By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your history with video games

Squeezol said:
MytyKoste90 said:
My first console was a NES in 94' with only 1 game Super Mario Bros, one year later my parents bought me a SNES with 3 games: Super Mario World, Super Street Fighter 2 and Donkey Kong Country.

Hah, that's quite interesting. So you never got another game for your NES?

Unfortunately i didn't, it was quite hard to find games for NES in 94', and in my country at that time , Terminator(which was a counterfeit NES) dominated the small "market", it was 10 times cheaper than a NES and you could buy games for like 1$, exactly same games NES had.

Around the Network

My first taste into the gaming world was in 1980. My grandmother came to our place one september day with both of my cousins and had a package in hand. My sister and I opened the package(it was for both of us) and lo and behold it was an Atari 2600. Now at the time I didn't know what a console was or video games for that matter but it gave me my first introduction into Video games. Well in 1985 when the NES came out I really wanted one but my Mom wasn't working at the time and they were pretty expensive (at the time) when they first released. So in 1988 my mom found a job (dad worked, but a lot of the money went to bills, mortgage etc....) and I proceeded to ask again for an NES. They were not giving a lot of OT at my moms job so then I concocted a plan to see if my mom and my grandmother can go in together to get me an NES and 2 games. So on Christmas day I got my NES and to my surprise my grandmother took it upon herself to buy me a third game (I gave them a list of 12 games and asked them to pick out any 2 they wanted). I ended up getting the Legend of Zelda as my surprise game. Well 3 months later my Grandmother passed away and to this day the NES is still my favorite console of all time because of the awesome games and the memory of my grandmother that got me into gaming and the cool surprise (extra game) of that great christmas day in '88.

Then I got a Genesis on christmas of '92. Great system played it for about 4 years then in '96 I made enough money at a job I was working at (I was 20 at the time) and bought my first Console in the PS1. I bought FFVII and a little ol game that I had no knowledge of at the time but took a chance on and I am glad I did and it was Resident Evil: The directors Cut(I bought those 2 gmes when I got the system). At that time I didn't know what "survival horror" was and when I played the game I really liked it. The PS1 really showcased what gaming could be in the console market, so many great titles and gave a rebirth to my favorite title( Metal Gear for the NES was one of my fav games) and series of all time: Metal Gear Solid.

So in 2002 I bought a PS2. I bought the big name titles and played them but I was dating a lot and had a few GF's and I just fell out of gaming for a few years until in 2006 when I moved out on my own (my own apt) I dusted off the PS2 and started playing it again and it rekindled a love of gaming for me. So in 2009 when the Prices went down I bought a PS3 bundled with Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid IV. I traded the KZ2 game to a guy at work for a game and a series that I have come to like a lot and that game was Uncharted:Drakes Fortune. The PS3 got me back into full gaming swing and I currently own a PS4 and I am enjoying it and can't wait for the upcoming months when a ton of great games will be released. On a side note I also did some PC gaming in the 90's and gamed a lot in the arcades (they were big back in the 80's) lot of good memories and spent quarters :).

Thanks for the replies. I love you all.

Early on, I would play whatever I could get my hands on. While I played on others's Ataris, PCs or at the arcade, I owned basically one console from the 3rd generation on: Nintendo, Super Nintendo, then Playstation to the Xbox. I took a few years off and came back for an Xbox 360 and now bounce between a Wii U and a PC. It's all about fun to me... that's where my loyalty lies.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

able to know about consoles was when I'm around 6 years old. one of my friends have the Family Computer (NES). My mom bought a Family Computer when I was 8 years old. Lots of cool games back then, my 1st game bundled with the console is Twinbee. then there were a lot of my friends that we could swap games. I've have my family computer until I'm 15 years old.

One of my highschool classmates have a Playstation 1 back in 1999, and he allowed me to borrow his SNES, and played all his games with it. I didn't own but in my country back then we can rent console games per hour basis but make sure the game is also available. So i have a lot of those things to play with SNES, PS1, and even N64.

Then during college years, it was basicall all PC games. Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Sims, etc..
after graduation it is still PC and played Dota most of the time.

came back to consoles, bought a Wii in 2008, and PS3 in 2009. a few games around 10 of each.

when I came to the US last 2012. Pre-ordered PS4 and bought a Wii U last year. I've increased my PS3 game library to 30 since then. i have 10 games for PS4. and more or less 20 games for Wii U.

