By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Santa Monica designer threatens future ad revenue and review copies of games in retaliation of low The Order scores

Wow, people, he didnt even work on the order and most of you are going off on one like portions of the game are his fault.

Personally, i think review copies are a bad idea too, but of course saying that means media outlets having to actually invest in something, so they would kick up a storm to prevent it.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Those tweets are seriously disturbing. That a developer employed by a major studio would even flirt with the idea of blackballing members of the media because of low scores is one of the more shameful things I've seen in a long time in an industry increasingly defined by shameful things.

I find the reactions and over reactions far more disturbing both in the gaming media and here. 

From the order being the whipping boy of reviewers to the amount of people here hoping for the game to fail or just go out of their way to bash.

What he actually said in his tweets isn't that bad, but it also wasn't a very mature way to respond to the media...

LudicrousSpeed said:

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/826607-santa-monica-dev-threatens-pull-ads-low-order-1886-reviews

lol?

What a crock.

2/10 if old.

Bullshit, clickbait article title, suprise surprise. Those tweets threaten nothing, they are clearly just the guy blowing off a large amount of steam[punk]. And the guy seems to be a long way from senior enough at SSM to actually turn those rants into reality.

Personally I do think it's problematic that gaming companies buy ad space on review sites.

Also lol at the person who wrote the article saying he scored The Order 6/10 because he didn't enjoy the experience. If I don't enjoy the experience of a game it doesn't rate a score above 5. So was he guilty of over-rating the game by giving it a 6? Why would he do that I wonder? I haven't read the review so I don't know if on balance his review does correlate with a 6. Or is it the stupid (graphics+gameplay+value)/3=score formula as if all 3 elements are of equal importance?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Tachikoma said:
Wow, people, he didnt even work on the order and most of you are going off on one like portions of the game are his fault.

Personally, i think review copies are a bad idea too, but of course saying that means media outlets having to actually invest in something, so they would kick up a storm to prevent it.

How do you know? SM was involved with The Order.

Review copies are a great idea as it means we can get reviews ahead of release date. I've heard of youtubers that they need to return the review copies after they reviewed the game anyway. This probably does not apply to all media outlets though.

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Those tweets are seriously disturbing. That a developer employed by a major studio would even flirt with the idea of blackballing members of the media because of low scores is one of the more shameful things I've seen in a long time in an industry increasingly defined by shameful things.

I find the reactions and over reactions far more disturbing both in the gaming media and here. 

From the order being the whipping boy of reviewers to the amount of people here hoping for the game to fail or just go out of their way to bash.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this has nothing to do with The Order for me. It has everything to do with a designer suggesting that his or any other studio should remove the video game media from the equation because of negative press.

Is there a ridiculous amount of irrational hatred for The Order among forum posters like us? Yes, in some quarters. Is the article posted in the OP sensationalist and poorly written? Yes, undoubtedly. Is the video game media in general plagued by corruption and nepotism? Yes, I believe so. But Rhymer didn't take to Twitter to impeach the integrity of the video game media after years of overinflated scores, conflicts of interest, and unprofessional behavior. He cried foul only when critics panned The Order, and then petulantly wondered aloud whether the punishment for negative press was complete ostracization. This is completely unprofessional, and it says a lot more about developers and publishers than it does about the media and fans. 

How on Earth would consumers be served if games were screened only by sympathetic media members? 

There is another arguement here which is why some games are linear, short and not to different to The Order but recieve much higher scores.

If I was a Dev on the order and my game got torn to shreds when other games got away, I would be pissed to.

I played Bayonetta 2 recently and I completed it in under 8hrs, and I done almost a dozen of the secret rooms. The game was incredibly short, barely had a story, dialogue was seriously lacking and the soundtrack was horrendous yet it was given almost full scores universally. I'm not saying it was bad, but there are times when reviewers lack consistency in their reviews. I didn't play it again, I had no need so longevity isn't even the issue here.

Another game was Vanquish with cut and paste bosses, enemies, zero story, cut and paste QTE's, 5-6 hour campaign and again very little replayability for your average gamer, again almost perfect scores.

Why doesn't length, presentation, sound, longevity, story, dialogue and gameplay matter then? I'm not disagreeing and saying these were bad games as I bought and played both and thoroughly enjoyed them, again in just merely pointing out the hypocrisy and inconsistencies.

If I were a developer and I got screwed like this whilst other games got a free pass, I would be pissed to. Essentially you are paying someone to be unjust, biased and to screw you whilst you sit and be told to smile away.

Fei-Hung said:
There is another arguement here which is why some games are linear, short and not to different to The Order but recieve much higher scores.

If I was a Dev on the order and my game got torn to shreds when other games got away, I would be pissed to.

I played Bayonetta 2 recently and I completed it in under 8hrs, and I done almost a dozen of the secret rooms. The game was incredibly short, barely had a story, dialogue was seriously lacking and the soundtrack was horrendous yet it was given almost full scores universally. I'm not saying it was bad, but there are times when reviewers lack consistency in their reviews. I didn't play it again, I had no need so longevity isn't even the issue here.

Another game was Vanquish with cut and paste bosses, enemies, zero story, cut and paste QTE's, 5-6 hour campaign and again very little replayability for your average gamer, again almost perfect scores.

Why doesn't length, presentation, sound, longevity, story, dialogue and gameplay matter then? I'm not disagreeing and saying these were bad games as I bought and played both and thoroughly enjoyed them, again in just merely pointing out the hypocrisy and inconsistencies.

If I were a developer and I got screwed like this whilst other games got a free pass, I would be pissed to. Essentially you are paying someone to be unjust, biased and to screw you whilst you sit and be told to smile away.

Some clarity on Platinum's games, the cutscenes for most of their games don't count towards your total playtime. Bayonetta 2 would of actually been closer to 11-12 hours and Vanquish 7-8 assuming you didn't skip the cutscenes.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Wonktonodi said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but this has nothing to do with The Order for me. It has everything to do with a designer suggesting that his or any other studio should remove the video game media from the equation because of negative press.

Is there a ridiculous amount of irrational hatred for The Order among forum posters like us? Yes, in some quarters. Is the article posted in the OP sensationalist and poorly written? Yes, undoubtedly. Is the video game media in general plagued by corruption and nepotism? Yes, I believe so. But Rhymer didn't take to Twitter to impeach the integrity of the video game media after years of overinflated scores, conflicts of interest, and unprofessional behavior. He cried foul only when critics panned The Order, and then petulantly wondered aloud whether the punishment for negative press was complete ostracization. This is completely unprofessional, and it says a lot more about developers and publishers than it does about the media and fans. 

How on Earth would consumers be served if games were screened only by sympathetic media members? 

Hahaha, so you think the point of games press is to serve gamer's?

Too bad The Order is " selling extremely well" , that there is no need for him to angry and disappointed with the reviewer Lol, actually many hater help this games selling well. Ooh the Irony