Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Line When It Comes To Game Addiction

Answer

I miss the old Nintentacl... 13 36.11%

The new Nintentacle is aw... 2 5.56%

Both new and old suck. 17 47.22%

Both new and old are awesome. 4 11.11%

Total:36
Paatar said:
Gaming is more of a hobby for me. I like it because it passes time and well, they're fun. Just like playing a game of cards. However, both are technically a "waste of time" by using your logic. Everything technically is (especially school subjects that you know you will never use in your intended career path) so saying gaming is a waste of time is a little too harsh. Yes, there are times where it is too far, but times where it isn't. If it interferes with work/personal life then there is too much. If it doesn't and you play them in a hobby type of way, then its fine. I know this because of my older sister who is a complete idiot and wasting her entire life. (She almost got her 2 year degree, dropped out of school one month before getting her degree, moved away and is now sitting at her computer 24/7 and making Youtube videos as a "job".

THAT is too far. However, playing on your free time is not. So, this subject varies.

what's up with the constant judgement in these threads. in the end people will do what they want in their lives, some will be happy some won't. it's not up to any of you posters to really decide or determine if someone else is completed in life by simply gaming. that's their business

the reality is that the majority of gamers, even extreme gamers, do have careers and family's (to some degree). they woud be on the street starving otherwise, or living with such limited means that they certainly couldn't continually purchase the electronics and games necessary to feed the habit

the average human probably watches something like 5+ hours of televsiion a day and you all have the audacity to pin point video gaming as some specficly terrible issue?

anything can be addicting. food, TV, drugs, sex- to pretend as if there is anything noteworthy or bad about video gaming specficially as a hobby is silly. if someone wants to play 10 hours of video games a day good for them. mind your business and stop assuming that others are failures simply because they do what they want a good portion of the time

I am just at a loss to the bizarre logic trains and judgement in these threads. a lot of posters I have noticed mention that they couldn't handle the hobby of gaming without getting overly addicted and it ruining their lives, but it's just naive and silly to assume the same will happen to others if they dare to play video games for more than 1 hour a day (or video game associated things, forums, videos, whatever).

it would be on par with me having a fast food addiction and suggesting that because I got extremely overweight (hypothetically) that no one else should dare eat fast food more than once a week. it's nice advice or whatever, but talking in black and white tones is just silly

Around the Network
PxlStorm said:
1 hour a week? That's nothing...

It's less than nothing, I spend more time on the toilet. One hour an hour is sometimes too little.

mountaindewslave said:
Paatar said:
Gaming is more of a hobby for me. I like it because it passes time and well, they're fun. Just like playing a game of cards. However, both are technically a "waste of time" by using your logic. Everything technically is (especially school subjects that you know you will never use in your intended career path) so saying gaming is a waste of time is a little too harsh. Yes, there are times where it is too far, but times where it isn't. If it interferes with work/personal life then there is too much. If it doesn't and you play them in a hobby type of way, then its fine. I know this because of my older sister who is a complete idiot and wasting her entire life. (She almost got her 2 year degree, dropped out of school one month before getting her degree, moved away and is now sitting at her computer 24/7 and making Youtube videos as a "job".

THAT is too far. However, playing on your free time is not. So, this subject varies.

what's up with the constant judgement in these threads. in the end people will do what they want in their lives, some will be happy some won't. it's not up to any of you posters to really decide or determine if someone else is completed in life by simply gaming. that's their business

the reality is that the majority of gamers, even extreme gamers, do have careers and family's (to some degree). they woud be on the street starving otherwise, or living with such limited means that they certainly couldn't continually purchase the electronics and games necessary to feed the habit

the average human probably watches something like 5+ hours of televsiion a day and you all have the audacity to pin point video gaming as some specficly terrible issue?

anything can be addicting. food, TV, drugs, sex- to pretend as if there is anything noteworthy or bad about video gaming specficially as a hobby is silly. if someone wants to play 10 hours of video games a day good for them. mind your business and stop assuming that others are failures simply because they do what they want a good portion of the time

I am just at a loss to the bizarre logic trains and judgement in these threads. a lot of posters I have noticed mention that they couldn't handle the hobby of gaming without getting overly addicted and it ruining their lives, but it's just naive and silly to assume the same will happen to others if they dare to play video games for more than 1 hour a day (or video game associated things, forums, videos, whatever).

it would be on par with me having a fast food addiction and suggesting that because I got extremely overweight (hypothetically) that no one else should dare eat fast food more than once a week. it's nice advice or whatever, but talking in black and white tones is just silly

There's a lot more to it than what I said.

She makes 14 bucks every two weeks. Yes, the big youtubers make their living off of being a youtuber (by making thousands a week). I know that. But that is when its okay. It would have been fine if my older sister realized she couldn't make a living off of it and kept it as a side hobby and got a job that payed ALOT more. But no she dropped out of school for this 28 a month "job" and is saying she can support herself even though she's living off of others.

I NEVER said people can't make a living off of it. If my sister had been making thousands of dollars a month, it would have been more understandable. But even then she should not have dropped out of school until she got her degree. (if she stayed one more month, she would have had it)

So next time try and think about the back story behind. Not just what is written on the internet. There is a lot more to it than you think. (Even now, I barely told you anything about it all so let us just leave it at that please)

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]