By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Zelda Elimination Game (Updated! The Winner is...)

Link to the Past is definitely the superior game. LBW's story is enough to hinder it.

Around the Network

+OoT(If Dead then LttP)
-LBW

Clyde32 said:
Link to the Past is definitely the superior game. LBW's story is enough to hinder it.

Oh please, not again this story nonsense. Not a single Zelda game has much of a story besides maybe TP (I just love midna).

Samus Aran said:
Clyde32 said:

Oh please, not again this story nonsense. Not a single Zelda game has much of a story besides maybe TP (I just love midna).

It wasn't the lack of a story, it was the story itself. 

Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:
S.Peelman said:
+ to the Past
- to the World

Assuming those are the only two left and MM and OoT are dead.

Having played LTTP after ALBW I honestly can't understand why anyone would think ALTTP is better.

It doesn't have its own identity, it's just Zelda with very basic dungeons. It's a very poor man's MP2 (if that even makes sense lol).

ALBW is an easy version of ALTTP. Not to mention that Lorule is a dumbed down version of the Dark World, just like TP is from OoT.

That's why everyone knows ALTTP enters on the top of the series while ALBW ends just like another good game, like TWW.

Thank you, seems like I don't need to answer.

I'll add something though; ALBW is more like ALttP than TP is like OoT. The problem however is that ALBW ruined some stuff ALttP did right, most notably it's non-linearity. Hunting for items in various places done in a style similar to the original Zelda game on NES is just better than a tedious renting system, which becomes pointless when you get so many rupees you're better off just buying every item immediately.

Also, to me, dungeons make a Zelda game. And in this regard, ALttP beats ALBW because with the latter, I felt like every single dungeon was at least floor to short. Lastly I was disappointed that a lot of the game was almost a remake of ALttP. Hyrule itself is obvious, but the Dark World was a blatent copy even if that makes no sense at all story-wise. Lorule, supposed to be a parallel universe akin to Termina, just happens to look exactly like the Sacred Realm turned evil? Dungeons had the same theme and names and sometimes even the same rooms, puzzles and bosses.

Newer doesn't necessarily mean 'better', even if that newer game is supposed to 'fix' things. In reality, it often does not.

A Link Between Worlds is still an excellent game though and I rank it immediately after A Link to the Past in my personal Zelda ranking, because ripping off such a monument like ALttP is never a bad idea for any game.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:
S.Peelman said:
+ to the Past
- to the World

Assuming those are the only two left and MM and OoT are dead.

Having played LTTP after ALBW I honestly can't understand why anyone would think ALTTP is better.

It doesn't have its own identity, it's just Zelda with very basic dungeons. It's a very poor man's MP2 (if that even makes sense lol).

ALBW is an easy version of ALTTP. Not to mention that Lorule is a dumbed down version of the Dark World, just like TP is from OoT.

That's why everyone knows ALTTP enters on the top of the series while ALBW ends just like another good game, like TWW.

Thank you, seems like I don't need to answer.

I'll add something though; ALBW is more like ALttP than TP is like OoT. The problem however is that ALBW ruined some stuff ALttP did right, most notably it's non-linearity. Hunting for items in various places done in a style similar to the original Zelda game on NES is just better than a tedious renting system, which becomes pointless when you get so many rupees you're better off just buying every item immediately.

Also, to me, dungeons make a Zelda game. And in this regard, ALttP beats ALBW because with the latter, I felt like every single dungeon was at least floor to short. Lastly I was disappointed that a lot of the game was almost a remake of ALttP. Hyrule itself is obvious, but the Dark World was a blatent copy even if that makes no sense at all story-wise. Lorule, supposed to be a parallel universe akin to Termina, just happens to look exactly like the Sacred Realm turned evil? Dungeons had the same theme and names and sometimes even the same rooms, puzzles and bosses.

Newer doesn't necessarily mean 'better', even if that newer game is supposed to 'fix' things. In reality, it often does not.

