By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Corp. to delay Q1 report over The Interview hack

kowenicki said:
MoHasanie said:
Well I guess that's fair. The Interview has ended up doing well considering it's limited release. It probably won't recover its costs but at least Sony didn't lose that much money on it.

The estimated costs of the hack are between $100m and $200m depending on who you believe.

It cost them a lot.  Not least in terms of reputation in Hollywood.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-18/sony-s-costs-from-the-interview-seen-near-200-million.html

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21869/20141210/sony-pictures-cyber-attack-may-cost-100-million-says-expert.htm

Yes, those costs will never be recovered. But if it was easy to hack them then it was bound to happen eventually. But the actual movie itself has recovered most of its budget and will probably profit after they make money from DVD sales and TV broadcasting rights. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Mystro-Sama said:
kowenicki said:
Mystro-Sama said:

They have a new financial guy? Lets hope he can fix the situation.

He has already made big strides.  He basically cut the crap,  the smoke and mirrors and revealed all in the current years financials.  Hence the large loss for this fy. 

So all he did was just show how much they're losing? Are you serious?

Not quite.  He advised a write down of good will.  He esssentially revalued aspects of the business including mobile which results in a one time loss.  He also advised on some infrastructure changes that incurred one off losses.

I still fail to see the problem with Sony. On the surface it appears they're doing really well yet they're losing so much money.

kowenicki said:
true_fan said:
In all seriousness, Kaz hirai needs to GO ASAP. Sony leadership just looks inept, based on how they are currently run you wouldn't think sony at one point was one of the largest electronic hardware companies in the world. It has been error after error under Kaz.

Kaz isnt really running the show at the minute.  The new financial officer Kenichiro Yoshida is... and I like him.

He did what Kaz failed to do for 2 years.  The new guy just got on with it, exposed the crap, did the write down of good will and bit the bullet.

He can now start with a cleaner base and build from there.  I'm quite positive on Sony... so long as they ditch those effin' mobiles, a Kaz vanity product that needs to die like vaio did.

Im sorry but i highly doubt he is the sole reason the company is heading in the right direction. Im sure multiple people came up with and help implement the changes at sony. You make it sound as if he is the only guy at sony with a brain. You dont credit specific people when things go down at microsoft. Also kaz and the board have the final say so and its their jobs on the line when they put the plans into motion. 

Im sure Yoshida is a great and has really helped but its pretty bs to be saying crap like you are.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

kowenicki said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
kowenicki said:

Kaz isnt really running the show at the minute.  The new financial officer Kenichiro Yoshida is... and I like him.

He did what Kaz failed to do for 2 years.  The new guy just got on with it, exposed the crap, did the write down of good will and bit the bullet.

He can now start with a cleaner base and build from there.  I'm quite positive on Sony... so long as they ditch those effin' mobiles, a Kaz vanity product that needs to die like vaio did.

Im sorry but i highly doubt he is the sole reason the company is heading in the right direction. Im sure multiple people came up with and help implement the changes at sony. You make it sound as if he is the only guy at sony with a brain. You dont credit specific people when things go down at microsoft. Also kaz and the board have the final say so and its their jobs on the line when they put the plans into motion. 

Im sure Yoshida is a great and has really helped but its pretty bs to be saying crap like you are.

Rght.  If you say so. You seem to be getting a tad aggressive.  Its just my opinion and not bs or crap, it is also backed up by the facts and various analysts opinions too.  i diodnt say he was the sole reason, i said he is the main reason... and as it is job to do exactly these things then I think its a decent observation.

You might want to tone it down a little mate.  I'm really sorry I dont love Kaz, I really am.

They didn't need a break.  Just someone who had the balls to sort it out.  The new financial guy is that man.

He has already made big strides.  He basically cut the crap,  the smoke and mirrors and revealed all in the current years financials

It is fud. You have no proof. Kaz is not running the show. You have no proof Yoshida is the sole maker of all these changes that are happening at Sony. As i stated before teams come up with things not individuals you dont credit each single person when something goes on at microsoft. You credit Nadella the head of the company because he has the say so. Im not a Kaz lover i dont even care. But when you repeatidly state things over and over proclaiming things as facts its annoying and i cant help but say something. Now if you state that these are your opinions then your good. 

Coffee is for closers!

kowenicki said:
Mystro-Sama said:
kowenicki said:

Not quite.  He advised a write down of good will.  He esssentially revalued aspects of the business including mobile which results in a one time loss.  He also advised on some infrastructure changes that incurred one off losses.

I still fail to see the problem with Sony. On the surface it appears they're doing really well yet they're losing so much money.

High sales and revenue means nothing.

Tiny profit margins was the main historical problem.  When you have a profit margin of 2% to 5% you are knife edge on curreny movements and seasonal issues.

They are trying to raise profit margins with the breathing speace the Yen is currently giving them.  They need to do it asap as the yen wont stick that low forever.

They are going in the right direction finally.

Wow, you're probably the only one here that knows what's going on. lol

Keep me updated, bro.

Around the Network

then they'll combine Q1 and Q2 to make it seem like a huge success,sly sony!

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

kowenicki said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
kowenicki said:

Rght.  If you say so. You seem to be getting a tad aggressive.  Its just my opinion and not bs or crap, it is also backed up by the facts and various analysts opinions too.  i diodnt say he was the sole reason, i said he is the main reason... and as it is job to do exactly these things then I think its a decent observation.

You might want to tone it down a little mate.  I'm really sorry I dont love Kaz, I really am.

They didn't need a break.  Just someone who had the balls to sort it out.  The new financial guy is that man.

He has already made big strides.  He basically cut the crap,  the smoke and mirrors and revealed all in the current years financials

It is fud. You have no proof. Kaz is not running the show. You have no proof Yoshida is the sole maker of all these changes that are happening at Sony. As i stated before teams come up with things not individuals you dont credit each single person when something goes on at microsoft. You credit Nadella the head of the company because he has the say so. Im not a Kaz lover i dont even care. But when you repeatidly state things over and over proclaiming things as facts its annoying and i cant help but say something. Now if you state that these are your opinions then your good. 

everything I say is my opinion.  i suggest you stay out of financial discussion, you dont seem to be able to stay objective.  how in the wide wide world does this fall under the FUD definition?

You repeatidly claim something that is not true. Thats how its fud. You have no proof of any of claims. And ill engage in any discussion i feel like. I already stated i dont care about kaz. I dont care about sony. When i see you going around spreading propaganda and opinions as facts im gona respond. 

Coffee is for closers!