By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Issues with IGN's MM3D Score

Is IGN full of idiots?

Yes 228 67.66%

No 109 32.34%

Total:337

Oh... the typical "Boo hoo, the game I like didn't get 15/10 and everyone must by law have the very same opinion as me, therefore everyone is a bunch of idiots, boo hoo!" thread. Move along...

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:
veritaz said:
Games don't start off at a 10 point rating, you know that right? A review doesn't start off at 10 and take points off.

Well they give the original Majora's Mask a 9.9, so they took off 1.2 points for the exact same temple

I hope you aren't being serious here. Different reviewer and a different time. If Majora's Mask was released in 2015, it'd do far worse because of it's old mechanics.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

ExplodingBlock said:

So if you remember in the Majora's Mask 3D review, the only con they gave it was "Great Bay Temple", and they gave the game a 8.7

I just finished Great Bay Temple in MM3D right now (Pretty much the same as the n64 version) and how in the holy mother of ASS is that one temple worth

of taking of 1.3 points off of the score?

The temple isn't even that bad, it wasn't even too hard, just had a lot of guessing, water temple was worse in my opinion. 

Also they gave the original Majora's Mask a 9.9, so they took off points for pretty much the exact same game 

I could understand them giving it a 9.5 or a 9 because of some changes they didn't like, but really? Giving it an 8.7 is insane 

And of course, this is right after they give ORAS a 7.8 because of "Too Much Water" and "Too Many HMs"

What you people don't get is that the one con doesn't acount for the whole -1.3.  There just weren't enough positives to make the score higher.  DUH.

Games don't start at tens and lose points. It's possible to have nothing *wrong* with your game and yet not warrant a ten because it doesn't have enough good to warrant it. Scores are awarded bassd on what the game's quality warranted. Not saying I agree with this score; they just lost a lot of staff and that has certainly had and will have impacts on their ability to supply a proper perspective. I'm just saying that's not how reviews work.

ExplodingBlock said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Not even close to the same thing, MM only has 4 dungeons having one that's bad is pretty significant, Mario has like a hundred levels, having one that's bad is a tiny portion of the game.  

I just wanna ask, did you play the Great Bay Temple? It isn't even that bad, just a lot of people who haven't played it think it is. I also didn't see them taking points off for "Water Temple" in the OoT 3D review (Which was much worse)

I never personally said its bad, I'm talking about from the view point of the reviewer.  This is all subjective, which is what reviews are all about.

Around the Network

Games don't start out as 10s by default and then lose points based on flaws. IGN and several other major game review sites have said this many times.

Regardless, if 1/4 of a game's content is lackluster, it should feel lucky to get such a high score.

And this is why score based reviews need to go away... They don't amount to anything, pun intended.

Although, I'll be sad to see them go if they do. Scores are good in the hands of people who don't take them as absolute fact.

Well IGN listed old games as a con when they reviewed Metroid Prime Trilogy. That's the stupidest con I've ever seen in a review.

RolStoppable said:
the_dengle said:

Regardless, if 1/4 of a game's content is lackluster, it should feel lucky to get such a high score.

Keep drinking that Majora's Mask haterade.

I will, but actually I was just saying that within the context of IGN's review they felt one of the four dungeons was inadequate. Had nothing to do with my own thoughts on the game.

I would have good things to say about it if I ever felt like saying good things about it. They're here in my head but they bore me.

*Channels inner IGN reviewer*
I give this thread a 7.8/10. It has too much water.
I also give the human responsible for this thread a 7.8/10, as the human body has too much water.

No, but seriously.

I miss Audrey. I used to love her Nintendo reviews because, well, she's a Nintendo fan like myself. When she said a game was good, I knew I'd like it, if she said it was bad, I knew I wouldn't. They really haven't gotten back to that yet since she left, and it's pretty much gone down hill. Now, I just watch the video review to see a quick snippet of what the game looks like, and go to Destructoid for reviews. They're not always great, but they usually get it right, and the comments section is usually great.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, its the illusion of knowledge