By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bloodborne | Chalice Dungeons - Explained!

Skullwaker said:
This game looks sweet. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

If you jinxed it I am going to be so angry. *preparing angry face*

Around the Network

IGN will show the first 18 minutes of Bloodborne on monday!!

http://me.ign.com/en/bloodborne-ps4-1/101375/news/the-ign-first-game-for-february-isbloodborne

DerNebel said:

http://me.ign.com/en/bloodborne-ps4-1/101375/news/the-ign-first-game-for-february-isbloodborne

Yeah and they're choosing to show the first 18 minutes of the game. :(

Why not show 18 minutes from somewhere else?

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah and they're choosing to show the first 18 minutes of the game. :(

Why not show 18 minutes from somewhere else?

Ah well it could be worse. I'm sure that Bloodborne won't have a TLOU-like intro

GribbleGrunger said:
kitler53 said:
so i'm still unclear. the dungeons are procedurally generated but locked so that the entire community is playing the same map for a while and then changed after a certain time period?

No, the upper city is where the main game and story take place and that's not procedurally generated. There is another section below the city that's procedurally generated and each player effects the way it's generated. If you leave and then return later, the dungeon will be different.

oh, i was thinking that the chalic dungeons were like a specific zone of the main game.  like if all of dark souls was set but for whatever reason blighttown was proceedurally generated.  

so this is more like an area for pvp maybe?

it's a good idea though.

edit: rewatched the video and i think i get it better.  the community likes talking about the game but once there is nothing new to talk about the discussion dwindles and people leave the game.  because the chalice dungeons are procedurally generated the developers can add new things to this area easily (a patch every so often) so that sense of discovery never entirely goes away.   such awesome!

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:
Okay, for a hack-and-slash kind of game this looks like it could be fun.

It's not a hack-n-slash game. Hack-n-slash is like Bayonetta, God of War, and Devil May Cry. This is a dungeon crawler.

DerNebel said:

Ah well it could be worse. I'm sure that Bloodborne won't have a TLOU-like intro

I'll still end up watching it. I have no will power whatsoever when it comes to things like this.

The PS5 Exists. 

spemanig said:
IFireflyl said:
Okay, for a hack-and-slash kind of game this looks like it could be fun.

It's not a hack-n-slash game. Hack-n-slash is like Bayonetta, God of War, and Devil May Cry. This is a dungeon crawler.

The two are not mutually exclusive. This appears to be a dungeon crawler with hack-and-slash gameplay.

Wikipedia Video Game Genre List (yes, I know Wikipedia is not the end all of information.)

That shows that hack and slash is a genre. Dungeon crawlers aren't a genre. Dungeon crawling is a scenario.

Wikipedia Dungeon Crawl

IFireflyl said:

The two are not mutually exclusive. This appears to be a dungeon crawler with hack-and-slash gameplay.

Wikipedia Video Game Genre List (yes, I know Wikipedia is not the end all of information.)

That shows that hack and slash is a genre. Dungeon crawlers aren't a genre. Dungeon crawling is a scenario.

Wikipedia Dungeon Crawl

That's flat out wrong. It definitely does not have hack-n-slash gameplay, and dungeon crawlers absolutely are a defined genre. 

spemanig said:
IFireflyl said:

Wikipedia Dungeon Crawl

That's flat out wrong. It definitely does not have hack-n-slash gameplay, and dungeon crawlers absolutely are a defined genre. 

I don't know what to tell you, man. Interwebbed.

Wikipedia Hack-And-Slash