By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Woes Show Just How Bad Nintendo's Are

sundin13 said:
theprof00 said:

I know I always bring up this controversial survey, but why do you think that the main gamers on nintendo platforms are 6-11?? The older gamers disappear for whatever reason..and I don't mean they don't exist. I mean they don't support the company.

Nintendo's Wii U demographics as of last September

Where did ya get that from?

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
sundin13 said:

Nintendo's Wii U demographics as of last September

I posted my source a couple posts after my original post. It came from a Nintendo/Unity presentation of some sort.

MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Lol, that just shows how awful Nintendo's marketing is, not that the mass market isn't interested in Nintendo's games.

And that's a sales chart, not a scientific study. A sales chart of Nintendo's consoles btw. We're talking about their games, not their consoles.

If Nintendo ever decides to go third party they'd easily be the biggest third party developer in the world. But I guess the mass market doesn't care?

If they can't sell their new consoles, they can't sell their new games.

Not 100% true.  Even though the Wii U hasn't sold very many units, the attach rate for Nintendo's bigger titles are very high.  If the Wii U had sold a lot more units, I doubt that the attach rate of those titles would be the same.

sundin13 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I posted my source a couple posts after my original post. It came from a Nintendo/Unity presentation of some sort.

Thanks.

sundin13 said:
Aeolus451 said:

This isn't true wii u demographics. It's just the demongraphics of the people who use the eshop. That's a big difference.

Around the Network
tolu619 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Problem with the audience? It's more or less nintendo's fault for not making appealing games for gamers today instead of for gamers in the 90's.  Those games are not popular anymore or well known/beloved except for in nintendo's ever decreasing fan base. It would be fairly easy for 'em to change things but the leadership in the company is stubborn beyond a fault. People buy consoles that they think will (or does) have the games they want to play.  Apparently, nintendo is not that console. I like some of their games but it doesn't justify the purchase of a console for a handful of games that I would like. 

This (the underlined) is a very good point. Basically, the same reason I buy Nintendo consoles first, then get other consoles later is the same reason other people get other consoles first, then get (or not get) Nintendo consoles later.

So you buy nintendo's consoles because it doesn't or will not have the games you want? I have to ask to clarify it so i can make sure I understood you right.

MDMAlliance said:
After reading through pretty much 80% of the posts here, I think that using the word "quality" is just creating more problems. "Quality," to me, is more of an objective term. However, many people are using the term very subjectively, and I don't really think there's a very objective way to talk about games in the first place.

Yeah, there's too many different ways to take it. Some think that quality is determined by it's review scores, others see it to mean that the game is not glitchy and works fine. I'm sure there's other versions of it's meaning but I'm not aware of 'em.

Aeolus451 said:
sundin13 said:

This isn't true wii u demographics. It's just the demongraphics of the people who use the eshop. That's a big difference.

According to the same source, about 70% of Wii U owners have their system connected to the eShop (the way he words it is a little confusing, where it is unclear whether that is the number of "regular" visitors or total visitors)...I think that is a pretty representative sample.

sundin13 said:
Aeolus451 said:

According to the same source, about 70% of Wii U owners have their system connected to the eShop (the way he words it is a little confusing, where it is unclear whether that is the number of "regular" visitors or total visitors)...I think that is a pretty representative sample.

I think that it is highly inaccurate because of parents having to go on there to buy things on eshop for their kids when their kids shouldn't be on eshop for the most part. What parent would just let their kid buy stuff online with their credit card? A lot of 25 year olds and up would buying the console for their kid and buying stuff on eshop for their kid.

It's eshop. It only tracks who buy stuff on it.

Aeolus451 said:
sundin13 said:

I think that it is highly inaccurate because of parents having to go on there to buy things on eshop for their kids when their kids shouldn't be on eshop for the most part. What parent would just let their kid buy stuff online with their credit card? A lot of 25 year olds and up would buying the console for their kid and buying stuff on eshop for their kid.

It's eshop. It only tracks who buy stuff on it.

The data is likely from NNID creation not Credit Card information. Its only logical to assume that the NNID would be created for the primary user of the console, especially for parents who want to implement parental controls. There is no reason to assume any meaningful skew would be present due to non-primary users creating the primary account.

I already argued about all of this with Prof....I don't see the point in doing it again.