By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Who should play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the New Marvel movies?

Who should play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the New Marvel movies?

Tobey Maguire (Original S... 50 30.86%

Andrew Garfield (The Amaz... 48 29.63%

Another Actor (Who?) 53 32.72%

See Results. 11 6.79%

Total:162
axumblade said:
JWeinCom said:
axumblade said:
If its Miles Morales I would love to see Donald Glover in the role. If its Peter Parker...I liked Andrew Garfield but if they insist he is done with the role, I think I heard Logan Lehrman was in the running. He's a good actor but perhaps I just want him in it cause I thinks he's cute. X.x as long as its not Maguire then I'll be happy.

At first I got confused and thought of Danny Glover.  I thought it was a crazy suggestion.

At any rate, they should not go with Miles Morales.  Not that I have anything against Miles, but they need the original Spider-man in the cinematic univeverse.  Once he's established it may be interesting to get Miles in there, but there's no way that they can have the Marvel Cinematic universe without arguably their most popular character represented. 

I actually wouldn't mind McGuire being used depending on what Spider-man they chose to use.  If they wanted to go with the youthful Spider-man, obviously not.  But, if they wanted to use Spider-man as the seasoned veteran/occasional mentor figure that he's become, then I think Tobey could be used for that role.

Haha! I would love to see Danny Glover as Spiderman. :D

I found Maguire as Spiderman to be kind of boring. He also seemed like he was ready to quit with the series after 3. 

Honestly, I'm not sure what route they should take with him. On one hand, rumor is they are going for a younger actor. On the other hand, he is supposedly going to be in Civil War. If so, he needs to be an established hero if they are taking the comic book route with his character.

Which is why I think it's best to go with either Maguire or Garfield... an already established Spider-Man ready to jump in the fray of the Civil War Story Arc... I seriously think we are gearing towards a colossal Eff up... :-/

Around the Network
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
Dusk said:

Toby was fine when he was younger but he still wasn't great. Garfield is crap... Give someone else a try. Can't be someone too tall or large in stature since Pete isn't, must be, or at least has the potential to be, athletic but nerdy but not to any extreme, also a smart ass (something that both Toby and Garfield had issues with). For much of that criteria I would say something like Kevin Hart lol. He's probably a bit too small but he seems to fit pretty much everything else. 

The issue I have with a new actor is how are they going to explain him for Captain America: Civil War when it comes out? they totally have to explain who Spider Man is and why he is so important to the story... that's why I'm against a new actor... but we'll see how this plays out...

It's extremely likely that it's going to be a different actor because it's now a different franchise. It's like how there are two different quick silvers, one in the Avengers univers (Marvel/Disney) and X-Men (Fox studios I think?). Same sort of idea. There is no reason to bring back one of the priors unless that actor is willing to do it for little or they feel that they did the character justice. In many ways it might be nice to have a new take on the character because neither were perfect. Luckily they don't need a full back story for Spidey because he is so well known now, but they will have to give an introduction for the character so then it wouldn't make sense to have one of the priors do it is as they have already done it for the most part. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
V-r0cK said:

lol thanks =)

Agreed, Electro didn't really need to be in that movie.  

Just thinking about Electro, and not to sound hateful or racist, but I dont understand why the need to changing certain characters to be black/african american.  Nick Fury, Kingpin, Electro, Human Torch etc..  Does America feel more patriotic if they changed one character into a black person? However, the unspoken "rule" is that the character must not be the main protagonist (because caucasians need to stay as the main focus?) and the only option of choice for different nationality is african american.  These characters have been fully created decades ago that nobdoy should have to considered changing their nationality.  What's next? a black Santa Claus?  I'd love to see Captain America to be of middle eastern decent for the irony lol. But not likely because of the "rule". 

It's funny that ppl on this site feel Electro shouldn't have been in the movie and should have been just the Goblin... I feel the direct opposite. Mainly because we have already seen a Spider Man movie with the Green Goblin in it, and yet to see one with Electro. Plus, from an Acting perspective, Jamie Foxx was the bright spot in this movie... He played the Honest working Geek everyone takes advantage of to the OP Diabolical Super Cool Villian to a T. Plus as Electro he was super sinister looking. I would have totally loved to see a movie dedicated to him as the only villain.

As it comes to race... I didn't have any problem with Electro being Black. Race has nothing to do with his character, so it plays a non factor to me. As Spider Man however, that's where I have a problem. I guess it's because: 1) I REALLY identified with Spidey since I was a child and he's always been white since and 2) Since I am from the area his stories were based and written from, a Caucasian lower middle class living in the suburbs struggling to pay the bills seems so much more factual then being from another race. That's including Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian... whatever (and I am a Hispanic-American here)!

But obviously this doesn't apply to Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider Man).

