By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Since Wii U failed, what should Nintendo have done to follow up the Wii's success?

Could Nintendo have realistically produced another Wii-like success?

Yes. Nintendo magic. Just not the Wii U. 131 28.85%

No. Wii was a one time th... 262 57.71%

Yo Mama 61 13.44%

Total:454
dongo8 said:
Soundwave said:

The 3DS was "turned around" within 5-6 months. 

No system gets turned around this late in the game. Even the PS3 was selling much better than the Wii U by this point in its lifecycle. 

Nintendo actually isn't that great at turning around consoles either, all of the N64, GCN, and even Wii lost momentum as they went along in their lifecycle, all three pretty much were wheezing like a fat kid trying to get up a set of stairs by the generation end. 

Fair enough, I still place much more faith in Nintendo than I do either of the other console manufacturers. Mostly because I look at the other two, and what original top-tier titles have they produced this gen? I don't see anything screaming have to have it, and I'm confused as to how all of this raw power and graphics, and bluray capability, and entertainment hub is driving sales when there are no dedicated games of note on the consoles. It's strange how Nintendo puts out great title after great title (maybe with a small lull in between titles now that they are rolling) and attracts the attention of the indie scene, yet they are the odd-man out. I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'm jsut holding out hope that people will start realizing just how great they are.

With all due respect, i think you are letting your love for Nintendo blind you. What has the other two done? THe PS brand at least is bigger than Ninty worldwide. ANd what original top tier titles have Ninty done this gen? they had a year headstart and all they've done is follow ups to series they have been making for years. Hell they havetn even put out an original IP yet. 

You are confused and you and a few other people still dont get it. Ninty is not the end all be all in gaming no matter how you think, sales prove it. Peopel want to play non Ninty games. And for the longest time Ninty hasnt had a home console that had what would be considered the most popular games at any given time. and when they did get it it was some bad version (looking at you COD wii).

People have realized that Ninty isnt that great, at least not on their own and not to sacrifice missing out on stuff like COD and GTA

Around the Network
oniyide said:
dongo8 said:
Soundwave said:

The 3DS was "turned around" within 5-6 months. 

No system gets turned around this late in the game. Even the PS3 was selling much better than the Wii U by this point in its lifecycle. 

Nintendo actually isn't that great at turning around consoles either, all of the N64, GCN, and even Wii lost momentum as they went along in their lifecycle, all three pretty much were wheezing like a fat kid trying to get up a set of stairs by the generation end. 

Fair enough, I still place much more faith in Nintendo than I do either of the other console manufacturers. Mostly because I look at the other two, and what original top-tier titles have they produced this gen? I don't see anything screaming have to have it, and I'm confused as to how all of this raw power and graphics, and bluray capability, and entertainment hub is driving sales when there are no dedicated games of note on the consoles. It's strange how Nintendo puts out great title after great title (maybe with a small lull in between titles now that they are rolling) and attracts the attention of the indie scene, yet they are the odd-man out. I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'm jsut holding out hope that people will start realizing just how great they are.

With all due respect, i think you are letting your love for Nintendo blind you. What has the other two done? THe PS brand at least is bigger than Ninty worldwide. ANd what original top tier titles have Ninty done this gen? they had a year headstart and all they've done is follow ups to series they have been making for years. Hell they havetn even put out an original IP yet. 

You are confused and you and a few other people still dont get it. Ninty is not the end all be all in gaming no matter how you think, sales prove it. Peopel want to play non Ninty games. And for the longest time Ninty hasnt had a home console that had what would be considered the most popular games at any given time. and when they did get it it was some bad version (looking at you COD wii).

People have realized that Ninty isnt that great, at least not on their own and not to sacrifice missing out on stuff like COD and GTA

lol. metacritic gave them publisher of the year...not that facts matter. 

jmorris724 said:
oniyide said:

so metacritic is valid now? that still has nothing to do with sales or what i said. Clearly not or it would be doing better.

The Wii U is an odd console, with it's main selling point (the GamePad) at odds with what the system naturally wants to be.

The system wants to be the console for local multiplayer, but the GamePad enforces that only one player gets the entire unique experience.

The system wants to be an efficient, technologically humble console, but the GamePad keeps the system from having a price tag that seperates itself from the other (more powerful) systems. Insteady they've resorted to bundles to try and give you more bang for your buck.