I'm also playing steam games like Dota 2 and FF XIII from time to time plus the PS3, Wii U and PS4 games i have.

Around the Network

Though I'm on the lower end of the scale in age when it comes to gaming I surprisingly played the gens in order in how I was introduced:

When I was much younger my dad bought an Atari classic game for PC, which I fell in love with (Adventure was my fave), it wouldnt be till years later but I got a Gameboy Advance with SMB3 and the first 2 Zeldas which put me in the NES era sorta, I'd then get Pokemon and SMW/Yoshi's Island as well being SNES ports (Pokemon being the exception) and I bought a N64/GC around the same time as well and later got a PS1 and PS2, then I entered the 7th gen with the DS, then Wii, then PS3 and for 8 I only have a Wii U at the present

I'll join in.

I started playing games on one of the Atari systems (I was 3, don't recall which one) with Pitfall.  Mom got me an NES for Christmas one year but wouldn't buy me any "violent games" for it.  I specifically remember Mario games being OK and Double Dragon being the equivalent of Satan.  So I had games like Mario, Zelda, Adventures of Lolo, etc. to keep me busy.

A few years later my mother's boyfriend moved in and brought along his huge game collection.  It was there that I got my first taste for RPGs with Final Fantasy.  Finally got my hands on some of those Satan games too.  Double Dragon, Battletoads, games of that ilk.

From there we kept up with the systems pretty well.  When the Genesis and Super Nintendo were both out, my brother and I demanded the systems individually for Christmas.  I got the Genesis, he got the SNES, and we both reaped the benefits.  I distinctly recall Altered Beast, Sonic (all of them), Super Mario World, Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat filling many of my hours.  

Then I found games like Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II and III (the shock later when I found out they were really IV and VI was amusing), Secret of Evermore, Illusions of Gaia, and Shining Force.  That was where I became an RPG whore.  Squaresoft had become a "can-do-no-wrong" company for me that gen.  Sega CD kept my interest with games like Popful Mail, Vale, and the Lunar games.

Initial exposure to PS1 was through friends.  MK Trilogy stands out as the game that made me think "I must have this system."  N64 was a day one purchase.  Killer Instinct Gold, Turok, and of course Mario 64 were staples in the house.  I remember the first Christmas after getting my PS1 I asked my mother to get me FFVII.  She was unable to find it, but took a suggestion that the clerk at the local game store made that Myst was "pretty much the same game" and got me that instead.  Hated that damn game.  Love affair with Square continued with games like Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, and of course all the Final Fantasy games.  Especially Tactics though, love that game.

I never bought a Saturn.  Friend had one.  Only game I recall on it was Dragonforce.

Handheld systems up to this point were never really my thing.  I had a gameboy.  Played Pokemon (blue), tetris, and a few other games on it.  Never really got into anything significant there though.

Sixth gen saw huge changes in how I allocated my gaming time.  I didn't care for the Dreamcast at all.  Brother bought one, I liked the 2k football games but never got into anything else there.  PS2 was bought exclusively for Square games.  Got an xbox because I was interested in what MS could do as a console maker.  I don't recall much of what I played on either system though beyond the obvious Final Fantasy, Halo, and for some reason Tony Hawk games.  Spent a ton of time in gen 6 on PC.  Diablo 2 and Dark Age of Camelot were the heavy hitters there for me.  Also discovered Age of Empires 2 around this time and played the hell outta that one.  Spent almost 5 years exclusively on Dark Age of Camelot though.  Think I came up out of that one for FFXII and that was about it.

Gen 7 I was out of my home and living with roomates so the game systems were individually purchased and turned communal.  Spent a ton of time on my friends 360 playing games like Halo, Gears, Blue Dragon, and Rock Band.  Got a PS3 on a whim, wasn't terribly interested in the launch line up.  Got it with Dark Kingdom I think.  Picked up a Wii for Twilight Princess.  Turned Wii Sports Bowling into a drinking game and spent many nights black out drunk because of it.

Grabbed a DS, played a few GBA games on it that I had missed.  Nothing stands out as memorable that wasn't a remake of some sort though.

In the beginning of Gen 7 it was 360 for everything PS3 and Wii for exclusives only.  As the gen wore on I spent more time on the PS3 than I did the 360.  Eventually got my own place, bought my own 360, and had all 3 systems myself.  Kinda took a break from RPGs this gen as well.  Found myself double dipping on a few 3rd party games as I tried to figure out which was better for me; trophies or achievements.  Eventually the PS3 stuck as my go to.  I recall, right before trading in my 360, that the only game I had for it at that point was Mass Effect 3.  Highlights of this gen for me were Catherine, Bioshock, Infamous, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age (but only Origins, DA2 was awful), and Gears.

