By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie Complains against Nintendo Youtube Policy

Ali_16x said:

Wow, are you being serious? That comment just gave me cancer.

Techland/Warner Bros. sent out Dying Light to Youtubers to play their game. It wasn't just Pewdiepie, they sent the video too tons of Youtubers. Youtubers get money from the ad revenue from the video and the publishers get advertisement. It is a win-win situation for both parties. He also doesn't review games, he just plays them. South Park was terrible? Oh right games getting 80+ on metacritic is now terrible. He played the whole game beause he actually enjoyed it. They gave him early access, he promoted his channel and they got advertisement.  

It's the same thing NIntendo is doing? My god, they aren't even close to being the same. Do you even know what the policy change is? You are so uninformed about this policy you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Settle down, no need to be such a cawk now son. No need to use past-their-sell-by-date sayings either.

This is what I'm getting at - http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/19688/20150129/pewdiepie-news-internet-star-paid-for-dying-light-endorsement-techland-s-advert-opens-huge-ethical-can-of-worms.htm

He's not the only Youtuber who's been paid to promote games, EA did it with the Game Grumps and Dead Space 3.

I actually enjoyed The Stick of Truth, I could probably have worded that better. But it was too short and the Trophies were cheap.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Redgrave said:
He's only played two Nintendo games on his channel and they were both ROMs on the Project64 emulator. So basically, he's annoyed at Nintendo for not being able to make money off games he didn't buy?

Entitled Youtubers need to expire.

LOL! 

How dare you.

sc94597 said:
Shinobi-san said:

1. So yeah im struggling to see why a gaming publisher would feel entitled to the ad revenue of a video of a gamer playing their game, which they have already purchased, for reasons other than greed.

2. If this was a matter of principle and IP protection they would have reacted a long time ago, its only because some of these youtubers have gotten really popular that they now want a piece of the pie.

1. They aren't demanding full compensation. There can still be IP damage, and that might be Nintendo's reasoning.  

2. They DID react a long time ago by removing videos that made profit. People disputed this, and now their new policy is to only take a share of the profits. 

If somebody makes a song and has little portions of another song in it, they usually need to credit the original song owner with royalities (unless the other owner says they can do it for free.) Or if somebody has a cartoon character in their cartoon the same is true. 

It's funny, I came into this thread disagreeing with Nintendo, and slowly I am defending them more and more. 

1. Yes well aware of that. I still feel that they are not entitled to any of the revenue.

2. When i say long ago...i mean well before any youtuber was bringing in significant revenue. I can assure that had these youtubers been earning peanuts, Nintendo would not care.

Songs and Movies are different entertainments mediums to games, i think ive exaplined this in my previous post. Also, i know i make this seem like a black and white topic but really theres two sides here...and its a very grey subject. In my opinion though i dont feel its right for gaming publishers to claim revenue from the lets players, but i can understand how others would feel they should.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

shikamaru317 said:

TotalBiscuit detailed why this is bad for Youtubers. Basically, Google takes 50% of your ad revenue right off the bat. Then, if you're a member of an MCN (multi channel network), which a large number of Youtubers are, you lose another 10-40% (30% average). Then Nintendo takes another 60-70%. So, let's say your video of a Nintendo game makes $100 in ad revenue, after everybody else has had a piece of the pie, you get just $21 of that $100 according to TotalBiscuit, compared to $35 for a non-Nintendo game. So yeah, if you're a Youtuber, it's in your best interest to play games from pretty much any other publisher out there besides Nintendo.

So they should be pissed at Youtube for taking 50% of their profit when they are generating trafic and content for them, not at Nintendo. I would love to see all IP holders to make the same and see if these guys could make success with anything else to validate the theory here that the games they show doesn't matter at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shinobi-san said:
sc94597 said:
Shinobi-san said:

1. So yeah im struggling to see why a gaming publisher would feel entitled to the ad revenue of a video of a gamer playing their game, which they have already purchased, for reasons other than greed.

2. If this was a matter of principle and IP protection they would have reacted a long time ago, its only because some of these youtubers have gotten really popular that they now want a piece of the pie.

1. They aren't demanding full compensation. There can still be IP damage, and that might be Nintendo's reasoning.  

2. They DID react a long time ago by removing videos that made profit. People disputed this, and now their new policy is to only take a share of the profits. 

If somebody makes a song and has little portions of another song in it, they usually need to credit the original song owner with royalities (unless the other owner says they can do it for free.) Or if somebody has a cartoon character in their cartoon the same is true. 

