By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - According to MyNintendonews Captain Toad Bombed :P

DerNebel said:
Captain Toad must've been incredibly cheap to make for Nintendo (made in about a year, shorter than usual games, basically entirely reuses assets and music(?) from 3D World). 250k in the US in one month? I think Nintendo's very happy with that.

Indeed. A lot of us figured that 1m lifetime WW would be a big win for a budget title like "Toad".

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

like I said this is probably passed 500k with EU and might be close to 600k with digital

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

StuOhQ said:
DerNebel said:
Captain Toad must've been incredibly cheap to make for Nintendo (made in about a year, shorter than usual games, basically entirely reuses assets and music(?) from 3D World). 250k in the US in one month? I think Nintendo's very happy with that.

Indeed. A lot of us figured that 1m lifetime WW would be a big win for a budget title like "Toad".

Once the profits cover the developing expenses, this game will get a severe price drop. Maybe a permanent 15$ pricepoint or less. Then it will reach a million easily.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

guys this game is undertracked on vgchartz
there is no way in hell it has 60k downloads probably has 20-30k
so around 30-40k undertracked in US

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Darwinianevolution said:
StuOhQ said:
DerNebel said:

Once the profits cover the developing expenses, this game will get a severe price drop. Maybe a permanent 15$ pricepoint or less. Then it will reach a million easily.

When has Nintendo ever lowered the price of one of their games?

Fire Emblem: Awakening for example still costs €45 here and even €52 on Bol.com (it's hard to find in stores in my country). 

Around the Network

Sales are not bad or great and I don't think, scratch that, I KNOW nintendo didn't break the bank making this. I'm sure it's close to breaking even so It's just something to buy them time for when the big boys come out to play (Zelda and.....zelda)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Maybe they expected it to sell like GTA, Mario Kart or CoD because otherwise that doesn't make any sense...

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Probably the only Wii U game that sold above expectations that year.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Areym said:
Sales are not bad or great and I don't think, scratch that, I KNOW nintendo didn't break the bank making this. I'm sure it's close to breaking even so It's just something to buy them time for when the big boys come out to play (Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X and ....maybe Star Fox)

Fixed for you ;)

I can't see how 250k for a game (puzzle) like this who had Smash as competition, can be considered bad.
That number is pretty good for that kind of game and most likely will keep on selling steadily for quite some time, especially if they release the game+amiibo bundle in the US.

I just hope Europe sees sales, at least, Japan like sales.