By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat Wii Online Decapitated

BenKenobi88 said:
 Does anybody still play videogames with their FRIENDS anymore? Seriously. Online's a nice addition, and it allows me to play experienced players or my friends when we're not together, but it's not essential for me.

That's the thing: I don't live near my friends anymore. The closest gamer friend I have is around 25 miles away. The others are about 125, which is why I love XBL so much. We all hop on together, talk shit, and play games like Worms or Catan for hours. We'd never be able to do that with a Wii or PS3 (well, not yet on the PS3).

I like my Wii but Nintendo's hardline approach to things like HD resolutions and online gaming really frustrates me at times. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Does anybody still play videogames with their FRIENDS anymore? Seriously. Online's a nice addition, and it allows me to play experienced players or my friends when we're not together, but it's not essential for me.

That's the thing: I don't live near my friends anymore. The closest gamer friend I have is around 25 miles away. The others are about 125, which is why I love XBL so much. We all hop on together, talk shit, and play games like Worms or Catan for hours. We'd never be able to do that with a Wii or PS3 (well, not yet on the PS3).

I like my Wii but Nintendo's hardline approach to things like HD resolutions and online gaming really frustrates me at times.

Why can't you do that on the PS3?  Don't all have it yet?

I am also frustrated by Nintendo's slow support of online gaming.  Many things worry me about the Wii... 

windbane said:

Why can't you do that on the PS3?  Don't all have it yet?

I am also frustrated by Nintendo's slow support of online gaming.  Many things worry me about the Wii... 

It's mainly the selection on PSN right now that holds it back.

Home will also be a step in the right direction with a unified friends list. Makes finding people and getting a game together a lot easier.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Poseidon said:
Bodhesatva said:
ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:

As a PC gamer, I've always chuckled at the notion that, say, God of War II and Grand Theft Auto players are more "serious" or hardcore." From my perspective, you're all casual. "Hard core" video gamers, to me, make a living playing video games, or at the very least, play those games 10+ hours a day. I have always felt the bulk of Playstation 2 owners were in some nebulous center area: not children, by any means, but also not serious gamers.

My personal opinion -- Video game consoles, in general, alienate hardcore gamers, not just the Wii. It's not the right venue for it. Personally, I pay 400 dollars a year to make sure my PC gaming rig is up to date and keeps me competitive in the world of professional gaming. THAT is hardcore, and it's something that consoles (and, particularly I think, gamepads instead of mouse/keyboards) have never provided.

interesting opinion on what HardCore is but frankly I disagree.

A hardcore gamer is someone who has played games through multiple generations on many different systems. You might say professional gamers are hardcore.. they arent.. half of them never played Pong or PacMan in their lives. There just Professional Gamers. I'm a hardcore gamer. I've played competitively (Former Cal-P UT04 1v1) and have owned/played every console since the Atari 2600.

That's fine. You can certainly have your opinion of the definition, and I can have mine.

I'm going to have to agree with ssj12. Your definition is more of a "Hardcore PC Gamer." If you feel like spending $400 annually, all the power to you man. This is one reason why people in a way flock to consoles because developers have to manipulate the hardware that is presented to them, whereas, let's be honest some people that make PC games are waiting for that new graphics card. Crysis is making a few people rip their hair out.

PCs just lack traditional RPGs, action/adventure games (And when they do, it's crappy), platformers, and party games.

Interesting -- I think most people flock to Consoles because most people aren't hardcore (and in fact, if most people were, then the definition would need to be reworked).

I'll put this simply: any new console is cutting edge for, at most, a few months. Even the PS3 is beginning to be eclipsed already (DirectX 10 is live!). For a developer that absolutely must, at all times, have the best possible hardware at their disposal, the console is only an option for perhaps 3 months out of a 6 year generational cycle.

I see many posters acting as if visionary minds looking to expand video games are going to do so on the PS3. I say they're wrong: they'll do it on the PC -- and perhaps the Wii, thanks to the unconventional control scheme. This has historically been true: other than Nintendo and Miyamato, since the NES, every major video gaming innovation has been on the PC: Simulators (as in, Sim City, the Sims, etc), Real Time strategy games, First Person Shooters, Massively Multipler Online Games or heck, even online games in general -- basically every new genre invented since the basic action/adventure/rpg/racing genres were defined back in the 8 bit days has gotten its start on the PC. There certainly have been some wonderful refinements and polishes of existing ideas: Halo, console versions of The Sims, the advent of Xbox Live, and several others are great games, but not highly innovative. Heck, The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker may be one of the greatest games of its generation, but it's as close to rehash as you can get intellectually. It's just rehashed very well.

At this moment in time, the Xbox360 is no longer cutting edge technology for companies looking to expand the possibilities of gaming. The PS3 falls into the same category -- or will, very soon. These platforms are very good, even excellent, for bringing existing innovations to the mass market. But precisely because they are "platforms," and not constantly evolving hardware, these systems cannot be cutting edge for long. This is the primary reason I don't think of them as hardcore, frankly.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Just a note : Mortal Kombat for Wii won't be online because the Wii online development kits didn't get out until about febuary, and it was too late by then for midway to implement the changes.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
vanguardian1 said:
Just a note : Mortal Kombat for Wii won't be online because the Wii online development kits didn't get out until about febuary, and it was too late by then for midway to implement the changes.

Probably because they didn't want to delay their game, and Nintendo, as a matter of pride, wanted to be the first to get online.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Yeah this isn't news. Its been know that Armageddon for Wii was going to lack on-line play for a while. Its the same game as before, with motion controls, Khameleon, a training mode, and a Survival Mode added.

Khameleon 

I prefer online with my PC. It almost seems like the PC online gaming community is more civilized, if you avoid games like Counter-Strike. The most annoying thing I've ever done was play Halo 2 online. Just hearing peoples voices on there makes me wanna vomit in my mouth, especially when they say stupid/racist/ignorant comments/insults. I'm not saying PC online gaming doesn't have its share of idiots, but it almost seems more pervasive on consoles.

BenKenobi88 said:
I don't care. I wouldn't plan on playing MK online anyway. Does anybody still play videogames with their FRIENDS anymore? Seriously. Online's a nice addition, and it allows me to play experienced players or my friends when we're not together, but it's not essential for me. SSBB is nearly essential, only because they've been hinting at it being online forever now.

I agree 100%, and I might add that we as gamers like co-op (play better than co-op online play. It is fun to grab a controller, play together, shout out loud together work work co-op through levels, Online is more aof a seculded event, you sit at your home (usually alone) and they sit at theirs....Boring

Bring co-op bakc, for those who do not remember co-op, download contra....just wish they would make good ones, Marvel Ultimate aliance is usppose to be decent I have heard

Bodhesatva said:

As a PC gamer, I've always chuckled at the notion that, say, God of War II and Grand Theft Auto players are more "serious" or hardcore." From my perspective, you're all casual. "Hard core" video gamers, to me, make a living playing video games, or at the very least, play those games 10+ hours a day. I have always felt the bulk of Playstation 2 owners were in some nebulous center area: not children, by any means, but also not serious gamers.

My personal opinion -- Video game consoles, in general, alienate hardcore gamers, not just the Wii. It's not the right venue for it. Personally, I pay 400 dollars a year to make sure my PC gaming rig is up to date and keeps me competitive in the world of professional gaming. THAT is hardcore, and it's something that consoles (and, particularly I think, gamepads instead of mouse/keyboards) have never provided.

Hardcore is a silly term. And even if it wasn't, that's not hardcore... That's having a problem. You sir, should seek help for your problem.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.