By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

This is like a worst version of metal gear solid 4, gameplay vs video wise

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:

someone posted this on another forum and it made me laugh pretty hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-u5tvQC34

Yeah I posted that somewhere when it was at like 20k views. Good to see how great it spread across the internet.

PwerlvlAmy said:

someone posted this on another forum and it made me laugh pretty hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-u5tvQC34

Lol, that laugh!

spemanig said:
jlmurph2 said:

I'm talking about the meta score lol

Oh, boy. WELL that's one point closer to what I would have scored it, lol.

Lol I had a feeling that you were on to something when you were explaining what you felt was wrong with the game.

'The Order: 1886' PS4 review: Enough with the length, this game is exceptional !

''The gaming industry never ceases to amaze me with the types of "controversies" that continue to come up. While I won't get into the numerous others that come to mind, the issue with The Order: 1886's length is by far the most absurd to me. How many games have you played where you said, "yep, it was a 15-hour game and because of that it was great?" That's right, none. What makes a game great, no matter if it is 40 hours long or eight hours long, is the experience it delivers from start to finish. That's what defines a game, not its duration. Enough with the length, The Order: 1886 is an exceptional game.

Permission given to use photo by SCEA
Permission to use photo given by SCEA

Let's get straight to the point, the playthrough I had with The Order: 1886 lasted eight hours and it was glorious. Ready At Dawn's new IP put players in the role of Sir Galahad, a member of the Queen's mighty order that defends humanity from the ongoing liken threat. A conspiracy is afoot and Sir Galahad quickly finds himself in the middle of a situation he did not expect. The Order: 1886 is a great film as much as it is a great game.''

http://www.examiner.com/review/the-order-1886-ps4-review-enough-with-the-length-this-game-is-exceptional

Can't wait ! 2 hours and 13 min to go for download !

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
Sweep said:

Very disappointed of people using reviews to judge a game without playing it...

Reviews are a fair way to avoid wasting money on a bad game. It's not the readers fault and such results were expected, given the trailers.

Except that...The game is far from bad here.

Most reviews of The Order are suspiciously unfair to it. I'm at Chapter III and can't understand what's bad in this game for the moment.

DonFerrari said:
Game_God said:

That is why so many defended it & still do!

This game shows exactly the pit the gaming industry is falling in: Shiny-shiny but crappy-crappy.

It's been a while that eyecandy has been the main break or make factor for videogames.

Gamers jump in mass into the hype pool, blinded by the visual eyecandy so devs abuse & cultivate this easy way of marketing/hyping games that rely heavily on graphic technical aspects (good technicians) rather than creative gameplay mechanics (good game designers), with propaganda focusing on the wrapping hiding the substance under the rug.

How gamers conditioned to react to eyecandy will now hype themselves if they can't rely on the graphic factor? That's why so many are defending it despite the evidence. The consensual metric is being proved flawed!

This time it seems the wine despite a good looking bottle, was more vinegar than a good vintage!

Will lessons be learned?

Gameplay > graphics! Always!!!

Never heard anything funnier. Easier to make great graphics than gameplay? This must be why production cost and team size of a AAA eye candy is a lot less than a small and "ugly" but solid gameplay right?

And is good to know you hold the absolute truth about what is importante in gaming and how we only jumped gens to improve world size and gameplay possibilities with graphics being marginal. Technical/graphical improvements areseveral fold bigger than gameplay/inputs on basically any gen transition. But why won't you recode pong to make its gameplay 8th gen like using all power for ai, map size, etc but leave the graphics equal. That should make a helluva game since original pong is still great even after decades.

Why so defensive, did I offend you?

Glad to hear that reading me was funny, at least you had a good laugh & it didn't cost you a penny!

Not to patronize you, but I've been working in the 3D modelisation & animation for 15 years now, so I know a bit about what I'm talking about.

All you need to have pretty graphics today is money, nothing more!

We have tools & enough competent artists in the industry to make pretty games. It doesn't even require particular artistic talent or creativity, I've met my fair share of 3D "artists" with as much artistic talent as a rock. They were good at mimicking reality with the tools they had & it was more than enough to produce great visuals.

Game designing on the other hand is quite different, despite having its technical intricacies, you need talent, a good share of it, in order to create, envision something that works as a game.

You need to put together gameplay, a visual identity, a musical ambient, an enticing story (when it's the case), undestand the technical limitations & pitfalls of your project & the feasibiilty of it within a budget & time frame. That dear DonFerrari, can't be bought by money.

Works the same for music, cinema... touching people is not a matter of money but talent! Graphics are a matter of talent but mostly of money & they are not nor should they be the driving force behind a good game. Gameplay does not exclude great graphics, in fact it should support it, but more & more eyecandy is the target of game producing as Ready at Dawn admited quite sadly, "graphics, story & then gameplay"... It should always be gameplay, replayability, graphics/music, story (if the scope of the game needs it)!

You should listen to me, because as you said it yourself: I "hold the absolute truth" ;P

I know I will make you laught at least, so all is not lost :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

RolStoppable said:
0815user said:

ok, let's assume something like: "creating controversy to cause reactions" (which we're actually contributing to through this conversation right now) doesn't exist in today's media, since when is 66 out of 100 considered bad?

66 is bad because 75 is accepted as average.

average = median = half of maximum = 50 out of 100

75 =/= 50 =/= average 

qed

accepting something as fact does not necessarily make it true  

Game_God said:

Why so defensive, did I offend you?

Glad to hear that reading me was funny, at least you had a good laugh & it didn't cost you a penny!

Not to patronize you, but I've been working in the 3D modelisation & animation for 15 years now, so I know a bit about what I'm talking about.

All you need to have pretty graphics today is money, nothing more!

We have tools & enough competent artists in the industry to make pretty games. It doesn't even require particular artistic talent or creativity, I've met my fair share of 3D "artists" with as much artistic talent as a rock. They were good at mimicking reality with the tools they had & it was more than enough to produce great visuals.

Game designing on the other hand is quite different, despite having its technical intricacies, you need talent, a good share of it, in order to create, envision something that works as a game.

You need to put together gameplay, a visual identity, a musical ambient, an enticing story (when it's the case), undestand the technical limitations & pitfalls of your project & the feasibiilty of it within a budget & time frame. That dear DonFerrari, can't be bought by money.

Works the same for music, cinema... touching people is not a matter of money but talent! Graphics are a matter of talent but mostly of money & they are not nor should they be the driving force behind a good game. Gameplay does not exclude great graphics, in fact it should support it, but more & more eyecandy is the target of game producing as Ready at Dawn admited quite sadly, "graphics, story & then gameplay"... It should always be gameplay, replayability, graphics/music, story (if the scope of the game needs it)!

You should listen to me, because as you said it yourself: I "hold the absolute truth" ;P

I know I will make you laught at least, so all is not lost :P

Uabit said:
Most likely renting this game. Not worth buying a game with such a poor gameplay, story and stupid AI.

The only good thing about the game like digital foundry said is that it actually looks as good as some pre-rendered movies and in real time, so graphics are 11/10

What game are you talking about ?

I'm starting chapter III of The Order 1886, playing on hard with no aim assist and it offers a very satisfying gunplay, AI is fair (not the best I've seen but also not the worst) and the Story is developing nicely.

So what game were you talking about btw ?