By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ben Stein to take on Darwinism on April 18

Wonktonodi said:
the holy roman empire is not the same as the church you know the saying it wasn't holy it wasn't roman and it wasn't an empire

The head of the effort to bring back the sciences of rome was a holy men.

Around the Network
mmnin said:
rocketpig said:
mmnin said:

As far as scientists being apprehensive toward ID, have you ever considered that the tables have turned and people who believe in ID might be the Galileo or Columbus of today?

That is insanity. The entire difference between ID and scientists is the quest for knowledge.

Scientists are constantly testing, checking, and changing their opinions on various matters. Believers in ID still hold fast and true to a book that was written when the scientific community still believed that mice spawned from rotten fruit like maggots.

One has shown a bit of progress over the past 1500 years. The other still holds true to that 1500 year old book.

Comparing a man like Galileo or Columbus (seriously, did he really even do anything?) to ID supporters is not only insulting, but patently false.

As you have seen from Ben Stein's trailor, there are tons of scientists who are on a quest for knowledge who do not completely accept evolution. I seek knowledge every day that I get up in the morning and I believe that evolution makes some reasonable suggestions, but just because you agree with one standpoint of a Presidential candidate, it doesn't mean he should be elected into office.

There are two groups of people who believe in ID: Those that believe in it because it was written in a religious text and those who have searched for an answer with evolution or other ideas and have come to the conclusion that ID is still the best explaination. Yes, ID is very general, it doesn't specify. How can it??? If ID is true, you would have to see who or what race started it all. That is not possible, but that does not mean it isn't right. To discredit or give credit to something that you cannot prove or disprove is true ignorance. If you believe in Evolution for the simple fact that there is more associative evidence, it shows that you are simply a slave to the system. Why do you think Evolution exists? Stop a moment and think outside the box. Darwin made observations and theorized about Evolution. This is an unproven theory based on OBSERVATION and ASSOCIATION. OF COURSE it is going to have some amount of evidence to support it, the observations and associations! You know how everyone gets mad on these boards when someone makes a stupid topic that cherry picks certain bits of information from the chartz or around their local stores and makes extreme claims. Well that is EXACTLY what Evolution is at it's core.

If someone cherry picked some bits of information, and from that data made extreme claims, which came true, and then cherry picked some more information, and combining with the first bits, made more extreme claims, and those claims came true as well, and so on, then I'd would start to believe the overall theory that the person was claiming.  (Say that there are so many causals that buy games, that they will equal in sales as much as hardcore game sales.)

Evolution is predicted to need a large amount of time to make large amounts of changes.   Is there evidence for large amount of time having occurred?  Yes.  Long term radioactive decay, astronomy (galaxies hundreds of millions of light-years away), measurements of contenental drift.

Evolution has predicted that undisturbed geological strata will have a basic order of fossils in its layers.  Even when that layer has been shown to be folded over itself  (ie like a __  being squashed up into a 'S', but the fossils within the 'S' are from the same period.)

The only prediction that ID can claim is "If I find that I can't explain it myself, I'll believe without any actual evidence for it, that a 'higher power' (one that I can't explain how it came about either) must have done what I can't explain." 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Sqrl said:
timmytomthegreat said:
Sqrl said:
kazadoom said:
are you reading what you are writing? This is nonsense, it takes more faith to believe this then creation. There are so many ifs and holes in what you are saying it is crazy. You keep talking about adaptation, like bears turning white in the snow, and people getting hairier in colder climates. That is not evolution, because they are still bears, and they are still humans. There is NO evidence that species changed from one species to another on this planet.

Really?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12286206/

Really?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2006/0417ethiopian.asp

Good find. I just wish the article I linked had bothered to provide an update on the matter.

The position you're taking stills leaves the conundrum that you have to admit god doesn't exist to hold the position if you wish not to be a hypocrite.

How you ask?

Glad you asked, let me explain: If your position is that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence then God himself fails this test and thus by this logic doesn't exist.

As I've already stated in this thread the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence and the position you and Kaza hold is untennable logically speaking.

If your best proof that evolution is incorrect is that they've only proven it to be true of traits within a species then you have a fairly weak argument considering that basic logic can lead anyone to deduce that even large quantities of small changes over time can cause two different populations to diverge significantly enough to become something else. Really that process doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to understand, but somehow your contention is that because nobody on a Video Game website can show you proof that it happened you would proclaim that it never can?

