console, they know they have the system and that's that, they pay for this server access, the fee can be increased whenever the platform holder wants, because they control the hardware, people won't go for it!

It will only happen if customers let it, if it's not providing the same seamless experience as they've been used to every generation before and providing a step up in that area (which can't happen with a cloud based service, because of the inherent limitations of the tech), then it won't happen.

What you're forgetting here is that Gaikai and On Live have had a presence in the PC space for years, but it's never taken over, it has it's users, but not all PC gaming is done on it, in fact only a fraction of overall PC users even bother with it, this is the exact thing you're suggesting will take over consoles. Best case scenario PS Now has it's presence in Playstation's ecosystem, MMOs get additional features using the cloud, but the physical hardware is an integral part of the console experience.

Any cloud presence will take more than a single generation for people to put their faith in it, most likely it's just going to be PS Now, used for PS3 game hosting throughout this generation, with some little additions to some games for PS Plus users. Taking over everything to do with rendering all of every single game isn't happening, especially considering a large number of users still don't even use the internet.

PSNow is the beginning, its laying the foundation. 10 years from now will be a different story, especially if Net Neutrality laws stay and things like Google Fiber push into the market. 

Really there's no reason only PS3 games can be on PSNow, PS4 games could be on there just as easily too. The fact is the tech does work more or less. 

And I'm pretty sure most gamers connect to the internet, hell even Nintendo says that the majority of their game systems are online. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JustBeingReal said:

PSNow is the beginning, its laying the foundation. 10 years from now will be a different story, especially if Net Neutrality laws stay and things like Google Fiber push into the market. 

Really there's no reason only PS3 games can be on PSNow, PS4 games could be on there just as easily too. The fact is the tech does work more or less. 

And I'm pretty sure most gamers connect to the internet, hell even Nintendo says that the majority of their game systems are online. 

This. ^ Not only that Sony executives themselves are debating whether or not PS5 will be a cloud based console. Its already happening no matter how any of us rage against it. This is the future and Sony isn't competing against the other consoles. They're competing against every other form of entertainment. Its why they are pusing their digital marketplace so much. Their video and music services, their own TV streaming network and PlayStation will all be a part of their planned digital empire. The writing is on the wall and has been for a while.

Soundwave said:
JustBeingReal said:

I'm not saying the cloud won't be a part of things to come, of course it is, I've never argued against that, what I'm arguing against is the cloud providing for all of PS5's or any near future consoles (say the next few generations after this one) processing needs.

I never said PS4 wouldn't be hosted in the future on say PS5's version of PS Now, but it's whether PS5 games will all be hosted on a PS Now like service, with no physical Playstation 5 platform at all being offered for the console that I highly doubt and there's evidence that Sony would even contemplate going with an all out streaming based model for their next system after Playstation 4.

Just because most people connect to the internet, that doesn't mean they have sufficiently capable or stable enough broadband to sustain all of their gaming needs, especially when you consider just how much bandwidth even 80 Million users would require. Many people have caps they have to live within, if their cap runs out, then they can't game.

Of course costs of broadband will reduce over time, but there are still numerous issues that need to be addressed before a completely streaming based system would be a possibility, I've mentioned most of them here in this very thread and so far no argument or proof has been given to show how those issues can be dealt with in their entirety.

bunchanumbers said:
Soundwave said:

This. ^ Not only that Sony executives themselves are debating whether or not PS5 will be a cloud based console. Its already happening no matter how any of us rage against it. This is the future and Sony isn't competing against the other consoles. They're competing against every other form of entertainment. Its why they are pusing their digital marketplace so much. Their video and music services, their own TV streaming network and PlayStation will all be a part of their planned digital empire. The writing is on the wall and has been for a while.

None of that answers the issues I've raised here.

Consideration of some piece of tech doesn't mean that it's definitely going to be used. We've been told by Mark Cerny that Sony considered staying with the Cell Processor for PS4, only in a more advanced form, but when all the options to Sony and Playstation were evaluated going with X86 and an APU, with everything PS4 ended up having was the most logical choice to make.

It's not happening right now, because we still have physical hardware, PS Now is merely a complementary thing to the physical hardware, I'm not arguing against the remaining, I'm arguing against the notion that PS5 will only be a cloud based thing, it won't happen for the various reasons that I've repeated time and time again here and in various other threads in forums on the internet.

I've researched all of this very thoroughly, I understand the technologies involved very well and there's simply no evidence to suggest that a completely cloud based platform is a wise and solid enough system for a platform holder to stake their entire business on.

Having it as a complement opens up extra features, but for reliability's sake keeping the physical actually makes the whole thing way more stable, actually what would make even more sense is if you could add more than one local system to a local cloud based network, expanding the overall cloud footprint with more pieces of hardware, that isn't reduced so much if your internet goes down.

The writing is most definitely not on the wall for local, physical hardware, if anything the costs of production of it are going to get more competitive, it's reliability is orders of magnitude greater than relying on only the external network outside of your home.

Having cloud features existing doesn't prove the cloud is all we need, this either or mentality and rejection of what's worked for decades is a very bad way to think, because it's just accepting an unproven platform for how we'll game in part in the future as being all we need, with no proof that it can work 100% all of the time, it can't.

You mean will PS5 be a console that despite selling the most units will get the least support in its generation? Or will PS5 top sales charts and plummet dramatically after 5 years?