By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a game digitally if...

I usually go digital if the game has no physical copy but a cheaper price and special bonuses are tempting to me.

I recently purchased Tales of Hearts R digitally on my Vita because it had bonus costumes included that was not in the physical copy and I almost purchased Disgaea 4 during the PS Anniversary sale but I just didn't have enough money.

Edit: Price drops on physical copies doesn't happen too often here in the Philippines and it takes years before the retailers bring down the price of a game. So a sudden sale online can become a cheaper alternative.

Around the Network

No for A B and C. I almost never buy games in the first month and I am willing to pay a little extra for a boxed copy (I never pay $60 anyways because I don't buy new games) and the DLC means nothing to me.

I will not sign on to exclusive digital gaming until companies convince / prove to me I will receive some sort of major benefit / discount in exchange for the massive benefits they get from it.  Probably 25% lower cost.  If the originally proposed MS model had stayed and Sony and Nintendo had gone with the same mentality gamers would have been totally screwed.  Also I already hate the fact that if I want to play NBA JAM on Fire edition and other great last gen games that were only digital, I now have to keep that console forever...

Il start buying all or mostly digital when my girlfriend starts yelling at me for my giant shelf of games. So any day now.

kowenicki said:
Cobretti2 said:
never.

you wont have achoice eventually.

OT

I buy quite a few already, I have a 2TB on my xbox one now.  If it was 20% cheaper, I'd buy everything digitally.

ok i probably shouldn't say never.

I guess when it becomes like steam a service.

Atm i am against all digital because the only way to back things up is doing a full backup. I hate the fact you can't just add to your backup but need to do a full one each time. Also TBH i don't even know what would happen if my console died and I had to use the backup on another. Never researched it. Also with games getting bigger and bigger you will need more HDD space. ATM i do not uninstall games on consoles because most require patches. I have no idea what would happen to the game after the generation ended and I can't get the patches again, hence why I leave them.

In one sense I would prefer if consoles went back to carts. However using modern memory so it would be much bigger and smaller. ATM A 128GB flash drive retails for like $70 to consumers. I am sure they can get it down to $5 at wholsale next gen. I would allow potentially 80gbs for a game and the rest of the same so updates and save files. That way all the games content woudl be on that cart and you could insert it into any console. They could also have a 32bg and 64 gb variant for smaller games.

For PC I am very happy with Steam because i've had it across multiple console generations and I can play all my games still as long as I install steam on that PC. I can uninstlal and reinstlal knowing that the full content will always be there on steam unless they go bankrupt. However even then i reckon lots of players be fighting over it to buy it.

Around the Network

I would buy games digitally for any of those reasons you listed.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

If digital was 20% cheaper I would buy almost everything but the games I really like digitally.

ABC. All no. A: I don't care about waiting. This is already going on with movies and TV Shows. B: No. If I cared about price. I would be on the side of digital, in the first place. C: I don't care about DLC. The only price I stop caring about the game being digital is $5. Because at that price. The game is disposable.

Angelus said:
ktay95 said:
Price and convinience are why I still choose physical over digital

Ditto, except it's digital for me

1. How a disk is in any way more convenient than something digital is beyond me.

2. I'd pay between 60 and 70 Euros here in germany for a new X1 game. If buy digital from the Xbox store I pay $60 (set state to Oregon so no tax), which comes out a bit over 50 Euros depending on how strong/weak the dollar is any given month. 

I can give a few examples. Have a HDD failure. Future poof, if you care about the games. Or put a new drive in. Then put back all the games you had installed. The only negative a disc gives is swapping. And that is more of a personal laziness issue. You could argue the disc drive can fail too. But a HDD fails more easier. And I can attept to repair/clean/replace a disc drive. VS a HDD is fully dead and can't be fixed.

b.

I would buy physical, even if all three of those apply.