I have evidence for God's existence.  Read the book The Case For Christ and then we can talk.

Also there is a proof for the existence of God, that to my knowledge no atheist can dis prove, called The Transcendental Arguement for the Existence of God.

http://www.carm.org/atheism/transcendental_outline.htm

http://www.bellevuechristian.org/faculty/dribera/htdocs/PDFs/Apol_Bahnsen_Stein_Debate_Transcript.pdf

Kasz216 said:

Lions and Tigers can have fertile offspring, eh? I gotta see if I can find a picture of that. Bet it's cute looking.

I always thought the Liger was just something made up in the fevered minds of the Japanese.

Neat study too by the way.

Edit: Huh weird. They're bigger then either of their parents... and are only made by Male lions and female Tigers... is it not possible to work the other way? That's called a Tigon... weird.

Well I'll be, never looked into that one. Apparently male Ligers are sterile, wheras female Ligers can reproduce, obviously with either a Tiger or a Lion as the males are sterile. It still holds that Ligers are non-viable offspring though, as the males are indeed sterile. Still that's a definate case of blurring the lines between the species, one of many.

kazadoom said:
GotchayeA said:
But what would distinguish these intermediary species? They'd simply appear to be yet another subspecies. And, in fact, it's my understanding that we have found groups of animals that could breed with another group, which could breed with another group, which could not breed with the first group.

If your question is why we don't see a clear continuum of living species, then the answer is, again, natural selection. There isn't a continuum of environments, and the specialized species on either end are going to be more suitable for one sort of environment or another than the species in the middle. Evolution is supposed to be a very slow process - there's plenty of time for intermediary species to be reabsorbed.

If this is true, then what happened from water to land, they just developed lungs over time, then flopped around on the ground until legs appeared over time?  What did birds do when only one wing developed, wait around on the other one flopping around until they got what they needed?  This is utter stupidity.  If it is a slow process then show me something now that is changing from one species to another.  There ought to be some proof of something out there.  Where are all these mysterious transitional forms?

Kazadoom,

Questions are always good in science and I will not call you stupid. I may use the term ignorant but in the term it was meant to be used as. Basically you are talking about something you have not studied or studied with a biased opinion.

I will start with birds. Birds did not just appear one day and say hey I will fly. Nope infact feathers are found on dinosaur fossils from creatures that did not fly. Pteradactyls flew with webbed wings the same typed of webs that you find on ducks as far as we know today which could also support flight. The process is slow and it is chaotic meaning that many failed species have come about and gone. One rule of Evolution is that a species needs to fill a niche that is unique. Meaning if a mutation did aoccur it will most likely fail and not be able to continue hence the most basic and simple understanding survival of the fit. If you can't eat or get to your food you can not reproduce.

Also with regards to the development fo lungs. Even today there are amphibous animals. Several billion years ago the world was a different place with massive tides that would go up and down over 100 feet in depth. This meant many sea fairing creatures would die when left stranded by a tide however if amphibous they would live and allow reproduction. As time went on creatures that were susceptible to this situation would begin to out number creatures that didn't in this area. Bacteria are very easily able to adapt to this type of situtation as they not only reproduce quickly and tend to eb more resiliatn. Which brings me to my next point.

Tubercolousis, Syphilis, Ecoli strain number 57, Thrush(A mycoloid[AKA fungus]), Strep(rod based bacilli) and staph (Cocci or sphere shaped bacteris)species have changed significantly in the last 20 years to overcome the introduction of antibiotics. Viruses change even faster HIV has already evolved into several different strains that complecate treatment. Without an understanding of evolution this would of taken longer to notice.

No while on topic this is Evolution versus creationism there really is no conflict unless you are a particular type of literalist. Evolution does not state a theory of Abiogenesis(though Darwin most likely felt that way). Evolution does not state the a theory about the creation of the solar system or the Universe. It states that species change and that the changes come and go with extincitions and enviroment.

I will say this about ID though. the left a C for ceationism when they changed the word doc. It isn't science because it is not testable or observable. Being a scientist does not make you atheist(in fact most are more religous than you would suspect).

