By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If Greece was kicked out of the EU, would that save the dying Euro?

That would be a dumb thing to do since that would cause the Euro to lose its value even more. You're also forgetting that the US dollar value is going up.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
The problem that every EU member has that relies on the Euro as its currency is that it has no control of the currency. The UK, Japan, the US, Canada, Australia, etc, all have the ability to set their own monetary policy. If they need to take out loans, sell debt, or print money, they can.

No Euro-based nation can do that.

The EU would do better under a federal system, however I doubt that would every be possible.

Its one of the biggest disadvantages of the Euro but all countries know this before they join the EU. 

Greece fucked themselves up. They have a culture of not paying taxes. You don't see me blaming the euro for Irelands biggest ever recession. Fact is our greedy and currupt politicians allowed other greedy and corrupt people press the sell destruct button in spectacular fashion.

MoHasanie said:
That would be a dumb thing to do since that would cause the Euro to lose its value even more. You're also forgetting that the US dollar value is going up.

the value of the dollar will fall sooner than later... we talking about 300b in greece, old debt, the usa makes that much new debt in 8 months. europe is way better of than the usa.(and the most important thing we dont have a broken democratic system with 1 retarded party.)

The euro is still much stronger than the dollar. Is the dollar doomed?

A weak euro is good news! Increase in exports as people from outside can purchase goods for cheaper. Derp! I think you have been watching too much US propaganda...I mean news. In Europe they also blame the US faltering economy for a lot, just like the news In The Us blames the EU for everything.

Regarding Greece, should Virginia be kicked out of the US?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Mr Khan said:
Ka-pi96 said:
That would be a pretty bad idea really. It would completely destroy Greece and it would probably damage the Euro in every other country as well.

It wouldn't destroy Greece. Greece is running a budget surplus at the moment, the result of the crippling austerity programs imposed from Brussels. Greece would get really messed up, but not destroyed. Their problem is the existing debt, which honestly needs to be written down.

It would certainly damage them a great deal. They'd have to come up with their own currency really quickly and get it into circulation and trade it for peoples Euros fast. There would no doubt be a lot of people trying to get all their money out of the banks before such a changeover happened, so they could get more favourable rates, which would really not h

Well, the economy of Greece shrunk by 1/4 in 5 years, That has never happened nowhere else.(in time of peace that is).

27% is the official unemployment rate, however, there are more people without a job (and that's not counting kids or retired people) than with a job.In a country with 10 million people, you can understand that's a lot of misery.

Also, the poverty rate is the 2nd highest in all of Europe, aproximatelly 70% of people under 25 years old are unemployed and and and ..... problems never end.I live them every day cause I actually live in one of the poorest areas in Greece. There are not Favellas here but you get my point.

Anything worse than what Greece is facing right now IS destruction,If what I named above is not considered a destruction allready.

However, not many people here think that anything willl change for the best, despite what most vote for.

Myself, I would just like to not be unemployed when I graduate. ( not that I believe that my wish will come tru.)

0815user said:
so when the euro was introduced with a referance value of 1/1.17 against the dollar back in 2002, was the dollar dying up until recently?

Yes and no.

Dollar has been dying since its inception, same as the Euro. It's just that now, for the while at least, the Euro is dying at a slightly faster rate than the Dollar.

generic-user-1 said:
MoHasanie said:

the value of the dollar will fall sooner than later... we talking about 300b in greece, old debt, the usa makes that much new debt in 8 months. europe is way better of than the usa.(and the most important thing we dont have a broken democratic system with 1 retarded party.)

Well...you're right about the USA and the dollar collapsing, but when that happens, the effects will be disastrous worldwide including the EU. Japan is another country with a huge amount of debt. 

Nkh3 said:

Well, the economy of Greece shrunk by 1/4 in 5 years, That has never happened nowhere else.(in time of peace that is).

27% is the official unemployment rate, however, there are more people without a job (and that's not counting kids or retired people) than with a job.In a country with 10 million people, you can understand that's a lot of misery.

Also, the poverty rate is the 2nd highest in all of Europe, aproximatelly 70% of people under 25 years old are unemployed and and and ..... problems never end.I live them every day cause I actually live in one of the poorest areas in Greece. There are not Favellas here but you get my point.

Anything worse than what Greece is facing right now IS destruction,If what I named above is not considered a destruction allready.

However, not many people here think that anything willl change for the best, despite what most vote for.

Myself, I would just like to not be unemployed when I graduate. ( not that I believe that my wish will come tru.)

Aim higher. Look abroad. If you're young enough to make decisions regarding your education, get yourself certifications in English language (TOEFL, GRE), study a degree of which there is global demand (ie, Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths), if you can afford, do a Masters at a foreign University, and an internship in the same country.

South-East Asia is your best bet: chronic labour shortage and easy immigration laws. Here in Hong Kong, if you're a native English speaker (I know you're not), they'll basically give you a visa because they're so short-staffed on English teachers. I've heard stories of people coming here on holiday, and having job offers before they've gone home.

Hell, I probably get 2 or 3 invitations to interviews every other week through LinkedIn and I'm not even looking.

Adinnieken said:
The problem that every EU member has that relies on the Euro as its currency is that it has no control of the currency. The UK, Japan, the US, Canada, Australia, etc, all have the ability to set their own monetary policy. If they need to take out loans, sell debt, or print money, they can.

No Euro-based nation can do that.

The EU would do better under a federal system, however I doubt that would every be possible.

True, basically every poor country is damaged heavilly by the Euro while strong ones can be benefited.

Greece shouldn't have entered the Euro in the first place, we shouldn't have gotten the 2004 Olympics either, these were all fireworks by the same two political parties that have been governing this place since the 70s. You can't imagine how many scandals were happening here.

The party that's gonna (probably) win these elections is generally new. That's why people hope for something better, plus it's the first time that a leftish party is gonna rule the country. Ore any country in Europe to be exact. (correect me if I'm wrong)