By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A revision of the time Nintendo systems had RARE games.

mZuzek said:
Rare is overrated. There, I said it.

*runs away*

I was never a fan of the word overrated

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Smear-Gel said:

I was never a fan of the word overrated

In other words, you think overrated is overrated.

.....dammit. 

Not quite, though that totally made me laugh.

They deserve a lot of credit to be honest, they basically won the 16-bit wars for Nintendo with Donkey Kong Country and then they saved the N64 with GoldenEye, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, and Banjo-Kazooie filling in key gaps otherwise that would've been a loooooooong wait in between Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

GoldenEye alone carried the console for months on end. Nintendo literally had nothing for holiday 1997, Rare bailed them out with GoldenEye and DKR, otherwise things would've gotten really, really ugly. 

The name 'Rare' will never be the same as it once was, and Nintendo has no reason to try to get them back. Although, I would love if the Rare vets at Platonic Games one day acquire the rights to the old IPs. That way, the franchises would likely go multiplatform, and be accessible to non-XB1 owners.

I suppose we'll first see how Microsoft's Rare will attempt to manage the IPs again...

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
That was a blast through Memory Lane.

I honestly think Microsoft bought Rare for 2 reasons: 1) To Cripple the already crippled Nintendo Gamecube and 2) to try to monopolize FPS... both plans fell straight on their faces however... and now they completely destroyed something that was once great. It's a shame.

they bought rare because they wanted the best developers in the world to make games for xbox. they bought bungie and rare and made a huge splash in the gaming world. bungie worked out. rare died out. 

Around the Network

The guy second to the far left is proof the Elijah Wood is a vampire!

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

I honestly think Microsoft bought Rare for 2 reasons: 1) To Cripple the already crippled Nintendo Gamecube and 2) to try to monopolize FPS... both plans fell straight on their faces however... and now they completely destroyed something that was once great. It's a shame.

You honestly think MS were in the this industry to cripple Nintendo? They tryed to buy Nintendo and Sega because they wanted to compete with Sony. MS brought Rare on acouple reasons. 1-IPs and 2-Brand Power. Rare were falling at the end of there career with Nintendo. With all the retirments happening at Rare its not a shock to see Rare lose there way at this stage of there life. If Rare were as good as many claim them to be at the end of the N64 then Nintendo would have never sold them. MS won that battle quite easily. They brought a power house brand with many colourful franchises for a price of around 380m. Minecraft cost 2 billion.

Rare games havnt been outstanding showcases lately however they still made some very successful games later in there Xbox career. Viva Pinata, Kameo and Kineck Adventures etc.

It was because of MS purchasing Rare that made my decision to purchase a 360 over a PS3. I want to play Halo so badly and i was tossing up which console to consider and knowing that MS had Rare made my decision. I still play there games and i dont rate them as highly anymore but there still Rare games and there far from bad, there just not extremly great, there good games. Cant wait to see what they have to offer on the Xbox One.

Azzanation said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

You honestly think MS were in the this industry to cripple Nintendo? They tryed to buy Nintendo and Sega because they wanted to compete with Sony. MS brought Rare on acouple reasons. 1-IPs and 2-Brand Power. Rare were falling at the end of there career with Nintendo. With all the retirments happening at Rare its not a shock to see Rare lose there way at this stage of there life. If Rare were as good as many claim them to be at the end of the N64 then Nintendo would have never sold them. MS won that battle quite easily. They brought a power house brand with many colourful franchises for a price of around 380m. Minecraft cost 2 billion.

Rare games havnt been outstanding showcases lately however they still made some very successful games later in there Xbox career. Viva Pinata, Kameo and Kineck Adventures etc.

It was because of MS purchasing Rare that made my decision to purchase a 360 over a PS3. I want to play Halo so badly and i was tossing up which console to consider and knowing that MS had Rare made my decision. I still play there games and i dont rate them as highly anymore but there still Rare games and there far from bad, there just not extremly great, there good games. Cant wait to see what they have to offer on the Xbox One.

They didn't have a choice. Microsoft had 51% of the company so Nintendo had no power anymore. Smart move though the banjo kazooie sold me on the 360 over the ps3 as well.  

I miss RARE. Donkey Kong Country is still one of my favourites.

If Rare was still with Nintendo, my dad wouldn't have bought a Xbox, and I probably would be a bigger Nintendo Girl. Alas, it didn' happen, and the only Nintendo system I actually own is a New 3DS.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!