By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4K Photos make their way to PS4!

Sweet update. #4THEPHOTOGRAPHERS

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
dane007 said:

Um  the one for the xbox oen doesn't require to open the xbox one. Its USB external hdd where you just plug it in and it works. If they went out of the way to give su that , then why didn't they go fro the 3.5 internal HDD not the more expensive 2.5. Afterall they ar efor the gamers and all about gaming according to their slogan. 1TB is tiny and i can get 3tb for the same one. Currently i have a 3tb external hdd for my xbox one and a 3th for my WII u. IF you buy the 1tb replacement, you will end up reinstalling your games stored on the cloud, That will again eat up  half of hdd and you will stuck  again in data management. I prefer external hdd support because you don't have to reinstall everything and  it won't consume the space of yoru hdd. If you  buy a 3tb external HDD , you get 2.99 of free space purely for new games .

I have only 500GB and do not plan to upgrade unless they ad external HDD support but if push comes to shove I will uninstall a game I don’t play much seeing as when I do decide to play it again installation only takes a minute.  

Its a hassle to have reinstall everything that you  unistalled when you decide to delete it to make some space. Much like it was more convenient to have 1 blu ray disk then multiple dvds which the 360 has. I play alot of games hence my huge collection so having to do that its incovneiant.

kitler53 said:
dane007 said:
KBG29 said:

With update 1.50, PS4's PlayMemories app now supports 4K output. Just head over to settings and check the box Enable 4K Output. 

Source: Not available, check your PS4, it is there, but it seems no announcement or articles have been written yet.

Wait what? So sony , has implemented 4k output support where 4ktv attach rate is very small, yet teh most important update of being able to use standard external hard drive which si required fo rgaming, is yet to be implemented. How does that work? What can you do with this update if your tv doesn't support native resolution of 4k

most important to who?  i have ps+ and buy all my game (even the big ones like TLoU:R, Destiny, killzone) digitally.  i still have just under 1/2 my drive left.

i'm sure external drives will come but i'm far happier to have features like shareplay, the revisions to the library, themes, spotify with background audio play, digital preloading, and playgo.

besides,. even if i could have an external i probably wouldn't use it.  i don't want that ugly dangeling off taking up a valuable usb slot especially sony's done such a great job at digital content management on ps4.  i'll just delete games i've played though to completion.

Most important for gamers. Afterall shu did they ps4 was all about games and only for games hence why the media related stuff is coming out later. Even their slogan says " for the gamer" . Thats ironic considering external HDD is important for gamers when the HDD is small and its 2015 si the support should be given by now. We are not in early 2000s when 500gb was way to much lol. If you have 15 physical games and all the indies you get from sony , then that 500gb is nothing. Knowing sony they won't. Just look at psvita .

It still uses their expensive memory cards rather then micro sd cards which are cheaper. Same with ps4, the 2.5 internal HDD are more expensive then the USB ones. If you have a cupboard , you arrange in a way that you won't see it dangeling and it wouldn't be dangeling. I have two 3tb, one for XO and one for WII U and it looks great on a black cupboard.  Deleting games and reinstalling is is an inconevniance especially if you have alot of games. It not logical to keep doing that every time you decide you want to play your old games.

People have forgotten the time where it blu ray vs dvd and how it was very good to have blu ray support as it was more conveniant and it 2014 so it was mandatory to have it.  The things you listed are all media stuff. Non is gaming, so its kinda ironic how they are supporting more media stuff then gaming features that benefits gamers more. 

dane007 said:
KBG29 said:

Not sure how extrenal HDD support relates to this?

As for what this does for those without 4K? Nothing.

As someone who is planning to purchase a 4K TV for the living room and bedroom this year, this is very good news. I am hoping that we will also see 4K unlocked for Playstation Video later this month. These were promises Sony made months before the PS4 launched, and I for one, am very happy to see at least part of the promise finally arrive.

This relates as support for external hdd is jsut a pacth much like the support 4 k.  Don't see why sony chooses to not add it and ignore it completely , yet adds support for something thats not going to be relevant for many years. I would have thought since ps4 is all about gaming, external HDD support would be top priority . Its 2015, no external hdd support is embarassing right?  Still waiting for that external hdd as i do not want buy the super expensive hdd that fits for the ps4. In nz the difference is huge as i an get 3tb for teh prce of 1tb hdd that fits in the ps4 and 1tb is the biggest size XD and its not helping since order 1886 is 11 days away!. 

If I am not mistaken, the PS4 only has USB 2.0... so an external drive would be pointless (too slow)...

Now stop derailling the thread and get an internal HDD, it's better anyway... or learn how to manage your games collection, install times are pretty low, so re-installing an old game is usually not a problem...

Would it be preferable to have the option... yes, sure... choice is great, but if I had to choose between swappable internal HDD and external HDD support... I'd pick the swappable drive any day of the week,

alabtrosMyster said:
dane007 said:

This relates as support for external hdd is jsut a pacth much like the support 4 k.  Don't see why sony chooses to not add it and ignore it completely , yet adds support for something thats not going to be relevant for many years. I would have thought since ps4 is all about gaming, external HDD support would be top priority . Its 2015, no external hdd support is embarassing right?  Still waiting for that external hdd as i do not want buy the super expensive hdd that fits for the ps4. In nz the difference is huge as i an get 3tb for teh prce of 1tb hdd that fits in the ps4 and 1tb is the biggest size XD and its not helping since order 1886 is 11 days away!. 

If I am not mistaken, the PS4 only has USB 2.0... so an external drive would be pointless (too slow)...

Now stop derailling the thread and get an internal HDD, it's better anyway... or learn how to manage your games collection, install times are pretty low, so re-installing an old game is usually not a problem...

