By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem with Wii U

RolStoppable said:
Redgrave said:

How are people supposed to know if they like something or not if it isn't marketed properly?

Serious question, how can a game sell well if the console isn't? The old school word-of-mouth crap doesn't work nowadays. It's not like Nintendo's the only option. It may apply to Minecraft and other similar games that can be picked up on multiple platforms, but it doesn't work with Nintendo. They're cracking down on Youtubers as well, so there's little to no advertisement there. Other than popular Youtubers panning their actions. And whoever is sticking with them is losing pennies. So it's just negative press all around for Nintendo there.

The Wii sold well due to two things, one being Nintendo's heavy marketing campaigns - an example being here in the UK, we had cringeworthy ads with pop groups The Saturdays and Girls Aloud playing the DS and Wii, and obviously, impressionable kids are going to want one because they see their favorite bands playing it. Multiple TV spots, talk show appearances with Reggie, and so on helped sell the system.

And number two, it was different and easy to use, it wasn't the usual sit back and eat chips console with the same controls as the last. Marketed towards a much broader audience than it's competition.

Lack of content? Are you serious?

The Wii had a plethora of excellent games and add-ons to keep people happy. Don't kid yourself, it comes down to the casual market being entitled and extremely fickle. They move freely from fad to fad, look at Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, Tapped Out, and all that "Saga" trash as some examples.

Perhaps the console (Wii U) isn't selling because it lacks the traits to make it sell. You even conceded as much in your reasons for why the Wii sold (and that's basically the only good point in your post). The Wii marketing worked because the Wii was a product that was easy to sell; it didn't take more than 10 seconds of Wii Sports to understand the entire product. On the other hand, the Wii U requires longwinded explanations for why it is fun; something that became painfully obvious during the E3 presentation of Nintendo Land's Luigi's Mansion minigame.

Of course I am serious about the lack of content. In 2010, the Wii sold more than 16m units. Nintendo's release schedule for the first half of 2011 consisted of Wii Play Motion, a minigame compilation that was bundled with a controller. And now you are trying to tell me that that is a plethora of games. Mind you, the second half of 2011 wasn't much better, but the Wii still managed to shift 11m systems in its fifth year. By the end of 2010 there were roughly 80m Wiis sold; a handful of first party releases for the following year simply aren't enough to satisfy a userbase that large.

Oh behave yourself and get off your high horse.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo knew from the get go it wasn't going to live up to the Wii, but I think they were hoping to mock the PS360 sales success, which was about 70m at the time

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Redgrave said:
Shiken said:
I can sum it up better...

Limited network
lack of power
lack of 3rd party support

See how quick and easy that was? =P

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Redgrave said:

RolStoppable said:
Redgrave said:

Oh behave yourself and get off your high horse.

If you have an issue with my argument (lack of content), pull out the release schedules and prove me wrong. It's that simple.

That is, it would be if such evidence existed. It doesn't.

So I have to look up Wii games to prove you wrong? This is what I mean by unbearable Nintendo fans.

Do it yourself, lazy. Or better yet, check your games on your profile, I'm sure there's enough Wii titles on there to keep you quiet.

Around the Network

This is really the root of Nintendo's problems, it's not a name, it's not a TV commercial (or lack thereof), it's not because one game is one way instead of another, etc. etc. 

This is the problem right here, and until its changed, Nintendo likely will never be relevant in the console business:

These 10 people are the ones with power, they are also the ones who are out of touch with the modern market. As long as they are the ones driving the bus, the bus is going to veer way off course. 

You can change other things, but ultimately you're just putting lipstick on a pig. And yes I know some of these people are very nice personalities and have designed some great games, but that's not what a person this high up on the board of directors should be charged with. 

You don't hire your barber to fix your car. The console business is 90% now in the West, the above 10 people don't have the first idea of how to appeal to the modern Western market. 

Redgrave said:
Shiken said:

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

RolStoppable said:
Redgrave said:

So I have to look up Wii games to prove you wrong? This is what I mean by unbearable Nintendo fans.

Do it yourself, lazy. Or better yet, check your games on your profile, I'm sure there's enough Wii titles on there to keep you quiet.

You are just fooling around, right?

But here we go.

Wii Mario Sports Mix 02/07/11 North America
Wii Wii Sports Resort 04/27/11 North America
Wii Wii Sports (Nintendo Selects) 05/15/11 North America
Wii The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo Selects) 05/15/11 North America
Wii Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo Selects) 05/15/11 North America
Wii Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo Selects) 05/15/11 North America
Wii Wii Play: Motion 06/13/11 North America
Wii Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident 06/29/11 North America
Wii Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo Selects) 08/28/11 North America
Wii Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo Selects) 08/28/11 North America
Wii Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Selects) 08/28/11 North America
Wii Punch-Out!! (Nintendo Selects) 08/28/11 North America
Wii Wii Hardware (Family Edition) 10/23/11 North America
Wii Kirby's Return to Dream Land 10/24/11 North America
Wii The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 11/20/11 North America
Wii Fortune Street 12/05/11 North America

Mario Sports Mix, Wii Play Motion, Mystery Case Files, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Skyward Sword, Fortune Street. That's six games for the entire year.

Wii Rhythm Heaven Fever 02/13/12 North America
Wii PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond 02/27/12 North America
Wii Mario Party 9 03/11/12 North America
Wii Xenoblade Chronicles 04/06/12 North America
Wii Pikmin 2 (Nintendo Selects) 06/10/12 North America
Wii Mario Power Tennis (Nintendo Selects) 06/10/12 North America
Wii Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition 09/16/12 North America
Wii Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort 10/15/12 North America
Wii Wii Mini Hardware (Canada) 12/07/12 North America

Rhythm Heaven Fever, PokePark 2, Mario Party 9, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's Dream Collection. Five games, so a total of eleven for 2011 and 2012 combined.

The Wii had hundreds of games by that point, and 1 release every 2 months (give or take) from Nintendo has pretty much par for the course for the last 20 years.  

And things like Just Dance and uDraw became hits during this period. There's also Mario & Sonic Olympics 2012 in there, though technically Sega published in the West, that's basically a co-publishing deal. 

I think the more plausible reason Wii sales slowed is became Kinect and Move came out and the rise of iOS/Google Play app market creating far more intense competetion for the hearts/minds of the casual player. In that tug of war, Nintendo ultimately lost. Also the when every system basically could play Wii Sports (well Kinect Sports, Sport Champions ... same sh*t, stand in front of your TV and pretend to play tennis/golf/etc. by waving your arms around), it nullified the Wii's uniqueness. 

To be honest I'm not sure why MS/Sony even waited so long to copy it, they probably could've slowed Wii sales down much earlier. 

The Wii only outsold the XBox 360 once in NPD after Nov. 2010's release of Kinect. 

Shiken said:
Redgrave said:

Teeqoz said:
The problem with the Wii U is much more complex. The problem is that the audience for only Nintendo games have been in decrease ever since the NES, and the only reason the Wii bucked that trend is because of motion controls. Add to that that their already horrible third party situation is only getting worse, and you've got a serious problem. Of course their lackluster marketing doesn't help, but it isn't the root of the problem.

Yet again a person that ignores handhelds.

GBA > GB (GB had a very long life cycle, GBA only had a life cycle of 3 years yet sold 80% of what the GB did)

DS > GBA

3DS < DS