Gen 8 the only system I don't have yet is the XB1, largely because of how my interest in the 360 waned through Gen 7.  Waiting on Quantum Break at the moment to pull the trigger.  Sunset Overdrive looks interesting and I will play Halo and Gears, but I want something more before I make the dive.  PS4 is my main console.  Wii U for exclusives.  Bought the Vita mainly for remote play.  So far also enjoying SAO on it.  Lot of Vita RPGs on my Gamefly queue though. 3DS has been another almost exclusively for RPGs purchase for me as well.

I keep playing because the games continue to hold my interest.  I enjoy the interactive nature, the storytelling, and the community that is video gaming.

My first console was Mattel Intellivision, and I loved games like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Sea Battle, Triple Action, Burger Time, Happy Trial, BeamRider, AutoRacing, Advanced Dangeons&Dragons, Lock 'N' Chase, etc.

Than I played a lot with the C64, which was not a console, but basicly I was using it only for games, like a Console. Then Amiga500, Megadrive, PSX, Saturn, N64, PS2, XBox, GC, DreamCast, PS3 and 360, and now only PS4.  Sadly Nintendo disappeared from my collection since GameCube, and MS also since 360.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I started off as a little kid sitting in the toddler seat of the shopping cart when suddenly...BAM!!!...my dad unexpectedly puts in the cart the original NES...and from that day forth I fell in love with Nintendo and video games in general.

Been having a blast ever since. The only downside to gaming now is that all of the people i've gamed with now have moved away from gaming so I really don't play with anybody anymore and single campaign games have been the bulk of my new gaming library nowadays. Because of this I still have yet (nor even considered) to buy a PS Plus membership because the only need for it really is to play online but I have nobody to play online with, and I dont care to play with random people.

First console was the NES. My parents bought it at a garage sale in the early 90s along with Super Mario, Rad Racer, Where's Waldo, The Little Mermaid, and duck hunt. I cannot even count the number of times I beat Mario! My siblings and I had a lot of fun with that console, which is in fact still hooked up back home on an older TV.

Second was the Playstation. The kids got it for Christmas one year as a joint present from Grandma in 2001. It contained some of my all time favorites and really sparked my love for video gaming. Games I've played through multiple times included Spyro, Crash Bandicoot 2, Twisted Metal 2, Tomba, THPS2, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, and a few of those discs you got in magazines that included demos for Jersey Devil/Coolboarders etc. My beloved PS1 fried from so much use back in 2003, but I have a replacement back home next to the NES.

Next was the PS2. I remember saving up my money along with my sister to buy a used one from the an ad in the paper. Unfortunately it didn't work and the seller could not be reached :(. However, my oldest sister had one of her own that I was allowed to play. I spent most of my time on GT4, NFS Underground, Tony Hawks underground 2, Project Snowblind, NHL 2005, and replays of the PS1 classics. Ironically, my favorite PS2 games such as SOTC, FFX, MGS3, and GOW2 weren't played until I got the HD collections for PS3.

In between consoles I spent a lot of time on the PC playing flash games and early disc-based games. Theme Hospital, Age of Empires, NFS Hot Pursuit, and sports games like Madden 2005 and NHL 2002. I also put a lot of time into Bloons Tower Defense (no ragrets). Now my PC gaming is limited to emulation of PS1/GBA etc.

The Wii! Again a family Christmas present in 2010. I maxed out rank on all wii sports & wii sports resort, SSBB and MarioKart. Also played Madden, SlapShot, Just Dance, and the game that I have spent the most time on in my life: COD4 Reflex Edition (Over 30 days on it). Wii still gets a lot of love when we feel like couch co-op.

Finally is my PS3, which I've had for about a year and have a large collection for. TLOU, Uncharted trilogy, GOW trilogy, MGS collection, COD4, Skyrim, AC2, BioShock series, Arkham City, Mass Effect, RDR, Portal 2, and countless other games that I love very much. PS3 is hooked up to an LED PC monitor in my basement room here with me at college. I play the shit out of my PS3 and have a huge backlog of games that I want to get through. I freaking love this thing for the huge variety of games it has!

So yea, that's my history m8. If you got through the wall of text, congrats.

#1 Amb-ass-ador