By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie Complains against Nintendo Youtube Policy

I love Nintendo for their games but i hate them for their weird policy. That's why their market is shrinking, and their name isn't big anymore. i have a complicated feeling with this company and in fact most gaming veteran who grew up with Nintendo and turn their loyalty to other company.

Around the Network

It's within their right but it's a stupid move. They should be winning people back not alienating them.

Twilord said:

Yeah, also Gaga and Bieber should also let him put their copyrighted music up to make all the money off of, because it'll totally introduce new listeners.

In fact J.K. Rowling should pay Pewdiepie to read the Harry Potter books on Youtube, because that will totally help them sell, after all reading books and listening to audio books are totally different experiences.

Do we have ANY proof that Lets-Plays increase sales figures? Because I've heard findings that demo's flat out hurt them. Indies don't count because we're a different story.

Surely you can see the issue in comparing gaming to linear forms of entertainment? ^^; If the gaming experience was so easily replicated through simply watching/listening, we'd have seen developers and publishers follow in the footsteps of the movie industry. 

Seeing as that's yet to happen, i'd say it's safe to assume that while the benefits youtubers provide are debatable, the majority of the industry doesn't appear to see it as a threat (and in-fact frequently embraces it).

jclock said:
theprof00 said:
Jclock
youtube is the network and they already take that profit.
Should a garden owner take profits from a youtube video i made wherein i enjoyed the garden?
Ghost hunter shows used hotels and inns for a majority of their content.
these places LOVED when they would come by and "lets play" them.
They have drummers up so much interest for these types of places.

Should these places get a share of advertising revenue?

Uh no, 

Youtube is a platform, and not a network.

Maker, Polaris, Nintendo Creators Program, Machinama, etc are all networks.

You do NOT own the content you are sharing if it's video games or movies. You own a licenses to view/play it. Your example is complete bullshit and just dumb. You are dealing with content owners not garden variety garden lovers.

Ghost Hunters has a ton of legal paperwork that they have to go through in order to use those places. Usually these places get a ton of publicity for those things. Therefore, creates income

I really don't understand the rest of what you said. But if you are sharing someone elses copyrighted work without expressed permission from that person, then they deserve the ad revenue and you do not. If the copyright holder has given you a set guideline for using their content then you will not break that

Under fair use, reviews, commentaries and covers are allowed and Nintendo cant do crap all about them. 

I didn't say anything about Nintendo not having legal right. I said it doesn't make sense for them to do so. Even they know it. The initial call was complete ban of let's plays and streaming. Then it went down to 100% profit taking, now it's down to 40% profit taking.

Of course, Nintendo agrees with everyone who is supporting their argument in this thread right? Because backtracking on your intention is always a sign that you're confident in what you're doing.

If Nintendo really gave zero shits about these content creators, or if they actually thought that there was no beneficial outcome, they would block them entirely. Or maybe, they thought entire blocking was a little harmful, so they switched to 100% profit....and then they found that was undermining as well, and changed again. Seems to me that Nintendo is backing down. But apparently, there is no actual source of pressure because these guys are nobodies, wait wait no, crybabies...right?

dont care about most youtubers. I enjoy playing my games, not watching people playing them. If every penny nintendo gets goes towards star fox, Fzero, metroid or the next Bayo, then by all means take that 40% all you want!!

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

He just doesn't want to pay Nintendo. When he played the original Super Smash Bros, he didn't download it on his Wii U. He downloaded a ROM illegally off the internet. The only Wii U game he has, ZombiU, is far from finished. He just doesn't care about Nintendo.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

menx64 said:
dont care about most youtubers. I enjoy playing my games, not watching people playing them. If every penny nintendo gets goes towards star fox, Fzero, metroid or the next Bayo, then by all means take that 40% all you want!!

even with low sales of Wii U, Nintendo is far more profitable then what most people think, it's not about how this will affecting their buget to make a good games. They can make the games with their current profit they had.

The_Sony_Girl1 said:
He just doesn't want to pay Nintendo. When he played the original Super Smash Bros, he didn't download it on his Wii U. He downloaded a ROM illegally off the internet. The only Wii U game he has, ZombiU, is far from finished. He just doesn't care about Nintendo.

Pewdiepie is just the catalyst for most people who are not agreeing with this policy. maybe the OP mentioned Pewdiepie name but the main focus of the topic is "Nintendo Youtube Policy ". and the controversy

Hmmm, maybe I should have just added this to this thread, lol...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197593&page=1#

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
shikamaru317 said:

Some people posting seem to think that it's just PewDiePie who doesn't like the new policy. It's not just PewDiePie who has spoken out against it, TotalBiscuit, Boogie, Jim Sterling, Inside Gaming, and alot of other Youtubers have spoken out against it as well. Youtubers and Twitch streamers give games free advertising, it has been proven time and again that having Youtubers and twitch streamers play your games increases their sales significantly, perhaps even more so than paid tv advertising does. Nintendo, instead of thanking Youtubers for the free advertising they give their games, is basically being greedy and saying they want a piece of the Youtube money pie. Nintendo is pretty much the only game publisher who is pulling this kind of stuff nowadays, their Youtube policy is archaic.

Alot of people also seem to think that PewDiePie is just being greedy. As far as I know PewDie doesn't even play Nintendo games, and he's a multi-millionaire, this policy doesn't effect him much at all, he's speaking out on behalf of the smaller Youtubers who Nintendo is screwing over with this policy. I dislike PewDie more than most, but I feel like some of you guys are letting your opinion of PewDie color your opinion on this issue.

Why haven't we heard any Nintendo centric channel scream in outrage then? Easy, because they don't care how much they make. And all of those channels barely even cover Nintendo!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!