By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles now coming close to High End PC hardware? read this Witcher 3 report

The video card is currently mid range. Mid high if being generous as its place has been taken by the GTX 970 in the $300-350 range. The CPU is mid high range.

Optimization is a big part of the differences between PC and consoles. Since the benchmarks haven't been run for the recommended set up (typical as there are variances depending on which brand components are being used), there's no way of saying that they'll post the same performance numbers as the PS4 version. I would expect a higher frame rate at 1920x1080, which is not to say that running it locked at 30fps wouldn't be better (as defined by consistent rates) depending on how much the frame rate varies during play when unlocked.

Much of the PC component advantage heading into the future (and even now) will be utilized for higher resolutions, whether that be 3 x 1920x1080 or a single 4K display, which is something consoles won't have to contend with.

Naturally with a better PC set up, performance can't be matched by a $400 ($350 XBO) console barring any titles that are horrendously optimized and incredibly inefficient with regards to how they utilize the extra resources of such a PC.

I think the fact that 1920x1080p at 60fps isn't the standard on 8th gen consoles says pretty much everything with regards to the processing/resource gap.

Around the Network

Nothing has changed. The PS4 was always a High End PC. By the end of this year it will be Mid-range, but by then it will be 2 years old and $300 so...

greenmedic88 said:
The video card is currently mid range. Mid high if being generous as its place has been taken by the GTX 970 in the $300-350 range. The CPU is mid high range.

Optimization is a big part of the differences between PC and consoles. Since the benchmarks haven't been run for the recommended set up (typical as there are variances depending on which brand components are being used), there's no way of saying that they'll post the same performance numbers as the PS4 version. I would expect a higher frame rate at 1920x1080, which is not to say that running it locked at 30fps wouldn't be better (as defined by consistent rates) depending on how much the frame rate varies during play when unlocked.

Much of the PC component advantage heading into the future (and even now) will be utilized for higher resolutions, whether that be 3 x 1920x1080 or a single 4K display, which is something consoles won't have to contend with.

Naturally with a better PC set up, performance can't be matched by a $400 ($350 XBO) console barring any titles that are horrendously optimized and incredibly inefficient with regards to how they utilize the extra resources of such a PC.

I think the fact that 1920x1080p at 60fps isn't the standard on 8th gen consoles says pretty much everything with regards to the processing/resource gap.

Developers tend to favor 30 FPS so the trailers and screenshots look nicer.  Also the PS4/X1 CPU is built for strength, not speed so 30 FPS is specifically easier for these consoles moreso than before...

I'm not a PC gamer but the only way I can see console catching up to PC is if the devs dumbed down PC versions of games to match their console counterparts

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Ruler said:

Not really it costs the same, and keep in mind thats only 1 component. The cpu costs another 300€

If you take the rest of the PC then I don't get the purpose of this thread. It is already established that PCs cannot reach the performance/price ratio that consoles have. And console cannot reach the performance of PCs.

So why are you doing this thread again?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

It's probably a long time until the average gaming PC tops a PS4 or XO so I don't see much use in debate until then.

Ruler said:
vivster said:
Please don't call 770 higher end.

Also it's not yet benched what kind of performance a 770 will get you on a PC. Are the console still close if a 770 delivers 50% more performance than the consoles?

Its nvidias second highest graphicscard in the category where normal human beings can afford it. 50% more means 45 fps average its not enough and in fact if ps4 and x1 are locked we dont know how much they are performing it could be 35-40 fps but locked @30

Third highest. 780ti > 780 > 770. And yes there are those crazy Titan Z cards that mere mortals cannot afford.