By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Help me find some good, scary horror movies with supernatural elements

Oh! Reminds me of my Films That Scare You thread.

A few modern ones that you might not have seen yet:

Sinister

Oculus

The Woman In Black

Mama

Shutter

Drag Me To Hell

Orphan

The Orphanage

For something a little different:

The Cabin In The Woods

The sad reality is that there's a limited selection of good horror movies, and a very sparse number of great ones. The genre is chock full of clichés and unispired direction. If you do manage to find one with a decent story, it often fails to deliver a few scares, and vice versa. 

Around the Network

V/H/S was a surprise. Check it out.

that guy gave you a big list,

i like Chillers as i call them like Insidious which was a good modern update of poltergiest really which is also a good film

the exorcists,the omens.the amityville horror old or new,the shining,carrie,drag me to hell,

the haunting in conneticut isn't bad either off the top of me head

Above & Beyond

what lies beneath is a harry ford chiller type

stir of echoes is alright too with keviin bacon and flatliners is an old 1990 one with kiefer sutherland and bacon again

the gift,white noise 1 & 2

the uninvited, the unborn

Above & Beyond

Hmmm. Here's some that I think are good. 

Odd Thomas

Devil

Let The Right One In

Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2

The Fog

The Prophecy series 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
V/H/S was a surprise. Check it out.

Seconded. It's good enough. I thought the second one was pretty bad though.

Aeolus451 said:

Hmmm. Here's some that I think are good. 

Odd Thomas

Devil

Let The Right One In

Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2

The Fog

The Prophecy series 

yeah the prophecy ones,i liked them haven't seen them in a while

Above & Beyond

These were mentioned in the previous page, but I'd like to support their recommendations:

Noroi: The Curse - Blair Witch has nothing on this. Just be patient because at first it seems as if it was taking forever to pick up the pace, but once it does it won't let go. People on IMDB usually agree that the ending is very disturbing.

Shutter - The original Thai version is great. A couple of predictable scares, but pretty far in between the tense scenes... And dat ending!

The Eye 1 and 2 from The Pang Brothers - These films manage to be creepy but have a pretty deep plot that will get you thinking.

There's tons of Japanese Horror movies that are scary, specially if you're the type to think about what's happening on screen. Same goes for South Korean films such as A Tale Of Two Sisters (Brain destroyer for many), Phone (similar to One Missed Call but with a better plot), R-Point (Military action meets supernatural elements mixed with a pretty awesome ending that will get you thinking.

And these are not horror per se, but they can be disturbing if you think about the meaning of their settings/plots and how well everything is executed: The Vengeance Trilogy!, I Saw The Devil, Bloody Reunion (Slasher...).

Go check Asian Horror in general!

The Devils's backbone. The first Guillermo del toro movie I ever saw and I consider it one of his better horror movies. Jacobs ladder is also another one I didn't see mentioned. It's probably one the weirdest movies I have ever seen, but it does have some creepy moments. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but it did help inspire the silent hill games.

im a huge horror fan i like all types of horror movies

checkout my list out

the exorcist*
the entity*
taking of deborah logan*
deliver us from evil
babadook*
grave encounters 1,2
all the paranormals*
the mist*
noroi the curse*
dont be afraid of the dark, both versions*
broken, 2008
the jacket
triangle*
coherence*
timelapse
100 Feet*
as above so below
the possession of michael king*
christine*
the changeling
the car
shutter,the original
dark water
the grudge*
session9*
what lies beneath*
stir of echoes
the abandoned
the caller*

i highly recommend the ones with the * in terms of thrilling supernatural elements

Play Me