It's not really Electro's fault, but the comic book arc that I referred to in my earlier post is just so much more important. Basically there are two character defining moments in the Spider-Man comics: #1 Ben's death & #2 Gwen's death.

teigaga said:
Ugh, on mobile so quoting is a mess@V-r0ckI think you overstate the relevance of race. A lot of these characters have various different interpretations and generally the iconic features are behavioural characteristics, attire and physical build. Not so much the colour of their skin or facial features. Sone characters iconography definitely exists in their race like Superman or Thor (normally main characters), but plenty of others aren't so specific. The only time i think race should come into it is when the characters image is so specific/iconic you wouldn't dare change the colour of their hair, let alone their skin. Jonny storm, electro and Kingpin aren't that cemented it their depictions in my opinion.Funnily enough no one seemed to care that Jessica Alba was mixed race, but i guess the blond hair and white-ish appearance was enough for her to play Sue :p

Jonny Storm is white LIKE his sister. If both were black, many of us comics fans would have little issue. The bolded bit in reference to Human Torch is laughable btw.

Imagine the outright uproad if Bishop was white, his ethnicity has nothing to do with his character, his character is befined by the mutant oppression he suffered and how he came through it. Yet changing from black to white would be a big no no. Why is it okay to change Jonny Storm to black and for us comic fans who complaint to be called racist because of it?

Changing 1 of the 2 Storm kids makes the family dynamic completely different, whether you think it won't or not. 

Hmm, pie.

Michael Cera could scrape into the age range (can't believe he's a year younger than me, damn); he's got the geekiness, he's got stunt/comic adaptation from Scott Pilgrim, he's (maybe) enough of a name to lead the film, and I reckon he'd be able to deliver the snark.

Chris Mint-Plasse would be another option (he's younger than me too? godammnit). Snarkier than Michael Cera, but less nerdy.

Around the Network

Milo Ventimiglia though he may look too old now

The Fury said:
teigaga said:
Ugh, on mobile so quoting is a mess@V-r0ckI think you overstate the relevance of race. A lot of these characters have various different interpretations and generally the iconic features are behavioural characteristics, attire and physical build. Not so much the colour of their skin or facial features. Sone characters iconography definitely exists in their race like Superman or Thor (normally main characters), but plenty of others aren't so specific. The only time i think race should come into it is when the characters image is so specific/iconic you wouldn't dare change the colour of their hair, let alone their skin. Jonny storm, electro and Kingpin aren't that cemented it their depictions in my opinion.Funnily enough no one seemed to care that Jessica Alba was mixed race, but i guess the blond hair and white-ish appearance was enough for her to play Sue :p

Jonny Storm is white LIKE his sister. If both were black, many of us comics fans would have little issue. The bolded bit in reference to Human Torch is laughable btw.

Imagine the outright uproad if Bishop was white, his ethnicity has nothing to do with his character, his character is befined by the mutant oppression he suffered and how he came through it. Yet changing from black to white would be a big no no. Why is it okay to change Jonny Storm to black and for us comic fans who complaint to be called racist because of it?

Changing 1 of the 2 Storm kids makes the family dynamic completely different, whether you think it won't or not. 

Jessica alba and Chris Evans could not be whole siblings in the originaf FF movie. One is half mexican....

Also I'm not saying the sibling dynamics isn't changed (highly doubt anyone cares- the story isn't going to focus on growing up with an adopted sibling). Many things are changed in adaptions but thats clearly not focus of peoples annoyance. Johnny storm has always been blond in the comics and no ones seems to care when he isn't or when they gave him a buzz cut, again there are iconic cemented depiction of characters which people wouldn't dare change (superman), and then there is the likes of johnny storm.

And yes there is obviously a double standards and its not hard to grasp why. There are so few reknown black comic book characters that the likes of Blade, Storm and Bishop are highly beloved for the fact that they there are different and represent a minority. 

P.S: No one here is calling anyone racist lol

teigaga said:

Jessica alba and Chris Evans could not be whole siblings in the originaf FF movie. One is half mexican....

Also I'm not saying the sibling dynamics isn't changed (highly doubt anyone cares- the story isn't going to focus on growing up with an adopted sibling). Many things are changed in adaptions but thats clearly not focus of peoples annoyance. Johnny storm has always been blond in the comics and no ones seems to care when he isn't or when they gave him a buzz cut, again there are iconic cemented depiction of characters which people wouldn't dare change (superman), and then there is the likes of johnny storm.

And yes there is obviously a double standards and its not hard to grasp why. There are so few reknown black comic book characters that the likes of Blade, Storm and Bishop are highly beloved for the fact that they there are different and represent a minority. 

P.S: No one here is calling anyone racist lol

EDIT: You know what, nevermind. 

Summary of my post, A Black Panther film would be fantastic.

Hmm, pie.

I prefer Toby Mcguire. The first two movies I think fit perfect with the universe. Then they went crazy for some reason....

Dylan O'Brien please. He was good in Mazerunner. Miles Morales isn't an option - no one knows or cares about him.