By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows 10 Event: **LIVE** Windows 10 FREE to Windows 8, 8.1 and 7 Users.

What are you most anticipating?

The new Spartan Browser 50 23.92%

Virtual Reality debut 18 8.61%

PC Gaming with Xbox 55 26.32%

New Flasgship Phone 4 1.91%

New Surface Hardware 3 1.44%

START MENU 35 16.75%

Unknown new additions 14 6.70%

Cortana 9 4.31%

Other 15 7.18%

Total:203

Win10 will be free for Win7 users? Did I read that right?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

Yeah for the first year. Then after that you have to pay to upgrade.

Look what I found.

oh I see. thanks TheGoldenBoy

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
TheGoldenBoy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Wait, by this do you mean that its basically a one year free trial or do you mean that if you don't redeem your upgrade within a year, you have to pay for it? And does the same apply to windows 8/8.1 Users? And should I even care about Windows 10? What makes it better? (pardon my ignorance)

sundin13 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Wait, by this do you mean that its basically a one year free trial or do you mean that if you don't redeem your upgrade within a year, you have to pay for it? And does the same apply to windows 8/8.1 Users? And should I even care about Windows 10? What makes it better? (pardon my ignorance)

They explained it poorly during the conference. But from what I understand is that during the first year of its launch it's free to upgrade and you keep it forever. After a year anyone wanting to upgrade will have to pay. The Empire thread would probably know better though. I'm still not completely sure myself.

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
sundin13 said:

They explained it poorly during the conference. But from what I understand is that during the first year of its launch it's free to upgrade and you keep it forever. After a year anyone wanting to upgrade will have to pay. The Empire thread would probably know better though. I'm still not completely sure myself.

That's my understanding too. But I'm not sure.

jlmurph2 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
sundin13 said:

Yeah their explanation was confusing. I hope it was I said though; that would be awesome.

Can somebody post a YT link on my wall to the whole thing?? I dont want to be spoiled... unless it was utter garbage but I highly doubt that

TheGoldenBoy said:
Panama said:
Very happy with what I saw with Windows 10. I liked it so much that I'll even buy it instead of cheaping out and waiting a year :^)

I think actually they said that for the first year it is free and then after that anyone wanting to upgrade will have to pay.

I hope you're right. I was watching it with the cnet live blog also open, and they were under the impression you have to wait a year before it becomes free.

kowenicki said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
jlmurph2 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Yeah their explanation was confusing. I hope it was I said though; that would be awesome.

your bolded understanding is 100% correct.

Thanks for the clarification.