By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS3 a failure?

Is PS3 a failure?

Yes! 146 23.74%

No! 422 68.62%

Maybe baby 27 4.39%

Gimme numbers! Arrgh omnomnom! 19 3.09%

Total:614
Mr.Playstation said:
DanneSandin said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Success in terms of sales? Yes
Success in terms of game sales? Yes
Success in quality which helps the PS4 today? Yes
Success in making Sony money? No

Success in terms of sales? Really? It barely made second place and it lost a lot of sales and market share PS2 had gained.

When looking at what other second place consoles made in previous gens I think you will change your mind:

1 Xbox ~ 30 million 

2. N64 ~ 40 million

All first place consoles sold over 100 million.

Hmm yes indeed, you're quite right. this only makes the discussion even more interesting ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
This series of threads seem eerily similar to a series of threads made by some other sexy poster in the past....

No way! Really? I was not aware at all actually. By who?

PenguinZ said:
It lost market share and it lost a lot of money, so I'd classify it as a failure from a financial prospective. There were plenty of poor decisions that went into creation and execution of the PS3. They say you learn more from your failures than you do from your successes though.

And we got PS4 that did pretty much everything right ^^

The PS3 had a rough launch, but eventually made money for Sony and was a sstepping stone for the PS4. It is a moderate success though, but a console selling 80 million+ and made some money can't be considered a failure. So even though it is Sony worst selling console it still sold very well.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

DanneSandin said:
d21lewis said:
This series of threads seem eerily similar to a series of threads made by some other sexy poster in the past....

No way! Really? I was not aware at all actually. By who?

It's been over a year so they're fair game.  It's time to ask the question again.  I made threads asking if the Wii, PS3, and 360 were considered successful based on expectations, profitability, games, and sales.

Around the Network

Sony with the PS3 made the best of a lousy situation. They screwed up. Remember when assassins creed, final fantasy and other games were gonna be ps3 exclusive? A stream lined, reasonably priced console would have shot ahead in sales and many people today would still not know what an xbox is. They opened the castle doors and let the xbox penetrate DEEP the market. Fail.

In a way though that's life. i've messed up bad at times in my life. I always pick myself up and keep trying tho. Many of my failures have led to my successes. Perhaps the ps3 was exactly what it needed to be. It's blunders led to the wildly successful ps4. I'll call that a success!

Comparing any console to the PS2 to determine if a console was successful is unfair. I doubt any console will match it's sales ever or it will be generations later when the gaming community is large enough for a console to sell that greatly and others still do well.

If you compare the PS3 to it's generation, it got 2nd place in sales and the 360 was MS's best selling console. If sony made a profit from it then I think it did well. In some ways, it was a failure. It was the only sony console to not get 1st place in sales in it's generation and I think it hurt the playstation brand a bit.

d21lewis said:

It's been over a year so they're fair game.  It's time to ask the question again.  I made threads asking if the Wii, PS3, and 360 were considered successful based on expectations, profitability, games, and sales.

I bet your threads were a lot sexier than mine though ;)

I'd say it was a success considering where it was coming from and the fact that it beat the 360 near the end and is still selling software pretty well.

Its the legacy that matters, I think a major part of the Ps4's success is the goodwill the ps3 generated with its incredibly strong final years.