It's funny, I came into this thread disagreeing with Nintendo, and slowly I am defending them more and more. 

1. Yes well aware of that. I still feel that they are not entitled to any of the revenue.

2. When i say long ago...i mean well before any youtuber was bringing in significant revenue. I can assure that had these youtubers been earning peanuts, Nintendo would not care.

Songs and Movies are different entertainments mediums to games, i think ive exaplined this in my previous post. Also, i know i make this seem like a black and white topic but really theres two sides here...and its a very grey subject. In my opinion though i dont feel its right for gaming publishers to claim revenue from the lets players, but i can understand how others would feel they should.

2. That is exactly the reason why Nintendo and others should do it... have you ever saw any songmaker or record company trying to pass law or hunt down people who sing and perform on street??? Nope... but if you use someones song in a venue then you have to pay... so if you are using the share function a console offer to exchange experience with your friends none will care, but if you are making good money out of it them you should pay..

Are we all comunists in here to think Nintendo and the other companies aren't allowed the money generated by their IPs?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

I fail to see how this is a Nintendo only issue? I think the whole youtube system is messed up at the moment also.

As an example

Everytime I upload a video which has any music these days i get flagged 3rd party content and I cannot get money from my video. Even though I may have made the video myself and decided to ad a little beat in the background for 30 seconds in one section of a big video.

DonFerrari said:
Shinobi-san said:
sc94597 said:
Shinobi-san said:

2. That is exactly the reason why Nintendo and others should do it... have you ever saw any songmaker or record company trying to pass law or hunt down people who sing and perform on street??? Nope... but if you use someones song in a venue then you have to pay... so if you are using the share function a console offer to exchange experience with your friends none will care, but if you are making good money out of it them you should pay..

Are we all comunists in here to think Nintendo and the other companies aren't allowed the money generated by their IPs?

You cant compare it with singing though because you cant commentate and have the song playing at the same time.

Secondly, music is created with the purpose of the end consumer 'listening' to it, whereas the purpose of video games is to be played.

A fairer comparison would be cars. Every youtuber who reviews their car doesnt pay the manufacturer because they only money they are entitled to is the money they get when they sold the car. Yes the manufacturer may not consider it a large amount to bother, but if they did, they still wouldnt have a chance at getting that money because the video is not their 'content', even though their car is in the video.

Try uploading raw gameplay, youtube wont give you a dime for it because nintendo's raw gameplay is worth nothing. Youtubers get paid ad revenue for original content like commentaries, how to's and other stuff.

Shinobi-san said:
sc94597 said:
Shinobi-san said:

1. Well you might not have done the cost-benefit-risk analysis that Nintendo has done. 

2. Nintendo has ALWAYS been hostile to youtubers who made a profit, since its inception. It just so happen that youtube got more popular over time and Nintendo cracked down harder (and now less.)  

My point was that in both examples an IP is not reproduced fully. It is only partly reproduce. Nintendo games have individual creations within them (cutscenes, songs, characters) and if they feel that they don't like how these creations are being represented or reproduced in a profit-seeking environment, then - yes - they have a right to remove the content. If they feel that these creations are substantial to the success of another person's content, then yes they do have a right to demand a portion (not the whole thing) of revenue. Now I agree with others that this is a bad move on Nintendo's part, but again - I haven't done the same Cost-Benefit-Risk analysis that Nintendo has done. 

fps_d0minat0r said:
DonFerrari said:
Shinobi-san said:

You cant compare it with singing though because you cant commentate and have the song playing at the same time.

Secondly, music is created with the purpose of the end consumer 'listening' to it, whereas the purpose of video games is to be played.

A fairer comparison would be cars. Every youtuber who reviews their car doesnt pay the manufacturer because they only money they are entitled to is the money they get when they sold the car. Yes the manufacturer may not consider it a large amount to bother, but if they did, they still wouldnt have a chance at getting that money because the video is not their 'content', even though their car is in the video.

Try uploading raw gameplay, youtube wont give you a dime for it because nintendo's raw gameplay is worth nothing. Youtubers get paid ad revenue for original content like commentaries, how to's and other stuff.

So now car market is closer to videogame than movies??? That is certainly new for me.

You don't buy a license to use the car, you buy the car. But even so if you use a brand of cars to promote yourself you'll have to pay if the brand onwer demands it. Any movie that have a car on it if they desire to show the name, or brand of it.

Well let's see how good they can do without the games and just their comments on any other subject, shall we?

You must all remember Nintendo can do no wrong.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'