By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMW 5:59.6 'credits warp' (Non-emulator WR)

I saw the video the other day, it's pretty intense what you can do. If you haven't already you should check out the TAS they did for ADGQ 2014 where they executed code and made Pong and Snake in Super Mario World.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
petroleo said:
mornelithe said:
Aeolus451 said:
Was it a legit speed run or one where they use exploits? I didn't watch the vid. I have no sound coming through my laptop.

It's apparently a glitch in the code that was recently found, it requires a rather convoluted set of steps.  But, I'd call it an exploit, you don't fight Bowser, you don't even go to world 8, basically skips a massive chunk of the game and goes straight to the credits.

Saying this is an exploit and not valid, is like saying all other games runs like Zelda: Ocarine Time aren't valid too, I lost count how many levels, dungeons some speed runners jumped with Zelda, is ridiculous.   If the code is not altered by the user, but exploiting  the original code cause of bugs while playing the game thats it totally valid like any other speed run since the fault is not your is the developers fault.  

Have you watched the video?  He basically hot patches SMW, by embedding things in the memory in very particular places.  Dunno, exploit may not be the right word, but it's certainly more than just a 'speed run'.

In other videos yes it actually jumped into the code and make some modifications, but in this case hes is playing the original game in such manner that somehow is oveflowing the memory buffer so the game can tend to glitched and that is totally possible.  

here's the world record he did a day later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECESOoU8Es

petroleo said:

In other videos yes it actually jumped into the code and make some modifications, but in this case hes is playing the original game in such manner that somehow is oveflowing the memory buffer so the game can tend to glitched and that is totally possible.  

That's not how he explains it, his exact words were like he's patching the game.  Either way, splitting hairs here.  It's not 'super' important to me.  I just thought it was pretty dang cool.

I think it's fine because the intent isn't to beat the game the way the developers intended. It's to break the game and see how fast they can do it. It's a whole other realm of objectives rather than just completing it.

They just need to title it as such. I prefer to watch speed runs where they do it within the objective of the game though.