By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Batman Arkham Knight will be M rated

Batman: Arkham Knight Shows Bruce Wayne at His Darkest

Things are about to get rough.

Batman: Arkham Knight has earned an "M for Mature" rating from the ESRB. It's the first Rocksteady Batman game to do so.

We spoke with Sefton Hill, founder of Rocksteady and game director on Arkham Knight, about why the game earned the rating, what it means for people buying the game, and how, without one conversation, Arkham Knight might have been a different game altogether.

Rocksteady's first two Batman games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight, both earned "T for Teen" ratings. When Arkham Knight earned an M (suitable for players 17 and older), Hill said the team was surprised.

"From our point of view, we never wrote it or made it with a rating in mind. We never did that in the previous two games... We just felt that this is the story that we really wanted to tell. In terms of creating the story, with such strong characters, sometimes they lead you in interesting directions. They lead you because you know who they are and you build the world around that."

The last Arkham games pushed the limits of the T rating in their darkest moments. Hill wouldn't share any specific examples of how Arkham Knight "beat" those games, though he did generally explain why things are going to be more dire than ever for the caped crusader.

"As the end of the trilogy, we have every villain in Gotham working together to destroy Batman," Hill said. "It's unavoidable that some bad stuff is going to happen. But that doesn't mean we changed our approach. We're not including gratuitous blood or swearing. We want to deliver a true end with no compromises, and it takes us to some dark places."

He continued, 'Themes are more mature to some extent. At the same time it's balanced as it's always been. This isn't the case of stripped back Batman. In the case of Arkham Knight, Batman is at his peak and most powerful. That's why they also have to push him harder than before. You still get the power fantasy of being the Batman. But to counter that strength, the super villains are going to fight dirty and take him to dark places."

Earlier in the development process, Hill received an email from Warner Bros that could have drastically changed the game's direction. WB did a ratings analysis on Arkham Knight and pointed out key scenes that will cause "issues."

"I was really freaked out because the solution was to lose the scenes," Hill said. "But they were key scenes! We couldn't lose them! I got the email. I'm freaked out. I thought this was going to destroy the game, everything I'm passionate about... I was building myself up for this big argument. I didn't get much sleep..."

"I got on the phone the next day with the VP of production at DC Comics," Hill continued. "The first thing he asked me was what I wanted to do."

So Hill told him, and that was that.

One potential downside to earning an M rating is that nobody under 17 years old can buy the game without the help of an adult. Hill was aware of this, but he said keeping the game "mass market" wasn't the correct solution.

"I'm not blind to the fact that [the M rating] does mean some fans will miss out... I don't want to be oblivious to that fact. It would have been wrong to water down the game and deliver a story we didn't believe in to keep the game "mass market" or enable it for more people. We feel that's the wrong way to go about it. We said we love the story and we don't want to jepoardize that."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/24/batman-arkham-knight-shows-bruce-wayne-at-his-darkest

Around the Network

So Origins isn't part of the Trilogy?

Looking forward to seeing what they can do that they didn't do before. The old Arkham games seemed pretty graphic and, if I didn't know already, I would have assumed they were for Mature audiences, anyway.

Interesting.
Can't wait for this game.

RolStoppable said:
The M-rating is going to increase the sales to people who are 15 years old or younger, so the reasoning of that developer makes no sense.

That is a given. When minors see how M rated this game can be, they'll still get it. They'll convince their parents that Batman is a relatable, "kid-friendly" character.

Rocksteady's first two Batman games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight, both earned "T for Teen" ratings. When Arkham Knight earned an M (suitable for players 17 and older), Hill said the team was surprised.

----------

Asylum and City were great games, Knight looks great and don't see the rating bothering me.

Around the Network

the sales will rocket launch with this rating, now I wan't this game 100% more!

I can see why this rating might turn off a 15 yo who was a fan ever since Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 because asking his parents to buy him a game was always easier than saving up for it.

.- -... -.-. -..

RolStoppable said:
Mr_No said:

That is a given. When minors see how M rated this game can be, they'll still get it. They'll convince their parents that Batman is a relatable, "kid-friendly" character.

We are talking about the USA here. Excessive violence is of no concern for the vast majority of parents, so kids won't have to do any convincing.

Besides, ratings for video games are merely guidelines, not legally binding like the sale of alcohol. Most clerks aren't going to care if a kid buys an M-rated game on their own.

Funny you should say that. I remember back in 2009, the day after I bought my first PS3, I was at Best Buy to buy Grand Theft Auto IV. I was 18 by then, but the clerk still asked me for an ID. I'm sure several major retailers still ask for ID to minors. However, Gamestop sometimes didn't ask me for any ID.

Hopefully Batman kills some people in this one. Batman's "no kill policy" is so flippin silly for a character that's supposed to be dark and brooding. I am not saying he's gotta go Punisher on bad guys but jeez everytime he lets the Joker live Batman is just as responsible of the Joker's killings!

Oh the fun I will have IDing 13-16 year olds coming into GameStop trying to buy this game

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.