By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Core Nintendo fans are to blame for the Wii U situation

*Sound Of Rain said:
Anfebious said:

How do you solve it? You don't change those hardcore Nintendo fans. You change your target, you try to aim for other kind of people. And that's something that Nintendo has to do! In short... it's Nintendo's fault!

Nintendo doesn't invest in new IP's too often because the fans don't want them. They request the next Metroid or Zelda. When they do make new IP's (TW101) fans don't buy them which will show Nintendo to stick with the stable IP's

Yet, this is what Nintendo needs in order to bring in new fans in the longrun. 

Also, hi Anfebious

First, no company makes huge amounts of new IPs. Besides, the "newness' of the IP is irrelevant, only the game matters.

Requesting mario and zelda =/= telling them NOT to try bringing new IPs. and you'll need more than one example (TW101).

Around the Network

Anyway, I'm going off for the night guys. Thank you for the many respectful and intelligent responses. A few of you were a bit disrespectful but I forgive you

*Sound Of Rain said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, Bayo 2 is well on its way to outselling the original on 360, and probably on PS3 as well by the time all's said and done.

Yes, it is actually doing good when you put it against the standalone versions of the first game. At the same time, you must remember, the first game wasn't successful enough to get a sequel with 2 versions. This game only gets sales from 1 console and has Bayo 1 included.

PS3/360 had vastly bigger install bases, yet Bayo 2 on Wii U is likely to outsell both SKUs of the original. The sales of Bayo 2 are not held back by the Nintendo fanbase, they are held back because it is a niche series that barely broke 2 million even with a 170 million install base.

And Wonderful 101 would not have sold well on any system.

Metallox said:

-Almost every Nintendo fan I know owns other system.
-Doesn't make any sense to purchase third party content on Wii U

It's Nintendo's problem, not ours, they don't want to produce new IPs because they don't want and that's it.

The top two points are key. I would purchase third party games on Nintendos system if they had everything the others offered. But they don't so I buy them elsewhere.

OP once again throws out the general statement that we Nintendo fan don't want new IPs and Third party content. We do, it's just that we buy our third party elsewhere and also expect Nintendo too release titles in their long running series as well. Nintendo only has so many studios so a new Zelda will defiantely take preference to something new that might not sell.

Funnily enough bayonetta 2 is tracking above many of the Nintendo frnachise wii u games that have been released. Hopefully this spurs Nintendo to continue pushing more adult orientated games as well.

*Sound Of Rain said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, Bayo 2 is well on its way to outselling the original on 360, and probably on PS3 as well by the time all's said and done.

Yes, it is actually doing good when you put it against the standalone versions of the first game. At the same time, you must remember, the first game wasn't successful enough to get a sequel with 2 versions. This game only gets sales from 1 console and has Bayo 1 included.

This one probably didn't cost as much as the first. the first must have profited, only not enough for sega to take the risk on a sequel. It's also doing better and will likely outsell any individual version of the first game, at full price and on a much smaller installed base.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
How can u sell 3rd party games on a console if it doesn't get them?

Wii U had decent 3rd party support at launch but most of them were destined to fail. Tekken Tag 2, Darksiders 2, Ninja Gaiden 3 were all games that didn't even sell very well on PS360, consoles with 80m+ install bases. Mass Effect 3 was sold for $60 when PS360 got the entire trilogy for the same price. Arkham City was a year old port that sold similar to some of the year old ports on Xbox One. Call of Duty & Assassin's Creed were really the only ones that had a chance of selling well.

Now, if 3rd parties really had any intention of supporting Wii U then they would have had games scheduled for post-launch, which pretty much none did. In the first 3 quarters of 2013, Injustice and Splinter Cell were the only somewhat significant 3rd party titles that werent late ports, that's a span of 9 months.

For the holidays it got a second batch of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Batman but after 9 months of no support the damage was pretty much already done. Why would I buy a companies games if they are going to treat me like a 2nd class customer?

THIS

Imagine the impact that mere announcements would have done in 2013, like FF 15, kingdom hearts 3, destiny... then in 2014 the wichter 3, mortal kombat 10, batman AK... Not to mention the infinite BS that was watch dogs.

generic-user-1 said:

you should buy w101, its realy nice and you can get it cheap.

I played the demo. I remember thinking it was fun, but kinda random. I suppose now that it's cheap, I don't have an excuse XD; I'll check it out when my backlog lightens from all the Christmas games.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

*Sound Of Rain said:
Roma said:

time and time again people talk about the power of the system being the reason while GC was stronger than PS2 and equal to Xbox more or less and still it got less 3rd party games than those two.

blaming the fans is getting old as we don't eat up shit made by 3rd parties and people need to get that through their thick skull! Nintendo fans aren't like the other two who eat up just about anything before it is even released.