Would it be preferable to have the option... yes, sure... choice is great, but if I had to choose between swappable internal HDD and external HDD support... I'd pick the swappable drive any day of the week,

Actually ps4 has usb 3.0 therefore it can support external HDD. Just needs a ptach.  If sony wanted swappable harddrives , then why didn't sony go for teh standard ones that everyoen uses when building a pc. I wouldn't mind if they went for that , but instead then went for the more expensive 2.5 internal HDD. In Nz the biggest size is 1tb and when you paly your old games, it will be rreinstalled on your new harddrive taking half of the sapce which is unpractical.  What happens down the generation and you  have over 50 to 6 games and we still don't have externall HDD support?  Are you jut don't to spend time delteing , reinstllin one or more of  those 50 games that you have in your collection?  Thats not what you called management. I never sell my games , i collect them so by the end of this generation of consoles, i woudl have alot of games , therefore the use of internal HDD won't be practical. 

Around the Network
dane007 said:
kitler53 said:

most important to who?  i have ps+ and buy all my game (even the big ones like TLoU:R, Destiny, killzone) digitally.  i still have just under 1/2 my drive left.

i'm sure external drives will come but i'm far happier to have features like shareplay, the revisions to the library, themes, spotify with background audio play, digital preloading, and playgo.

besides,. even if i could have an external i probably wouldn't use it.  i don't want that ugly dangeling off taking up a valuable usb slot especially sony's done such a great job at digital content management on ps4.  i'll just delete games i've played though to completion.

Most important for gamers. Afterall shu did they ps4 was all about games and only for games hence why the media related stuff is coming out later. Even their slogan says " for the gamer" . Thats ironic considering external HDD is important for gamers when the HDD is small and its 2015 si the support should be given by now. We are not in early 2000s when 500gb was way to much lol. If you have 15 physical games and all the indies you get from sony , then that 500gb is nothing. Knowing sony they won't. Just look at psvita .

It still uses their expensive memory cards rather then micro sd cards which are cheaper. Same with ps4, the 2.5 internal HDD are more expensive then the USB ones. If you have a cupboard , you arrange in a way that you won't see it dangeling and it wouldn't be dangeling. I have two 3tb, one for XO and one for WII U and it looks great on a black cupboard.  Deleting games and reinstalling is is an inconevniance especially if you have alot of games. It not logical to keep doing that every time you decide you want to play your old games.

People have forgotten the time where it blu ray vs dvd and how it was very good to have blu ray support as it was more conveniant and it 2014 so it was mandatory to have it.  The things you listed are all media stuff. Non is gaming, so its kinda ironic how they are supporting more media stuff then gaming features that benefits gamers more. 

i am a damned hardcore gamer.   i have ps+ and a good 10 full AAA on my harddrive right now and have zero need for an external.  i had the ability to upgrade my HDD from day 1.  i decided not to because sony made it soo ridicolously easy to delete and reinstall this gen with features like playgo where i can play games as they download.

you are only deeping my case that gamers today are massively whiny.

buy this and for the love of god stop derailing this thread with unrelated complaints to sony providing a new 4k photo feature.

This new really doesn't change anything.

kitler53 said:
dane007 said:
kitler53 said:

i am a damned hardcore gamer.   i have ps+ and a good 10 full AAA on my harddrive right now and have zero need for an external.  i had the ability to upgrade my HDD from day 1.  i decided not to because sony made it soo ridicolously easy to delete and reinstall this gen with features like playgo where i can play games as they download.

buy this and for the love of god stop derailing this thread with unrelated complaints to sony providing a new 4k photo feature.

I have close to 30 physical games and tonnes of free indies os the 500gb ain't going ot cut it and the highest i can go is a 1tb internal which is expensive and way to small. I don't like having to micro manage everytime i  want to paly one of my old games. its a waste of time. My question to you, why couldn't they use a standard pc inernal drive if they want peoiple to swap it? What whiny? If you promote the ps4   as  a pure gaming machine and for the gamers, then  ahardcore gamer would expect a support of external hdd while having internal hdd to swap as a choice or at least have the ps4 have a built in standard pc hardrive which is cheaper then the oen ps4 is using. Asking for very game to 1080p 60fps is def whiny much more that anything esle

I am actually waiting for that , however by that time , order , bloodbourne and other awesome gaems would be out  lol. Even an upgrade to 1tb won't be enough lol.

dane007 said:
kitler53 said:

I have close to 30 physical games and tonnes of free indies os the 500gb ain't going ot cut it and the highest i can go is a 1tb internal which is expensive and way to small. I don't like having to micro manage everytime i  want to paly one of my old games. its a waste of time. My question to you, why couldn't they use a standard pc inernal drive if they want peoiple to swap it? What whiny? If you promote the ps4   as  a pure gaming machine and for the gamers, then  ahardcore gamer would expect a support of external hdd while having internal hdd to swap as a choice or at least have the ps4 have a built in standard pc hardrive which is cheaper then the oen ps4 is using. Asking for very game to 1080p 60fps is def whiny much more that anything esle

I am actually waiting for that , however by that time , order , bloodbourne and other awesome gaems would be out  lol. Even an upgrade to 1tb won't be enough lol.

There are 2 TB drives available (2.5", 9.5mm, 5400 RPM):

http://www.newegg.com/

DM235 said:
dane007 said:

There are 2 TB drives available (2.5", 9.5mm, 5400 RPM):

http://www.newegg.com/

You guys are lucky as i am based in nz , so my biggest size is 1tb lol. Thats quite slow for a harddrive. Isn't there a faster one thats not an SSD?