A Link Between Worlds is still an excellent game though and I rank it immediately after A Link to the Past in my personal Zelda ranking, because ripping off such a monument like ALttP is never a bad idea for any game.

Too bad the items in any Zelda game are never used effectively throughout the game. Most of the items are also boring (in any Zelda game). Metroid is far superior to Zelda in this regard (at least to me).

And the dungeons being longer isn't good when they're pretty boring and standard. ALBW is a HH game, so dungeons are made shorter because of that.

The paint wall mechanic is the most creative and original thing to hit the Zelda franchise since a very long time.

Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:

I died more in ALBW than ALTTP. Both dark worlds suck and have no redeemable qualities imo.

That's because you played first ALBW, which is easy. ALTTP is not hard when you already knew basically all the tricks because ALBW just copy pasted. Anyway, Lorule is a dumbed down not only on how easy is to travel the overworld compared to the Dark World, but having to use the portals to go and return from Lorule was cheap. ALTTP was a SNES game an you can use a mirror in every part of the world.

That's actually very annoying. The portals encouraqge exploration, I like that much more. And the few things I didn't like in ALBW were taken straight from ALTTP (the ugly enemy designs). Everything I liked about ALBW was brand new (paint wall mechanic, dungeon puzzles, maiamai collection,item upgrades).

The portals are just a lazy consequence of the developers. It is impossible for a machine like the 3DS to not handle like a SNES game. If you really want exploration, then the dark world is way better than lorule as is not segmented but it is a cohesive overworld. Plus, dungeons are way way better in ALTTP as those really feels like every time you progress it becomes more difficult. With the exception of the Ice Palace in ALBW, every other dungeon was easy, even in hero mode.

I can't imagine Ganon's Tower from ALTTP in the same hero mode.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:

I died more in ALBW than ALTTP. Both dark worlds suck and have no redeemable qualities imo.

That's because you played first ALBW, which is easy. ALTTP is not hard when you already knew basically all the tricks because ALBW just copy pasted. Anyway, Lorule is a dumbed down not only on how easy is to travel the overworld compared to the Dark World, but having to use the portals to go and return from Lorule was cheap. ALTTP was a SNES game an you can use a mirror in every part of the world.

That's actually very annoying. The portals encouraqge exploration, I like that much more. And the few things I didn't like in ALBW were taken straight from ALTTP (the ugly enemy designs). Everything I liked about ALBW was brand new (paint wall mechanic, dungeon puzzles, maiamai collection,item upgrades).

The portals are just a lazy consequence of the developers. It is impossible for a machine like the 3DS to not handle like a SNES game. If you really want exploration, then the dark world is way better than lorule as is not segmented but it is a cohesive overworld. Plus, dungeons are way way better in ALTTP as those really feels like every time you progress it becomes more difficult. With the exception of the Ice Palace in ALBW, every other dungeon was easy, even in hero mode.

I can't imagine Ganon's Tower from ALTTP in the same hero mode.

Not sure what game you've been playing but ALTTP is piss easy. The portals are to encourage exploration. It's not laziness. The mirror thing is lazy if anything. The dark world is a lazy copy of Hyrule.

Samus Aran said:

Too bad the items in any Zelda game are never used effectively throughout the game. Most of the items are also boring (in any Zelda game). Metroid is far superior to Zelda in this regard (at least to me).

And the dungeons being longer isn't good when they're pretty boring and standard. ALBW is a HH game, so dungeons are made shorter because of that.

The paint wall mechanic is the most creative and original thing to hit the Zelda franchise since a very long time.

Skyward Sword fixed that because the puzzle nature that it have. Maybe the whip is the only one that you don't use a lot.

Samus Aran said:

Not sure what game you've been playing but ALTTP is piss easy.

Not as easy as ALBW, and I replayed ALTTP inmediatly after ALBW hero mode.