And where the hell have you heard that we don't want new IP? of course we do but we also want old IPs as well.

I love it when every now and then a guy likes to play expert on what Nintendo should do and has done wrong to end in it's situations starts babling. Give it a rest already the same shit has been spoken hundreds of times and you do it without considering how fans feel or that Nintendo is trying to be profitable.

@bolded: Well, that's a pretty rude thing to say isn't it? You say the non-Nintendo fans need to realize that you guys don't want to just eat everything up. Who says we do? Who says we, like you, can't have our own feelings as to what we like. Hypocritical much? Also, did you happen to forget I'm a big Nintendo fan? 

This is a sales site, that's what we do. We analyze and try to give our thoughts on sales. If you don't want part in it, don't post in the threads that are sales based. I rarely do nowadays. I simply had an idea and wanted to share.

you're using sales to blame Nintendo fans of something so I'm just using your logic on the other two fanbases. obviously 3rd party sales are down on WiiU because we have learned not to buy into crap while others buy every remaster/crappy port or buggy games in the millions so you see where I am getting this from?

your OP isn't really anything new, it's merely a copy past of other posters posting the same thing hence why I said this shit has been talked about hundreds of times already.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

*Sound Of Rain said:

TLDR: Nintendo fans won't allow Nintendo to create new IP's and ignore 3rd party on Nintendo consoles.

We all know that the Wii U has been a failure by Nintendo sale standards. With that said, many blame Nintendo for this issue. I mean, who else is to blame? The droughts seem to be endless & the marketing is piss poor. 

I personally think that is just an excuse. The people who care about video games (even just a little) know what a Wii U is. This is a big market that is simply ignoring it. The droughts are because of the lack of 3rd party support which is both Nintendo's & the fan bases fault. 

losing 3rd party is Nintendo's fault because they decided to release a weaker system as well as a funky controller. This makes it difficult to port things over. They are basically asking 3rd parties to use extra time and money in order to make it Wii U friendly. Some Nintendo fans don't want to buy a 3rd party game because they believe anything other than Nintendo isn't quality enough to deserve their money. As for the ones who do buy 3rd party? Many would rather buy them for one of the other systems / PC because of the graphics increase. So, really, both are to blame here.

Now, another big issue with Nintendo that I've noticed by buying a PS is the lack of new IP's. Sure, they have a decent amount of new eShop IP's but they will go unnoticed on store shelves and will never be seen by the average non-Wii U gamer. They need new IP's that will get public attention. So, why doesn't Nintendo make too many new IP's? The core Nintendo fans won't let them. Every year fans ask them about the next Mario, or Zelda, or Metroid and so on. Retro for example, should be making a new IP but you know as well as I do that if Metroid isn't shown, fans will be disappointed. Fans don't want a new IP, they'd rather take a new entry in a comfortable series. This is fine but is hurting Nintendo's chances in bringing in new fans.

I disagree. The Wii was weaker than the PS3 and 360, never supported HD, had an awkward controller, and developers never had any trouble making games then. Ubi even made a Wii exclusive version of the multiplat Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. If there's an audience and money, there's games.

The system isn't selling well, and the developers know that, and why should they waste money porting games that no-one will buy? Heh, I own a Wii U, and I'm not complaining. The majority of third party games released over the past couple of years have been absolute trash. The Nintendo fans aren't missing out on anything other than MGS.

I don't get the hype with the PS4. And trust me, I'm not saying this as a biased fanboy. I had one early last year and ended up trading it in not long later. I feel that Sony have duped twenty million people into buying what is essentially a PS3 emulator, that's games are all greedy 2013 remasters and generic chopped-up 6/10 FPS garbage.

That may appeal to angsty teenage boys with headsets, Youtube channels, boxes of Kleenex and shite insults, but it doesn't interest me. The games may look pretty, but they're horrible. Fans are putting too much hype behind unknown developers, and the result is almost always disappointing. Not one single game on the PS4 has lived up to the hype or even came close.

I don't understand the sudden cry for Nintendo to make new IPs, especially at this point. It's not like they can afford to waste time. It's like people are expecting them to make a profit on untested games that aren't guaranteed to be amazing. Say Nintendo put all of their eggs into one basket, Mario, TLOZ, Pokemon and so on take a back seat, and they dedicate their time to creating new games. What happens if they don't sell? What happens if they get critically panned?

curl-6 said:

I'm not a charity, 3rd parties have to earn my money.

Pretty much my thoughts.