However creationism has some question to answer for me as it taught in Fundemental schools. The Universe is clearly not 5,000 or even 10,000 years old. Mankind is though(I veiw genesis as the start of the Jewish people and later christians and muslims). Creatures existed millions and billions of years ago. We see stuff every day that the  light  we see takes longer to get to us than that. We even have man made structures older than that. Writings that are older than that as well.

Half lifes are older than that and are very observable and even though this outside of evolution it is within the realms of creationism. If you don't believe in Half lifes of atoms than just forget about nuclear power being able to supply energy or even the sun being able to supply energy for that matter.

Finally many species show similiar characteristics and can not breed. Their DNA shows similiarites as well. Pygmy chimps are very close to humans even in behavior.

At last none of this disproves the existence of God. Even the Big Bang theory does not. However most of interpretations of creationism are counter to Relativity, Atomic theory, Plate Tectonics(you know earthquakes and volcanoes) and Quantam Mechanics(the very same theories that allow me to comminicate to you through my computer). I say interpretation because that is exactly what is an interpretation of a translated text. One that I believe and studied and even learned some ancient hebrew and Koine to do so. Don't go down a super highway in an Ox Cart. I believe that god explains stuff at the level we can understand at the time and has given us the ability to understand and observe the world as it works.

Around the Network

to sqrl,

I get ur point about name. I just said u dont always need a name to be aware of your existence or the existence of others. But I agree the use of name by dolphins is a good point.

So let's say, dolphins know they exist like we know. Let's say Dolphin know others exist like we know. It is like if we are similar Dolphins, except our capacity are quantitatively boosted compared to them (I assume better communication system, better intellectual capacity, better memory, better learning capacity)

then what is the main qualitative difference between human and dolphins (if there is one ...) ?

I believe it is our educationnal system that allow us to better understanding the world and to ask ourselve many conceptual questions. But, in this case, it suggests that first human, without the heavy education system (let's say humans before -10 000 bc) are a LOT closer to dolphins that we are now.

to all,

Just about science history ; remember many civilisation have contributed to the "universal knowledge".
African egyptians, greeks, romans, arabs, chineses have all create a lot of the primary invention that, later, after the "Dark Ages", europeans will use to improve Science. I just want to underline arab and chinese people have made a lot of progress when many europeans people were still fighting each other like asshole.

Time to Work !

redspear said:
kazadoom said:
GotchayeA said:
But what would distinguish these intermediary species? They'd simply appear to be yet another subspecies. And, in fact, it's my understanding that we have found groups of animals that could breed with another group, which could breed with another group, which could not breed with the first group.

If your question is why we don't see a clear continuum of living species, then the answer is, again, natural selection. There isn't a continuum of environments, and the specialized species on either end are going to be more suitable for one sort of environment or another than the species in the middle. Evolution is supposed to be a very slow process - there's plenty of time for intermediary species to be reabsorbed.

If this is true, then what happened from water to land, they just developed lungs over time, then flopped around on the ground until legs appeared over time? What did birds do when only one wing developed, wait around on the other one flopping around until they got what they needed? This is utter stupidity. If it is a slow process then show me something now that is changing from one species to another. There ought to be some proof of something out there. Where are all these mysterious transitional forms?

Kazadoom,

Questions are always good in science and I will not call you stupid. I may use the term ignorant but in the term it was meant to be used as. Basically you are talking about something you have not studied or studied with a biased opinion.

I will start with birds. Birds did not just appear one day and say hey I will fly. Nope infact feathers are found on dinosaur fossils from creatures that did not fly. Pteradactyls flew with webbed wings the same typed of webs that you find on ducks as far as we know today which could also support flight. The process is slow and it is chaotic meaning that many failed species have come about and gone. One rule of Evolution is that a species needs to fill a niche that is unique. Meaning if a mutation did aoccur it will most likely fail and not be able to continue hence the most basic and simple understanding survival of the fit. If you can't eat or get to your food you can not reproduce.

