By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

SjOne said:
peterpan said:

ps3 definitely not
xb360 probably not

the ps4 is just to good in value and much closer in price to ps3 compared to xb360 value and price to xb1
the ps3 will be the fist playsation console with no legs. and even third world countries could not change that. the ps4 is already selling like gangbusters in asia and south amerika. so whats left? afrika? i doubt it. the guys who can afford a console, will buy a ps4. the guys who don't will buy mobile phones 

You think the 360 will sell better in its later years than PS3 when it loses to it on a weekly basis all year round? Sure it gets nice holiday bumps, but not enough to pull it in the lead. PS3 has far better legs in the global market than 360.

It's not doing as well as its predeccessors, but I call selling 5+ million units and counting after its successor released as having legs. Not to mention it still routinely the top platform when it comes to software sales on a weekly basis.

u go by vgc numbers, that are probably way off and wrong
as i said

the x360 sold either more than ps3 in 2014, or the xb1 is doing much better, than many think/predict/want to acknowledge
ps3 is down 65% in 2014
if 360 is down 65%, too that would result in just 2.5m xb360 for the full year (0.8m was the fist quarter figure)
and that would result in 9,6m xb1 sales in 2014, or 13,5m ltd

if the xb360 sold 100k units more than the ps3 in 2014 (despite being way behind in 2013), we would get 11,7m xb1 ltd

so yes, i think the xb360 will sell slightly better in it's last years

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
peterpan said:
kowenicki said:
Like xbox, total Playstation shipments are down YOY (even leaving out handhelds). Unsurprising given the launch year last year (something people decided to ignore when they commented in the MS financials)

Vita is def their last handheld. (or it should be)

ps shipments cy13q4:
i expect sony to be down yoy next quarter, too. they don't have the japan launch and supply issues in the holiday quarter, that kept demand up
ms could be either way, but probably down, too.

Yeah.

I agree and 1.4m is quite a lot in the supply channel though (19.9 - 18.5).  So PS4 shipments may not be THAT high next quarter and PS3 is dying fast.

Xbox will be down too as 360 diminishes and ONE slows.

4.5m shipped end of December 2013
4.2m sold through as of 28th December 2013 
7.5m shipped end of March 2014
7m sold through as of 6th April 2014
10.2m shipped end of June 2014
10m sold through as of 10th August 2014
13.5m shipped end of September 2014
19.9m shipped end of December 2013
18.5m sold through as of 4th January 2014

to be continued...

The best news is Sony is now forecasting a positive operating income for the full year. So even though it will still make an accounting loss for the FY it will actually be cashflow positive rather than cashflow negative. This puts them on a more positive footing from the perspective of being able to invest in the future.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

peterpan said:
SjOne said:

You think the 360 will sell better in its later years than PS3 when it loses to it on a weekly basis all year round? Sure it gets nice holiday bumps, but not enough to pull it in the lead. PS3 has far better legs in the global market than 360.

It's not doing as well as its predeccessors, but I call selling 5+ million units and counting after its successor released as having legs. Not to mention it still routinely the top platform when it comes to software sales on a weekly basis.

as i said

the x360 sold either more than ps3 in 2014, or the xb1 is doing much better, than many think/predict/want to acknowledge
ps3 is down 65% in 2014
if 360 is down 65%, too that would result in just 2.5m xb360 for the full year (0.8m was the fist quarter figure)

if the xb360 sold 100k units more than the ps3 in 2014 (despite being way behind in 2013), we would get 11,7m xb1 ltd

I thought the consensus was that Xb one is more likely to be at 11.9M shipped at the end of 2014. If VGC numbers are roughly accurate for Xb one sell through that puts Xb one at under 1 million in the retail channel at that point in time, which is a fairly believable state of play.

PS3 is due a price cut, especially when PS4 gets a cut in order to maintain a decent gap in price. That should bump sales a wee bit, or rather slow down the rate of decrease.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Good PS4 numbers. Congrats to Sony.

Around the Network

Why did they combine PSP and PSVita?

Sooooo How much PSVita sold?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

binary solo said:
peterpan said:
SjOne said:

as i said

ps3 is down 65% in 2014

I thought the consensus was that Xb one is more likely to be at 11.9M shipped at the end of 2014. If VGC numbers are roughly accurate for Xb one sell through that puts Xb one at under 1 million in the retail channel at that point in time, which is a fairly believable state of play.

PS3 is due a price cut, especially when PS4 gets a cut in order to maintain a decent gap in price. That should bump sales a wee bit, or rather slow down the rate of decrease.

11.9 is fairly in range ofc. 

that would put the x360 sales for 2014 at 3.3m just 100k behind the ps3 and only a 53% drop compared to 65% for the ps3
right now i have zero clue, if the xb360 is still selling great, or the xb1 is doing much better than suspected

btw. the updated sony forecast ist 17.5m playstation consoles for fy2014.  
They are at 15.1m with one quarter left

2.4m ps consoles to reach the goal. that would be down 35% yoy
i can see them hit ~18m

The question is what did they sell?

Jranation said:
Why did they combine PSP and PSVita?

Sooooo How much PSVita sold?

psp is discontinued in japan and the us
so only in europe (and maybe rest of world?)

the psp numbers are low 
but that 1.4m is vita + playsation tv ofc and already down 30% yoy form 2m last year holiday quarter

Azzanation said:
The question is what did they sell?

we know that!?

18.5m as of 4th january 2015

peterpan said:
binary solo said:
peterpan said:
SjOne said:

as i said

ps3 is down 65% in 2014

11.9 is fairly in range ofc. 

that would put the x360 sales for 2014 at 3.3m just 100k behind the ps3 and only a 53% drop compared to 65% for the ps3
right now i have zero clue, if the xb360 is still selling great, or the xb1 is doing much better than suspected

btw. the updated sony forecast ist 17.5m playstation consoles for fy2014.  
They are at 15.1m with one quarter left

2.4m ps consoles to reach the goal. that would be down 35% yoy
i can see them hit ~18m

Both last gen consoles will be doing well to hit 2 million in 2015. After that, who knows? MS and Sony might attempt to flog one more year out of those dead horses, but I don't see them lingering longer than that. 11 years for 360 would be amazing. 10 years for PS3 would be Sony making sure it achieves its 10 year plan intention they announced way back when, when a large segment of the pundits and gamers laughed at the notion of PS3 still being around 10 years hence. Either way 100 million is well out of reach for both.

Jimi Hendrix