By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 2008 and beyond, prime years for the Wii

As we move on through this year and on to the next, companies are looking onward and upward. At the rate nintendohas been selling Wii's.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist(especially if you are a publisher/3rd party dev)to see that here shortly companies are going to start to invest solid titles with good graphics and gameplay.It costs them less to make the games for wii, and they reap more benefits. I forresee the wii having exlcusive titles and increasing a library that will rival the 360 soon enough. Simply put, Would you pay 50 bucks to make 90 or would you pay 50 cents and make  a hundred?

Lets hope makers catch on to the wii trend,

Around the Network

yeah devs were stupid but they could just throw us crap like the spidy game because they just wanted to make a buck

Legend11 said:
I think the Wii will get *a lot* of support but one of the things I can see possibly hurting the Wii is that a lot of the pre-made engines such as the Unreal Engine 3 have left the Wii behind. Since engines like the Unreal Engine 3 allows developers to create games for the Xbox 360/PS3/PC simultaneously it becomes a matter of developers possibly choosing to either make a Wii game from the ground up or developing a multi-platform game for three platforms. If the Wii can build up an installed base that is greater than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined (I'm not sure how to count the number of "gaming" PCs to include to that total) and keep ahead then likely it won't be a problem.

I'm not convinced this is a weakness at all - more a strength.

The Wiimote encourages unique titles for the Wii anyway - and the differences with the PS3/360 discourage "pure" cross-platform development (across all three).

So companies will make PS3/360 titles... and they will make Wii titles. Many of the Wii titles will be exclusive - and few (none?) of the PS3/360 titles will be exclusive. This is great news for Nintendo IMO.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

There was always going to be a 'flood' of cheap ports to the Wii when it arrived - sort of inevitiable. But this will change, and Nintendo is leading the way. Once companies see what Nintendo can do with the Wii hardware (Smash, Galaxy, Prime) this perception about it being 'too weak graphically' will go out the window.

I think the Wii *will* dominate next year (again). There will be a lot more quality titles out (enough for all gamers to want a Wii - unlike now), more non-gaming titles (Health, Music) - and no doubt a flood of new titles coming next year as well (along with a potentially lower price, increased manufacturing amounts, etc...).

Any doubts I had about the Wii owning this generation are now pretty much gone. The question is now how much will it own it - and can the PS3 catch up to the 360, and prove it can actually compete with the Wii?

(and while all this is going on, the DS will continue to dominate - I think its just the beginning of that story. DS will continue to pull-back marketshare from the PSP, until I think it ends up in a 3:1 - 4:1 ratio...). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
Legend11 said:
I think the Wii will get *a lot* of support but one of the things I can see possibly hurting the Wii is that a lot of the pre-made engines such as the Unreal Engine 3 have left the Wii behind. Since engines like the Unreal Engine 3 allows developers to create games for the Xbox 360/PS3/PC simultaneously it becomes a matter of developers possibly choosing to either make a Wii game from the ground up or developing a multi-platform game for three platforms. If the Wii can build up an installed base that is greater than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined (I'm not sure how to count the number of "gaming" PCs to include to that total) and keep ahead then likely it won't be a problem.

I'm not convinced this is a weakness at all - more a strength.

The Wiimote encourages unique titles for the Wii anyway - and the differences with the PS3/360 discourage "pure" cross-platform development (across all three).

So companies will make PS3/360 titles... and they will make Wii titles. Many of the Wii titles will be exclusive - and few (none?) of the PS3/360 titles will be exclusive. This is great news for Nintendo IMO.

It would be interesting to see what happens, I know sega is working with or starting to work with the unreal 3, but i read that on a thread here, I believe that developers still can make games from the ground up, some may choose alternate routes but in the end if it is cheaper to start from the ground up on a wii vs using a unreal 3 at a lot more money i think they may choose for the wii, but then again time will tell and trends will tell as well,

Wii brought back innovation

IF   a company would have a plethora of CO-op games, that system would not only sell but would have replay value.

INNOVATION and CO-op...lets face it checkers/chess...board games that started it all had one thing in common...you played with someone other than yourself, and people like games they work together to conquer, sorry bought getting off on a rant and slightly off subject, but thats my view

The Wii may not be able to handle the Unreal 3 engine, but I don't think Unreal 2-spec engines are beyond its capabilities.

Seeing that UT2004 is still a very nice game visually (it's held up quite nicely over the years) I think most Wii owners won't be too displeased with that quality standard.

There will be a lot of PS3/360(/PC) games announced this year, developers still aren't sure just what to make for the Wii yet and will wait to see what of the current offerings will actually sell. PS3/360 are at least known markets.

Actually, IIRC Red Steel used an "Unreal Engine 2.5", and besides a few problems in development, had some very beautiful areas in the game. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

DKII said:
There will be a lot of PS3/360(/PC) games announced this year, developers still aren't sure just what to make for the Wii yet and will wait to see what of the current offerings will actually sell. PS3/360 are at least known markets.

Good way of putting it and good example, I think the developers(last few shows) didnt really think the ds and wii were going to catch on, so I think you are right developers arent quite sure what to make for the wii.

You know they could actually make  a 1st/3rd person shooter and have a different controller play it or  gamecube controller, I know cheesey idea but they arent just limited....by the way , I just thought of soemthing, what has happened to all the companies that make controllers for other systems????

Is someone going to make a better wii controller for a game/gun or more comfortable wii mote??

Ill be honest When I play zelda and use the wiimote to switch screens and use the + and - button as well as the 1 and 2 button, the controller strains my hand, your thumb has a hard timeutilizing the 1 and 2 buttons because  the way it is made your thumb rests slightly over the A button.