By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2015 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates up!

Nice for Xbox One regarding software,once again Minecraft makes it in the top 10 for January with the 360 version still selling well.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network

For the people that predict PS3 above XB360 next NPD: usually in February the 360 have a big increase than the PS3, so, probabily that the gap will rise...

Why the hell should the PS3 be above the 360?

When was the last time that happened anyway, 2009 or so?

That gap is over 10m now anyway.

KyleeStrutt said:

Why the hell should the PS3 be above the 360?

When was the last time that happened anyway, 2009 or so?

That gap is over 10m now anyway.

September 2013

Shadow1980 said:

No 3DS numbers yet, huh? There's another hole in my collection of sales data. Oh well.

Anywho, I see there was some doom-mongering a few pages back, so I thought I'd offer a bit of context to see how it's misplaced. Here's what I wrote on the subject in another thread:

Shadow1980 said:

One data point does not a trend make. Let's put this in some context.

While the PS4 is clearly no PS2 in the U.S., its sales aren't anything to scoff at. Yes, January wasn't all that great, but what does this chart show? The PS2 and PS4 both suffered at 82% drop from their second December to their second January. Their January sales were also about the same as their Q2-Q3 baselines (Sept. of last year had Destiny, which was a huge system-seller). Meanwhile, the PS3 had received not one but two rounds of price cuts in 2007, first with the 60GB model being cut from $600 to $500 in July and a new 40GB model released in November for $400, the first PS3 SKU to retail for that price. Granted, the PS4 is also selling at $400, but sales are rarely proportional to price, even among systems of the same brand. All things being equal, the least expensive system in a generation should be the best selling, and price cuts are one of the most consistent and persistent boosters of sales, but we shouldn't expect any specific range of numbers from a system selling at a specific price point. The fact that the PS3, after retailing for an insanely high price point by any standard, was now available for what the 360 was at launch probably reinvigorated interest in the system.

ps4 20gb dropped to 400 around the same time the 60gb went to 500

Play Me

Around the Network

PS4 will easy win Feb NPD too. And March. My bet.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
PS4 will easy win Feb NPD too. And March. My bet.

The funny part is that we criticized vgc not showing much variation between x1 pricehike/drop But Amazon also hadn't abrupt variation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Over on Gaf somebody said 3DS did 74k, I don't know if they are a trusted source but if true that puts Vita at 28k.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Over on Gaf somebody said 3DS did 74k, I don't know if they are a trusted source but if true that puts Vita at 28k.

74k? Holy Crap, i was thinking it did extremely bad, but 74k? If that # is true then its pretty damn good.

Considering 96k was 2014 Jan with this year being down less than 25% (N3DS launch too)