Also with regards to the development fo lungs. Even today there are amphibous animals. Several billion years ago the world was a different place with massive tides that would go up and down over 100 feet in depth. This meant many sea fairing creatures would die when left stranded by a tide however if amphibous they would live and allow reproduction. As time went on creatures that were susceptible to this situation would begin to out number creatures that didn't in this area. Bacteria are very easily able to adapt to this type of situtation as they not only reproduce quickly and tend to eb more resiliatn. Which brings me to my next point.

Tubercolousis, Syphilis, Ecoli strain number 57, Thrush(A mycoloid[AKA fungus]), Strep(rod based bacilli) and staph (Cocci or sphere shaped bacteris)species have changed significantly in the last 20 years to overcome the introduction of antibiotics. Viruses change even faster HIV has already evolved into several different strains that complecate treatment. Without an understanding of evolution this would of taken longer to notice.

No while on topic this is Evolution versus creationism there really is no conflict unless you are a particular type of literalist. Evolution does not state a theory of Abiogenesis(though Darwin most likely felt that way). Evolution does not state the a theory about the creation of the solar system or the Universe. It states that species change and that the changes come and go with extincitions and enviroment.

I will say this about ID though. the left a C for ceationism when they changed the word doc. It isn't science because it is not testable or observable. Being a scientist does not make you atheist(in fact most are more religous than you would suspect).

However creationism has some question to answer for me as it taught in Fundemental schools. The Universe is clearly not 5,000 or even 10,000 years old. Mankind is though(I veiw genesis as the start of the Jewish people and later christians and muslims). Creatures existed millions and billions of years ago. We see stuff every day that the light we see takes longer to get to us than that. We even have man made structures older than that. Writings that are older than that as well.

Half lifes are older than that and are very observable and even though this outside of evolution it is within the realms of creationism. If you don't believe in Half lifes of atoms than just forget about nuclear power being able to supply energy or even the sun being able to supply energy for that matter.

Finally many species show similiar characteristics and can not breed. Their DNA shows similiarites as well. Pygmy chimps are very close to humans even in behavior.

At last none of this disproves the existence of God. Even the Big Bang theory does not. However most of interpretations of creationism are counter to Relativity, Atomic theory, Plate Tectonics(you know earthquakes and volcanoes) and Quantam Mechanics(the very same theories that allow me to comminicate to you through my computer). I say interpretation because that is exactly what is an interpretation of a translated text. One that I believe and studied and even learned some ancient hebrew and Koine to do so. Don't go down a super highway in an Ox Cart. I believe that god explains stuff at the level we can understand at the time and has given us the ability to understand and observe the world as it works.

Excellent post, Redspear.

Kazadoom, look up some current animals that exist now.  Lungfish.  As the name implies, fish with lungs!!  Penguins.  Birds that don't fly but swim better than a lot of fish.  (or at least  the ones that they eat!)  Flying squirrels.  Actually gliding, of course.  But in some 10 millions of years, who knows?   

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Kasz216 said:
Wonktonodi said:
the holy roman empire is not the same as the church you know the saying it wasn't holy it wasn't roman and it wasn't an empire

1st I thought you were a liberal
Next I thought you just hated things supported by religion
Now I believe you just really enjoy debating and arguing, and more so I have a suspection you like to play devils advocate. (which would explain why we clash so much as 2 people playing devils advocate present nothing but counter arguments.)

Note: don't take that as an acusation of not presenting facts

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

if we ever do come in contact with alienz, do you guys think that they would believe in 'our' god?

o_O

i highly doubt it.

kenzomatic said:
Kasz216 said:
Wonktonodi said:

1st I thought you were a liberal
Next I thought you just hated things supported by religion
Now I believe you just really enjoy debating and arguing, and more so I have a suspection you like to play devils advocate. (which would explain why we clash so much as 2 people playing devils advocate present nothing but counter arguments.)

Nah, i'm a more place blame where it looks like it lies due to what the numbers while blocking out things like "Common Sense".

After all isn't that what people who conduct expierments are supposed to do?

That and a tackle problems at the root person. Religion has likely stunted religion at times, though during that period, what they stunted seemed to be less then what they helped bring back and consequently grow.

Plenty of people and things stunt science though... governments, oil companies... even pharmicutical companys in some ways.

The root problem is that any group of people be it religion, government or girl scouts will squash science and many other things so long as they are big enough to do it and it benefits them.  

People in large groups that control everbody without much fear of recourse = bad news.