By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ben Stein to take on Darwinism on April 18

Ben Stein (from Ferris Bueller fame) made a documentary film to be released on April 18.

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/playground.php?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ppc&OVRAW=ben%2Bstein&OVKEY=ben%20stein&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=457655513&OVKWID=4587869013

Watch the trailer.

I think this will be interesting - hopefully funny too.  I can't tell if he tries to be funny, but I find him very humorous.

Would Darwinists see this movie?  I doubt it. 

Around the Network

This movie looks like it should be funny.

It's so heavily edited, it's beyond propaganda. He didn't ever speak to some of the people he's shown interviewing: they just spliced conversations together (that's certainly what happened with dawkins).

Creationists are the funniest thing.

I was drawn in by the trailer. I think I'll see the documentary when it comes out on April 18.
anyone else interested in the movie?

I'm interested in seeing the movie. I just don't want to fund that sort of deceptive propaganda.

Maybe if it gets put up on youtube.

Around the Network

Is Ben Stein a creationist? I thought he was smarter than that. But wait, he's a comedian so he probably is. 

Then again after seeing the trailer I'm not so sure. 

godf said:

It's so heavily edited, it's beyond propaganda. He didn't ever speak to some of the people he's shown interviewing: they just spliced conversations together (that's certainly what happened with dawkins).

You know this how...?

Either way, if a paper on intellegent design is actually well written and has research to back it up it should be published somewhere.  I've seen less well written propaganda research studies published in journals on a weekly basis.

That's the brilliant part of journals though.  They are supposed to offer different viewpoints.  You let the guy you disagree with publish a study, then you redo the study to get a different outcome to prove him wrong... and if you get the same results, you simply point a flaw in the methodology.  Or do it the other way around... either way.

He does have a point that lately a lot of less popular scienfitic theories do seem to not get their fair share of publication due to the fact that money and poltics have pretty much infested everything sceintific.

Though a side effect to this is also where people will continue knowingly flawed or intentionally biased studies for monetary gain.

So whether intellegent design follows the first path or the second... who can say. (i'd guess the second) though most second path research studies do find their way published in journals so they can properly have their day in court, even if their intentions are less then honorable.

Stein is a smart man, though I find his political and religious views are pretty far from mine. 

But one major issue I took from that trailer was the following line.

" The article (the one that promoted creationism) would not have been an issue if we were living in the time of Galileo or Einstein, but we live in a different era, an era of darwin and in such an era those who challange the status quo seldom go unpunished"

Does he really want to use Galileo as an example of a more understanding time!? A man who was sentenced to house arrest for advocating that the Earth revolved around the Sun? His book was banned and he was ordered to abjure his ideas.  If the movie is going to do things like compare Galileo's legal persecution by an all powerful church favourably to Dr. Sternberg's falling out with the scientific community for promoting ideas with little to know basis in the scientific process... Then I'm inclined to think the movie might make some other dramatic missteps in logic and bias.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

That trailer was even worse than anther one I'd seen.

The idea that the theory evolution shows we were created by 'dumb luck' just highlights the massive ignorace of these creationists. No wonder their ideas are so readily dismissed, and they find it difficult to hold down a job. I'd have thought historians who refused to accept the existence of the the Roman Empire whould find it hard to get tenure too.

Kasz216 said:
godf said:

You know this how...?

Either way, if a paper on intellegent design is actually well written and has research to back it up it should be published somewhere.  I've seen less well written propaganda research studies published in journals on a weekly basis.

That's the brilliant part of journals though.  They are supposed to offer different viewpoints.  You let the guy you disagree with publish a study, then you redo the study to get a different outcome to prove him wrong... and if you get the same results, you simply point a flaw in the methodology.  Or do it the other way around... either way.

He does have a point that lately a lot of less popular scienfitic theories do seem to not get their fair share of publication due to the fact that money and poltics have pretty much infested everything sceintific.

Though a side effect to this is also where people will continue knowingly flawed or intentionally biased studies for monetary gain.

So whether intellegent design follows the first path or the second... who can say. (i'd guess the second) though most second path research studies do find their way published in journals so they can properly have their day in court, even if their intentions are less then honorable.

I've read a few articles about the film.  The film makers have been open about it too.

I don't see how any paper could put foreward ID in the manner you require.  The evidence isn't there to back it up.  That's why it's treated with the disdain it is.  Maybe evidence will one day come to light to support ID, but it's not there now, and that doesn't seem to trouble its current proponents.