By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Splatoon being rushed?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the translation of the whole thing not complete?

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

I find people bummed over just one mode being potentially available funny since COD is literally 75%-90% Team Deathmatch. A game could survive with one mode if it is successful enough with that mode. Not defending the choice if that is what they do as more modes is always better, but just making a point it doesn't make the game garbage.

Shortiloe said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Due to recent news it may seem so. So far Splatoon lacks features that are common for online shooter at this point of the gaming world. 

These include:

1. No voice chat in random online matches

2. No bots available in 4 vs 4 matches

3. No online modes other than the one 4 vs 4 match in random online matches*

*We have no info about online matches with friends yet

Compared to other FPS and TPS with online modes made by well known developers, this is pretty barebone. Or are we asking too much from Nintendo? Have we taken for granted that other FPS and TPS offer much more options? 

Splatoon is planned to release this May. Will Nintendo have time to revise and add more features? Or will they stick to what they have?

1vs1 were already confirmed in the last Direct (or daily Screenshots, one of them). Also, focusing on 4vs4 doesn't mean there are no other modes. Translations are not 100%.

Smash bros has also no Voice chat. Does that mean it was rushed?

Read the opening post again. Most if not all online shooters at this age have voice chat for randon online matches. Splatoon, being a shooter that also offers online and was first marketed at E3 booths with its online multiplayer, is being bought for its online multiplayer. To lack features that other games in its genre has at this time of the gaming industry could mean its rushed.

@Bold: Smash Bros isn't an online shooter.

The options do seem pretty barebones, but given that it's Nintendo, I doubt it's rushed. I think it's more likely that they wanted to limit how much they invested in an unproven ip. Hopefully it will have some decent dlc if the game is popular enough.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Paatar said:

At least it would be new. I'd buy CoD if they shot flowers instead of bullets.

I'm assuming you bought advanced warfare because the guns shot lasers for the first time and that's something new.  So how do you like advanced warfare?

No, I didn't. I don't own any CoDs. I have played them when at friends houses, but never owned any.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
chapset said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
chapset said:
1 mode? 4v4? no team speak? and I'm willing to bet you can't even drop in, in a game already in progress. R.I.P

Why would you want to drop in on a game already in progress?

think the opposite, you are playing a 4v4 game, one guy quit, wouldn't you want this guy to be replaced with an other player or do you rather play 3v4, I know this used to be a major problem in online games like Halo back in 2006

What Nintendo often does with these games, at least for random matchups, is discreetly replaces the missing player with a bot. You get maybe 10, 20 seconds of lag, then suddenly one of the players runs very differently (painfully obvious in Smash, harder to spot in Mario Kart, since Kart's easier on lag). So they say "no bots", but that really means "matches will not start with bots."

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

padib said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Destiny was suppose to have a story mode intergrated with online multiplayer. The developers and Activision teased it, only to have the story end in a cliff hanger that is continued with the games' dlc. Watch Angry Joe's review of Destiny to learn more about it and what the consumers were expecting from Activision's trailers and teasers for the game. 

Nintendo isn't marketing Splatoon as large as Destiny but they are positioning it as their next big multiplayer game like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. They showed extensive footage of multiplayer at E3 last June and Apex last month. They even have a release date that's similar to Mario Kart 8. However, unlike Mario Kart and Smash Bros, Splatoon is an online shooter/TPS game which is a genre Nintendo does not lead in. Nintendo has the best selling Kart racing and fighting game to this date but Splatoon is their first TPS online multiplayer game. Restricting it to only have one mode for random online is naive and lazy when there are other online shooters/TPS that offer significantly more modes. Keeping those modes in DLC when it is expected to be there at launch is equally lazy and naive.

As we explained earlier, it would be naive if those modes did not split the playerbase. There is a fundamental reason for this design choice and you're just ignoring it rather than addressing it.

It wouldn't split the userbase if all matches aren't forced to 4 versus 4. Why not allow 3 vs 3 or lower if its too difficult to find 8 players for 4 vs 4? And why not include bots in 4 versus 4?

padib said:
chapset said:
padib said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Personally, I've never played a game that allows that other than Planetside, which is an MMO-type experience.

Lol try play any major fps games released since 2006

The last COD game I played only allowed you to join an existing team between two matchups. That was Black Ops.

I don't think this ruined my enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

Most majore fps games today are also not cartoony. Nintendo need not do what others do it's not make or break, those are features. And many very popular games today don't allow jumping in mid-game, a great example is league of Legends.

And every day if you go in the leugue reddit you will see people complain about it and players actually get punished if they quit to many games. If you like paying full price for a game with limited features more power to you but seing those news I think you'll be enjoying long queue times and a lot of uneven games.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

padib said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Read the opening post again. Most if not all online shooters at this age have voice chat for randon online matches. Splatoon, being a shooter that also offers online and was first marketed at E3 booths with its online multiplayer, is being bought for its online multiplayer. To lack features that other games in its genre has at this time of the gaming industry could mean its rushed.

@Bold: Smash Bros isn't an online shooter.

Smash also allows for team matches online, where communication has largely the same considerations.

But Smash isn't being bought primarily for its online multiplayer. Splatoon is and this is evident in how the demos at E3 and at Apex last month consists of nothing but online multiplayer.

padib said:
chapset said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
chapset said:
1 mode? 4v4? no team speak? and I'm willing to bet you can't even drop in, in a game already in progress. R.I.P

think the opposite, you are playing a 4v4 game, one guy quit, wouldn't you want this guy to be replaced with an other player or do you rather play 3v4, I know this used to be a major problem in online games like Halo back in 2006

It's not an issue in League, why should it be an issue here?

It's not even the same type of games, and people bitch and moan everyday on reddit about that, there's a reason why you get a surrender button at 20 min and you can get banned for leaving to many games.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.