The Wii U wants to be an affordable system that offers a niche in bringing excellent local multiplayer titles for folks to enjoy, but the GamePad is in opposition to these ideas.

I personally enjoy what the GamePad brings to the player. But in the end it only brings it to one player and it's impressive abilities make the system more expensive than it could be with just a Pro Controller.

Smeags said:

The Wii U is an odd console, with it's main selling point (the GamePad) at odds with what the system naturally wants to be.

The system wants to be the console for local multiplayer, but the GamePad enforces that only one player gets the entire unique experience.

The system wants to be an efficient, technologically humble console, but the GamePad keeps the system from having a price tag that seperates itself from the other (more powerful) systems. Insteady they've resorted to bundles to try and give you more bang for your buck.

The Wii U wants to be an affordable system that offers a niche in bringing excellent local multiplayer titles for folks to enjoy, but the GamePad is in opposition to these ideas.

I personally enjoy what the GamePad brings to the player. But in the end it only brings it to one player and it's impressive abilities make the system more expensive than it could be with just a Pro Controller.

I was really thinking Wii U would be alright...until they announced this. I thought it was one of the dumbest things ever and it would hurt it.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Materia-Blade said:

Proven by the market? If anything, the market proved that those "issues" you listed had very little impact on wii u's sales. the main problem is different.

But wii u is not a failure since it's profitable and pleases it's buyers.

How does it prove that those issues I listed have very little impact...? The wiiU isn't even going to sell a quarter of the wii and its due to all those issues which lead to bad press which lead to bad sales

And I am pretty sure most the profits are coming from everything else but the wiiU console itself such as amiibos, software and Nintendo's handheld

Because the wii u's problem is lack of professionalism from third parties. Also you can't say the wii u won't reach a quarter of the wii.

Materia-Blade said:
Captain_Yuri said:

How does it prove that those issues I listed have very little impact...? The wiiU isn't even going to sell a quarter of the wii and its due to all those issues which lead to bad press which lead to bad sales

And I am pretty sure most the profits are coming from everything else but the wiiU console itself such as amiibos, software and Nintendo's handheld

Because the wii u's problem is lack of professionalism from third parties. Also you can't say the wii u won't reach a quarter of the wii.

That is one of the issues (which I also mentioned in my original post) but it also adds up together... And yes I can... Just look at its sales... Its on its third year in a standard 5 year console cycle and it hasn't even reached 10 million yet...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

oniyide said:

I was really thinking Wii U would be alright...until they announced this. I thought it was one of the dumbest things ever and it would hurt it.

One of the main ideas that Iwata credited for the creation of the GamePad was the study book Alone Together.

Instead, the console should have continued Wii's legacy by being inviting and creating a need for people to come together in the living room. The idea behind the Wii U doesn't make any sense, especially coming from their ideology of the Wii. At least the system has some awesome games despite that fact. @_@

oniyide said:
jmorris724 said:

so metacritic is valid now? that still has nothing to do with sales or what i said. Clearly not or it would be doing better.

clearly not or it would be doing better? on such a small install base, mario kart has sold 5 million, smash will sell at least 4 million. they were both also highly critically acclaimed, plus bayonetta 2, and some others. what's amazing is people like you act like the other guys are such bastions of creativity when we're on halo 9 and metal gear 50. your attitude is that of a 13 year old who wants to be "too cool" for nintendo. the other two are putting out broken games with $80 DLC. they're a joke. 

jmorris724 said:
oniyide said:

clearly not or it would be doing better? on such a small install base, mario kart has sold 5 million, smash will sell at least 4 million. they were both also highly critically acclaimed, plus bayonetta 2, and some others. what's amazing is people like you act like the other guys are such bastions of creativity when we're on halo 9 and metal gear 50. your attitude is that of a 13 year old who wants to be "too cool" for nintendo. the other two are putting out broken games with $80 DLC. they're a joke. 

the games are ok, but im talking HW. None of them have really helped the HW its still on its way to becoming there lowest sellinrg console. And imagine how much MORE they could sell if they werent tied to a console that is bombing. Ive never said the other guys were a bastion of creation BUT the sales says they must be doing something right. ANd come on arent we on Mario like 257? isnt that a little hypocritcal?