By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

Gilgamesh said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony is not making very much profit off each PS4.

If they profited $230 million in gaming, and you factor in the profit from PSVita/PS3/PS4 and other stuff (online) it's really not that much. Let's say it was only the PS4 that they were selling and it did 6.4 million, that's only about a $36 profit off each PS4, yet surely by now they're making a decent profit off the PS3. So if your now counting everything else gaming that profit number has to be really low. 

Either they're not profiting much or a good chunk of they're money is going somewhere in gaming, maybe making game, R&D??

Id say they are investing a lot in r&d,  advertising plus game development 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Kowenicki makes another killing. Analysts and markets are so dumb sometimes. Who didnt see this coming?

Id say they were all buying sony's stock while telling everyone to stay away :p

Great news! About the same profit as Nintendo for the gaming division. Nice to see gaming companies turning around.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Good for SONY, they just need keep this and they will return back to normal

kowenicki said:
Kowenicki makes another killing. Analysts and markets are so dumb sometimes. Who didnt see this coming?

That word gets used too freely probably that why.

Around the Network

Good to hear some positive news coming from Sony's financials.

Gilgamesh said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony is not making very much profit off each PS4.

If they profited $230 million in gaming, and you factor in the profit from PSVita/PS3/PS4 and other stuff (online) it's really not that much. Let's say it was only the PS4 that they were selling and it did 6.4 million, that's only about a $36 profit off each PS4, yet surely by now they're making a decent profit off the PS3. So if your now counting everything else gaming that profit number has to be really low. 

Either they're not profiting much or a good chunk of they're money is going somewhere in gaming, maybe making game, R&D??

I am guessing R&D and ramp up costs for Playstation Network, Playstation Now, and Playstation Vue is quite high at the moment. Game development is very high, as they have at least 20 games in development internally, and at least a dozen they are funding between 2nd, 3rd and indie.

This is quite typical for Sony. Even in its best times, they have always been a very R&D and Project heavy company. They seem to preffer innovation over profits and buy outs.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL